Build a nice fire pit for six bucks!

dan

Elite Member
pit3.jpg

OUR NEW FIRE PIT.

For the Memorial Day weekend, Kathy and I built a fire pit in the back yard. I'm posting this here because some of you may want to copy the idea.

After looking at several ready-made fire pits, we decided to do our own. It cost us about twelve bucks - six blocks (four quarter-round and two straight) at less than two dollars each at Menard's. (My subject line says six dollars, but that is wrong.)

It took us six minutes to "build": Five minutes to haul the blocks from the car to the back yard, and one minute to arrange them in an oval shape.

We just laid them out, on top of the ground. They aren't buried or attached to each other. (Kathy did stack some other stones around the outside that we had lying around the yard).

This is a photo of the finished pit (those are ashes inside, from some limbs we burned). (I trimmed a lot of trees in the yard, and we wanted to burn the limbs rather than pay somebody to haul them away. Plus, we like cookouts.) (In Champaign, we can burn limbs in our yards but not leaves.)

Oh - it's about four feet by three feet. Here it is in action:

pit1.jpg

Thats cool, I have been thinking of building one in my backyard for a while.

Livewire, I was wrong about the cost. The blocks that are on sale are smaller than the ones I used.

The ones you need cost something like $1.87 or $1.97 each, so your total cost is about twelve dollars.

Hope you can afford it!

Carefull the heat doesn't turn them to dust! We have been using old (Metal) washing machine tubs and they work great. Cladius.

Back
Top Bottom