Train Depot FAILURE; Court hunt alternate (#50)

joee5

Elite Member
So I was excited being able to hunt an old train depot, allegedly from the early 1800's. The entire drive there I envisioned silver and injuns and large coppers, but that didnt happen. So much debris and trash made my sidekick go nuts, overloaded and shut down a few times. I gave it about an hour before I went crazy too. I'll go back in a week or so, after figuring out how to go about hunting the depot successfully.
Some pics of the inside.....

So on my way home, as I still had to urge to dig, I stopped at a basketball court and hunted the perimeter of it. Walked away with a total of (87) coins, all of which are clad and the oldest being a 1947 Nickel.
Today's hunt puts me at over 2,000 coins dug so far this year. Which I think is an accomplishment in itself. :D
But I found this Ritz Carlton pen which I think is neat and high class. It writes real nice and I can brag (or LIE) to my coworkers about staying at the Ritz, being that I got a pen to prove it :p
Caught a lotta flak from the Mrs, I forgot it was Palm Sunday and didnt accompany her to church. Is okay though as the Church done more sinning than me anyhow :roll:

Im sore and tired but it's all worth it in the end. Because you never know what you might find and dig up.
Hope others got out today and got some swing time in.
Happy hunting

After submitting this thread it is number 9,000 for me. :wow::cool::p;):D:yes::shock::laughing::lol:

Maybe next time. :yes: I say sift that thing! I bet there's coins around the edges or maybe old locks too! Who knows! The imagination runs wild what could be under there. :yes:

Grats on the clad.

G2M

So I was excited being able to hunt an old train depot, allegedly from the early 1800's. The entire drive there I envisioned silver and injuns and large coppers, but that didnt happen. So much debris and trash made my sidekick go nuts, overloaded and shut down a few times. I gave it about an hour before I went crazy too. I'll go back in a week or so, after figuring out how to go about hunting the depot successfully.
Some pics of the inside.....

So on my way home, as I still had to urge to dig, I stopped at a basketball court and hunted the perimeter of it. Walked away with a total of (87) coins, all of which are clad and the oldest being a 1947 Nickel.
Today's hunt puts me at over 2,000 coins dug so far this year. Which I think is an accomplishment in itself. :D
But I found this Ritz Carlton pen which I think is neat and high class. It writes real nice and I can brag (or LIE) to my coworkers about staying at the Ritz, being that I got a pen to prove it :p
Caught a lotta flak from the Mrs, I forgot it was Palm Sunday and didnt accompany her to church. Is okay though as the Church done more sinning than me anyhow :roll:

Im sore and tired but it's all worth it in the end. Because you never know what you might find and dig up.
Hope others got out today and got some swing time in.
Happy hunting

After submitting this thread it is number 9,000 for me. :wow::cool::p;):D:yes::shock::laughing::lol:

#9000 wow! :shock:

Maybe next time. :yes: I say sift that thing! I bet there's coins around the edges or maybe old locks too! Who knows! The imagination runs wild what could be under there. :yes:

Grats on the clad.

G2M

MAN OH MAN, I didnt even consider sifting it. I'm reach out to my buddy again and ask him if I can go back one day SOON. Thanks Greek

Dude, take a rake, clean the surface debris up, then swing... would be my mode of attack there!

2000 coins this year? Thats insane!

There was an old train depot near me too, nothing left there but shows up on maps. I think I may hit that spot sometime soon.

Congrats on all your coins!!!

Well, you beat me by 8 on the coin count, but I beat you in clad dollar volume! Plus, I only drove 20 miles round trip, and didnt get into trouble about skipping Mass!! :laughing: I'da snatched all those signs and for sure that electrical panel and those Tupperware tubs and those garbage cans even!!! Door knobs too! Screw the coins! That place was just full of value! Signs alone are solid $100! You woulda come out way ahead if you were thinking!

Get with the Program buddy! You aint never gonna buy yourself any silver thisaway!:laughing: Hell! Theres a 10 ton floor jack sitting right in plain sight! Thats a solid $5 right there! Some people focus on pennies, when the REAL money is right under their nose! FFS!
Mud

Yikes! I'd try raking it first to see if that helps. If not, 1/4" hail screen and go sifting. Wear a mask!

