Facts about the Lincoln Penny

dan

Elite Member

What was the first coin you ever found with a metal detector? For the great majority of us, it was a Lincoln penny. There are more Lincoln pennies out there right now than all the other coins combined.

How much do you know about the Lincoln cent?

Who was responsible for its being issued?

Why was it such a gutsy move?

Why Lincoln?

And who was Viktoras Barnauskas and why was he important?

These questions and more are answered in this program about the lowly Lincoln penny.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Thanks Dan, Good info.

I bet it was something seeing the mem for the very 1st time.

Yes! I was an 11-year-old coin collector, and it was the first time in my lifetime there was a "new" coin.

In 1959, the penny had been unchanged for 50 years, the nickel 21 years, the dime 43 years, and the quarter 27 years.

So to see that brand new Lincoln Memorial back on the common Lincoln head penny was just unreal - it was mind-numbing.

First coin I ever found was a quarter. In parent's back yard about 4" down. It was clad so probably fell out of the truck after 1987. I still have it too!

Dan, do you still have your collected coins from back then ??

I have a few of them. I hate to admit this, but....

I was an avid coin collector from about age 8 to 13. As I discussed in my book, my father brought home hundreds of dollars in coins every Saturday, and I was able to go through them and pick out the good ones. And there were TONS of good ones in the early 1950s. (I could only keep a few pennies each week, because I had no money to trade for the other good coins - ARG!)

But when I was 13, I became enamoured with fishing. We had moved from the city to the suburbs, and a nice bass-filled creek was nearby.

I HAD to have a Zebco 202 fishing reel ($5.95), and the only way I could buy one was to....(OH NO).... cash in my coin collection!

I got the reel (and I did have a lot of fun fishing with it for the next several years), but I lost most of my pennies.

I hate that story, and I have no idea why I just dragged myself through that memory again.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom