Horrible Experience

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
I was just in the backyard and to my surprise the 50c or higher button lit up and it was doing a constant 95, 96, 98 all of the time. It said it was about 4 inches down. I dug a 9 inch hole and did not find a thing. I narrowed it down between the hole I dug and even made it wider and found nothing at all. It was showing constant at 90's on my Delta 4000 and I pinpointed it, but it kept saying it was in the hole but it wasn't. Can anyone help? I really want to know what was causing that. I just dug up a piece of a can that said a quarter on it as well, but I never had a signal go this high and stay like that, I really want to know what the heck it is.

this is pretty common. i have a 4" quarter in my yard that i can't get to 9" down. it's something BIG and deep. do you still get a strong signal when you lift the coil up about 4"?

abandon ship; there's nothing good there.

It doesn't happen often but sometimes my AT Pro does the same. First thing I would is go over that spot again and raise the coil 5-10 inches off the ground. If you are still getting a signal it is likely a large object that is deeper but has your detector fooled. Sometimes I have had very small objects like buckshot and I just didn't find it. Sometimes a " hot rock" will cause a detector to sound off.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I just thought of something. It was directly in line with my clothes line I had there 10 years back. I am not going to give it a chance anymore. I bet it's an old clothes hangar. I had the same thing happen to me at the park, a clothes hangar giving me trouble on top of the soil. It doesn't deserve my digging.

You need to an open "play" area of a park where targets are spread out and diverse and learn the machine. This was obviously something big and deep. Most of the time the lift coil or pin point sizing will clue in on this. Once you hit many coins and good objects over and over you will notice how solid/full/round the tone is. You'll no longer chase chirps or 5ft deep car hoods. Just takes time. Go to a clad filled park and gain knowledge and confidence. Big iron does crazy things. But be thankful you don't have and F2, far worse with these type of targets or ghost signals.

You could call that " BOOM BABY " guy ,, I bet he'd be glad to help,,, :laughing:

...With a backhoe and 40 lbs of TNT...

I have a similar thing in my yard. I keep thinking of digging it up just out of curiosity, but it'd be a pretty big hole. My wife would probably push me in.:lol:

But be thankful you don't have and F2, far worse with these type of targets or ghost signals.

Really? That's comical, can't say I've ever had that problem with the F2 and I normally hunt old homesteads.:roll: Guess that's why I have a pinpointer!

Rusty iron will produce high tones, also a detector bases depth on size of target. It tries to give depth based on coin size objects. A BB on the surface could ring up as a coin at 2-4 inches and a rusty man hole cover at 3 feet could ring up as a silver coin at 4". A pop can at 15" may ring up as a quarter at 4-6". Thats why everyone advises to lift your coil up. A coin will disappear and a large object will stay about the same. GL. Tom

I had the same thing happen to me in my back yard. I dug and dug but still....nothing. So I got out my big shovel...and by golly, two and a half feet later I hit the door off of n old pot bellied stove. At least it wont drive me nuts wondering what it was

I had the same thing happen to me in my back yard. I dug and dug but still....nothing. So I got out my big shovel...and by golly, two and a half feet later I hit the door off of n old pot bellied stove. At least it wont drive me nuts wondering what it was
Hah, wow.

lol. to be totally honest with you guys though, i feel that discrimination mode on this machine is the best mode that can be used with it. it might be because i have 5 hours using that mode, but the signals are much more clearer to what it is. i can easily find the vdi number on discrimination mode and then switch to a1 quick to confirm that it is a target. the a1 mode has a certain sound that shows you exactly where the item is. both of these modes confirm the same vdi number, i am digging. i think this trick will work wonders for me. just have to get more practice with it all.

I just thought of something. It was directly in line with my clothes line I had there 10 years back. I am not going to give it a chance anymore. I bet it's an old clothes hangar. I had the same thing happen to me at the park, a clothes hangar giving me trouble on top of the soil. It doesn't deserve my digging.

Clothes lines are great places to detect. Often coins were left in pockets and end up on the ground under them.

Yeah I noticed that near the old clothes line that I found a bunch of coins. I am finally catching on with my detector though. The dry ground made it incredibly difficult to detect. Now that it rained on the ground, it's TONS easier and I am actually able to use the full potential of this Delta and I am like still stunned with the value.

Yeah, like others have said you've got a big deep target. I had the same issue on the same machine. I was detecting the site of an old speak easy. Got a slamming 98-99 that the D4K said was about 4 inches. 18 inches down I found a whole beer can crushed flat on it's side. Man was I disappointed!

Back
Top Bottom