Awaiting an answer as we speak. Heck I'd go tomorrow if he gave thumbs up :D

Dude, take a rake, clean the surface debris up, then swing... would be my mode of attack there!

I was so focused on the hunt nothing else mannered. "Tunnel vision" :lol:
2000 coins this year? Thats insane!

There was an old train depot near me too, nothing left there but shows up on maps. I think I may hit that spot sometime soon.

Congrats on all your coins!!!

I feel all 2,000 of them. Multiply that by 3 or 4 though counting trash digs too :(

Well, you beat me by 8 on the coin count, but I beat you in clad dollar volume! Plus, I only drove 20 miles round trip, and didnt get into trouble about skipping Mass!! :laughing: I'da snatched all those signs and for sure that electrical panel and those Tupperware tubs and that garbage can even!!! Door knobs too! Screw the coins! That place was just full of value! You woulda come out way ahead if you were thinking!

Get with the Program buddy! You aint never gonna buy yourself any silver thisaway!:laughing:
Mud

No way Mud. My buddy bought the place and hes gonna renovate the inside. Thats all his equipment :laughing:

Your Buddy Owns it? Screw him! No doubt he has insurance! Careful though, friends always seem to clutter up a guys Life with projects like this! You woulda done him a favor by swiping those scaffold sections! Another $200! I bet there was miles of copper wire in that mess right? And look at that freakin 12' ladder leaning there! Good gosh! Another easy $50!
Mud

sift it, i agree on that, a simple sifter could be built out of 1/2 inch square hardware cloth and some scrap wood, cost about five bucks with plenty of leftover screen for future projects. Should not have a lot of dirt build up under there, I would rake and shovel the top 3 to 4 inches and run it through the sifter, and pick out the goodies, even better get someone else to rake and shovel, and you just run the sifter and pick out the goodies,lol

Your Buddy Owns it? Screw him! No doubt he has insurance! Careful though, friends always seem to clutter up a guys Life with projects like this! You woulda done him a favor by swiping those scaffold sections! Another $200! I bet there was miles of copper wire in that mess right?
Mud

Copper galore.
He actually just purchased it a few months ago and the surrounding land. I'd give a brief history of it, but then it wouldnt be a secret anymore :D

You need to borrow one of these from a scrap yard for a few minutes, to pull the iron and steel junk out of the ground, then you can get busy getting the good stuff!

serveimage

No doubt theres a coin or two in that mess....look at that floor construction? No subfloor!..Surely something fell through there over the years...but really, thats a hell of a mess only an archeologist with a DotGov grant would love...You did good at getting out of there and heading straight to the BB court...

Hey, congrats on your 9k post this am!..I get paid a dollar for each post of mine from the Admin,,I'm sure you are set up likewise, with a dime per reply, and a nickel per 'thumbs up' so good job there too Bro! :laughing:
Mud

(just shiddinya all...):laughing:

No doubt theres a coin or two in that mess....look at that floor construction? No subfloor!..Surely something fell through there over the years...but really, thats a hell of a mess only an archeologist with a DotGov grant would love...You did good at getting out of there and heading straight to the BB court...
Mud

Now that I got the sifter idea, I'm lookin to go back. :D

Be sure you wear a dust mask. There may be asbestos lingering around all that mess. I bet you will find some interesting items even if you don't find any coins. But I bet there's a few coins there somewhere down in that dirt.

G2M

sift it, i agree on that, a simple sifter could be built out of 1/2 inch square hardware cloth and some scrap wood, cost about five bucks with plenty of leftover screen for future projects. Should not have a lot of dirt build up under there, I would rake and shovel the top 3 to 4 inches and run it through the sifter, and pick out the goodies, even better get someone else to rake and shovel, and you just run the sifter and pick out the goodies,lol

+1 on the cheap sifter setup.

Hey, congrats on your 9k post this am!..I get paid a dollar for each post of mine from the Admin,,I'm sure you are set up likewise, with a dime per reply, and a nickel per 'thumbs up' so good job there too Bro! :laughing:
Mud

(just shiddinya all...):laughing:

Dude, they pay me three times that much to keep things around here interesting, otherwise, think how boring it would be...

Remember the old saying "no such thing as bad publicity?" Well, I used that angle when facilitating my contract!

Heck, even the numbers on MY websites go nuts when there's "bad publicity" here.. No lie!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom