"Unsearched coin rolls" on eBay...

HipsterKitty

I'm really tempted to buy some of these. I've seen a few end at under $10 including shipping, and they always have something nice on at least one end. But that's what's throwing me off. Something's fishy when EVERY roll has an Indian Head or a dime stuck in it, conveniently on the end. I'm just worried that these are, at best, just the Indian or the dime and then 49 wheats and nothing else worth my time. Have any of you bought one of these before? Did it turn out to be legitimately unsearched, or was it intentionally filled with junk?

Yes, and you're right that there's usually 49 common 40's and 50's wheaties to fill the roll. Never believe the 'unsearched' story. There are some here who know who the reputable dealers are. Maybe they'll share with you that info. 'Buyer Beware' is always a good thing to keep in mind. : )

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Oh well. I have one ending in a couple minutes for $8 total, unless someone outbids me. I kinda want to figure this out for myself. :P I figure eight bucks isn't terrible for two Indians and 48 wheats, especially since I haven't found any Indians yet. And, who knows, I may have found a legitimate seller.

The seller speaks the truth. He/she has not searched the rolls. Any key dates, etc have long been removed. They are just moving merchandise to the highest bidder..........

If you want some IHs...common dates...why not put an ad in the WTB section of this Forum! Sorry, KT sees you got around 45 posts...you need to get that up to at least 100 before you can enjoy that perk! But it won't be long, just keep commenting! LOL

KT purchased a nice suite of 50 of them for $60 from one of the Forum members a bit back! Not too many duplications either! :D:D

Don't waste your money on those.what they do is drop an Indian cent in.And not very good ones at that.Then drop in 49 wheats they buy in large lots.It's like those mystery bags at card stores.They bag up junk cards and make hundreds off of them.They're not lying,They don't search the rolls.

I did look at this guy's feedback, and a few people complained about "only" finding five IHs or whatever. That's not a bad deal in my book. Maybe the seller's story is true about finding them in his grandpa's attic, and they haven't been sorted through in decades at least. Who knows. I guess this is like getting a lottery ticket for the first time. It's either going to be a disappointment, or cause me to waste all my money on garbage because I want more. :P

I don't know what your point is, honestly. That's a completely reasonable claim. Sure it's probably not true, but it's not at all far-fetched.

I don't know what your point is, honestly. That's a completely reasonable claim. Sure it's probably not true, but it's not at all far-fetched.

That is the common claim.Then you get the rolls,and they have those machine rolled tube ends.Something old rolls don't have.And Gramps couldn't do by hand.Buy a couple rolls anyways.I just used clad i found to buy a few.The good one was the guy opening the sample rolls and averaged out how many VBD's he found.Something like a 3 out of 10 roll average.If i'd have found those,i'd have busted all the rolls open.

I kind of look at as entertainment. 10 bucks, you search and seperate for an hour or so. Maybe you found 3 dollars worth of coinage, but had fun doing it.
Not a bad loss. I spent $10 in gas to find $3 in clad and maybe a relic or 2 from the '30s. But had fun doing it, so to me it was worth it. Or as the NY Lottery says: "Hey, You Never Know".

I think the point was that it was a fabricated claim to peak interest and up the value of otherwise picked over common cents.

I would not believe any seller would offer rolls or bags of coins they had not searched to find more value - especially not on eBay.

I know for $11 at the flea market last time i got a standing liberty quarter,seated dime,v nickel,and s mint war nickel.You can have fun haggling at the flea market early morning or late in the day too.If you do buy some rolls,stack the wheats in years,teens,twenty's,thirties,etc.Also look at the quality.If you don't find anything that stands out,switch to a different seller.You think the coin roll thing is iffy? Buy an autograph off someone from ebay.The prisons would be full prosecuting sellers on ebay.

I bought a roll. The seller never claimed that they were unsearched. I was actually impressed with what I got. Said there would be one IH penny and one merc dime. What I got was 3 very nice IH"s they look almost untouched, a really good condition 1943 merc, and wheat pennys from 1920s,30S,40s,50s. I was most impressed with the 3 Indian heads!

IMAG0147.jpg

The backs look just as good as fronts! Oh I also got a 43 steel penny too!

Back
Top Bottom