Searching for a 10k Gold Ring. Ace 250 Advice Please!

ZachSS

Hello my best friends Dad lost his wedding ring about 20 years ago, he marked off the area he said is 90% sure of where he lost it.
It is a 10k gold ring and that's all he mentioned of it.

I am using an Ace 250, should I use it in just Jewelry mode or should I Discriminate even more like the Silver Section to just focus solely on Gold?

Thanks!

Most 10k rings fall in the foil range on the Ace and that's why I love the Relics mode so much. Also, the size of the ring-small-foil-medium-nickel, large-tab.:cool:

Most 10k rings fall in the foil range on the Ace and that's why I love the Relics mode so much. Also, the size of the ring-small-foil-medium-nickel, large-tab.:cool:

Thanks a lot! And what about sensitivity? Does it effect the way gold can be found?

Use all metal mode, disc out iron and go with 6 of 8 bars sensitivity. Good luck.

All of my 10K with the Ace were solid nickel readings.

Also, I am a firm believer that most people who lose something have "no clue" where it was lost.

Been lucky to find 2 "lost" rings. Both were nowhere near where both said were lost.

Expand the search area little by little.

Best of luck.

Thanks everyone! Everything has been noted!
I tried for about 2 hours searching in his little area.
I will try again probably tomorrow and will bring bug spray this time. Haha

Found: 10+ gun shells, some old copper wiring, few nails, and a broken glass bottle.
Soil: Sucks! Mostly rock, and clay like.
I live about 10 minutes away from the guy, and my soil is completely different.

Also, I am a firm believer that most people who lose something have "no clue" where it was lost.

Been lucky to find 2 "lost" rings. Both were nowhere near where both said were lost.

Best of luck.

So true. They notice it missing and assume that it is was lost in that area.

Best of luck.

Thats what I would have said!! :D

even if he did loose it in that area if it's grass it could be anywhere after being mowed over ... Good Luck ... I'm on a search for a guys dad's ring but hasn't a clue where it was lost

Definitely dig every non-iron signal. It could come up as a pull-tab, nickel or foil depending on thickness, texture, soil mineralization, and the angle at which it is resting in the ground.

Don't just ask him where he lost it, but how. The activity around the event might affect your search area. No matter where I'm told a ring has been lost, I typically start with an area about flinging distance in all directions from the area of activity. Grid the area and overlap your swings by at least 50%.

Depending on the soil, rain fall, land use, etc., it could be just under the surface or pretty deep. I recently dug a class ring that was lost in the mid 80's (30 years ago) at 2 inches down. I would have expected it to be deeper, but it wasn't.

Good luck! It sounds like you have a good chance of finding it. If it's a big area, you could also call in some help.

You never know.

Back
Top Bottom