hercule???help

mkinct

i need help i found this in a lot dating back to the early 1800's at first i thought it was an old coin now i don't know what i have those things on the back look like it was fastened some where but any one with information would be great

Attachments

• hercule.JPG
    hercule.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 230
Thats nice and a bit different.
The fastenings don't have much length and don't look to have the strength to be hammered into say wood, yet to sharp for cloth.
Hercule is Hercules and we can clearly see his famous club. Got to be European or produced by an immigrant perhaps to show the strength of the article it was attached to as an early bit of positive advertising.
Lets hope someone can come in with real facts.

this thing still has me baffeled still anyone have any ideas??? any at all...

:grin:

There was a baseball player in the 1800's named Ed Crane, known as "Hercules". Maybe having the bat behind him has some bearing, maybe not. I'd be willing to bet it has some though. Just a thought....;)

HH as always,

Bri-

I dont mean to dig up old topics, but about a year ago I found this coin type object as well. I found it in a park thats about 2min walking distance from my house, but mine has an 8 chains looped together hooked onto it by a hole at the top. Its like someone drilled a hole at the top of the coin thing, then looped some chains through it. I cant see it being a neclace since the chains are of decent size, rouphly each chain is a little smaller than a dime each and my Hercule clin thing is the exact type found by Mcinst

Sticky,a mount is what it says it is.It would be something decorative mounted on,say on a leather harness,which is what i think yours is.The two points you can see would have gone through the leather and bent over the otherside so it wouldnt come off,maybe the leather has rotted away and thats all which would be left over.Mounts have been used for hundreds of years and still are today,here,s another example of one,this one is from the 1700,s.As i said,a mount could be on anything really,clothing,a belt or a bucket,whatever they wanted to put it on.The badge on your car which shows the make or model is a mount.

Attachments

• mount 17th cent.jpg
    mount 17th cent.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 148
You mean those 2 points in the top left picture, the 2 long triangular things? Thats the only thing (besides the chain) that differs between ours. Mine has no fastenings, only a hole drilled at the top (very small) with a chain attached.

Back
Top Bottom