How many silver coins are being melted?

HipsterKitty

I'm just curious which silver coins are sold for melt most often. The other day I was planning on sending my '42 Merc and '58 Rosie off for a couple bucks, but now I'm wondering if it's better to hold onto them since they become less common every time one is scrapped. Do you think these will be worth something to collectors in the future? I'm obviously not thinking short-term, but let's say another 50 years from now or so.

I wouldn't bother sending in 2 dimes to be melted. The postage would eat up what they're worth in melt. Many members here are into silver hoarding and would probably be interested in buying them from you. Good luck with your future hunts and CRHing. : )

When it comes to silver melting, its normally people with hands full of worn coins or the cheap coins (1 oz basic cheapo 'congradulations' etc coins with marks) that send them ion to melt, then its jewelry and finds...not two coins..id say keep them and add them later to other finds you have..or you could go through your old unused jewelry or snapped necklaces, single ear rings etc and check them for silver and gold with the acid tests and stone.

Get them all together and have their weighed and check the value then see if some smelters will give you what you want

You would be better off selling them on here. Members will buy them up quickly and you can get melt or sometimes a little more. If you sent them in for melt you would only get 90% for them.

I like how many offers I'm getting. :P

I'm probably going to hold onto them, but it's nice to know they're an easy sell here. :D
If I do decide to part with them, I'll hold an auction here.

How many are being melted? Millions of them almost every day.

US 90% junk silver is the #1 thing refiners can melt into bars for a profit because they know exactly what the metal composition is.

Then the bars are shipped to China, but that's another subject. :roll:

How many are being melted? Millions of them almost every day.

US 90% junk silver is the #1 thing refiners can melt into bars for a profit because they know exactly what the metal composition is.

Then the bars are shipped to China, but that's another subject. :roll:

I don't like the "another subject" that's why I horde anything precious.......metal that is.

Back
Top Bottom