What is best detector for mineralized soil??

daveinoregon

Elite Member
Hello all,

I know, I know..this should go in another section. I got a couple replies in what should I buy section but this area is more heavily viewed.

I currently use a fisher F5 and the ground I detect in is highly mineralized with lots of iron. Best I can get a good tone is at about 5-6 inches max using best settings, stock coil, properly ground balanced and using headphones.

Problem is at this depth I mostly get modern coins with occasional old one. When I do hit an iffy deeper signal is when I usually hit the older coins at 6" plus in depth, I dig most old silvers and wheats at 8" actually thats the deepest I can get a iffy signal that even makes me want to try to dig it.

The F5 is a coin beast for under 6 inches in my soil and I have gone other areas where it goes much deeper. Problem is I dont travel far away often.

I have considered buying the 11" DD coil but I would gain about and inch or two max maybe with that purchase??

My question is this....can you reccomend any detectors that do well in highly mineralized soil with lots of iron where I could significantly increase my depth??

The most I could spend max would be about 900$ If you have any experience with a machine under this price range that you know will get good depth/target seperation/ tone in these type of detecting conditions plz let me know.

I also would prefer to buy a new detector if possible...I have a hard time spending more that a couple hundred for used electronics..plz keep that in mind.

I would appreciate any insight or possible answers, suggestions you might have.

As for my hunting style...I primarily do woods, (old townsite, homesteads and such) parks, some beaches ( dry sand only) and very rarely I will go nugget shooting. For trashy areas and nugget shooting I use a 5"DD coil.

Thx all!! :)

Monolyth

Research posts here, on other detecting websites and the general internet (Google) for posts by Mike Hillis. He is, bar none, the Guru on the F5. He's posted some really great stuff on the intricacies of operating the F5 to its max performance. Well worth your time to find and read.

I have talked to Mike. I read all his posts before I bought the F5. It is an amazing machine, light..versatile, adjustable on the fly..but my soil conditions prohibit deeper detecting.

Just talked to Mike recently and he advised maybe trying the 11"DD coil...for possibly another 2 inch gain.

Thx TerraDigger for pointing me to him, he truly is the guru on the F5!!

Other than using that coil with my soil conditions I have met the limitations of this detector here though and am searching for something deeper.

The F5 will always hold a place in my arsenal though. When I go detecting with buddies they are alway amazed at how fast I can pull coins from the ground...they have nicknamed it the "ATM machine", LOL.

Thankyou,
Monolyth

Look into the Minelab Safari, it's right at the limit of your budget. Maybe look into the F70 as well if you're partial to Fisher and it won't max out your budget.

A little additional input for you......Monolyth

CmBtVet does have a point......if ya wanna punch through the mineralization..consider the Minelab. The F75 is as deep(er) as the Safari...but can be overly sensitive to EMI at times. There is the new Garrett AT Pro......but rumor has it that they have coil falsing issues (not totally proven but highly suspect at this time). But it is supposed to be a real a**kicker unit for the money provided the coil issue is not a issue. You can read about the AT Pro at Tom Dankowski's website.
Its a honest appraisal of the AT Pro, (as all of Tom's appraisals are) as it stands now.
You may wish to post your post at his site, they have some really saavy users there of all kinds of units who hunt under the same criteria you do or plan to do.
I use a new Teknetics T2 myself.........but I haven't hardly any time on it. So I can't recommend it till further testing.

The DD coil would make a hugh difference and 2 inches in metal detecting is a big deal.;)

Back
Top Bottom