Time for Deus?

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I have great success with my AT PRO as long as the coins/objects are 4-5" or shallower.
I almost never miss these targets (I think).
From having seen, read and spoken to folks, I think the Deus may be the machine for my hunting style.
Recovery time and additional depth being the biggest advantages.
Honestly, I would really like to get wireless headphones again too:D

Can anyone shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages of the Deus.

Firsthand experience only please.:D

Last edited:
Are you wanting to only here from Deus users who have used At Pro??

If this is the case,,,sorry I can't help you.

Are you wanting to only here from Deus users who have used At Pro??

If this is the case,,,sorry I can't help you.

No, not necessary.
Since you have experience with the Deus (Plus I really value your opinion) I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

Ok im gonna get to the point I was a at pro user AND was very good with it found some killer relics with it too. Buy a deus go back over the places you hunted with the at pro and didnt think you missed anything and you WILL see what all the fuss is about. I know I know all the pro users will get bent out of shape but im telling you from EXPERIENCE with both machines you will be amazed at what you left behind.:shock: btw my grammer stinks sorry :roll:

I started with the ATP. The Deus is in another league.

Any new's on the new 4.0 version coming out, and what will the differences be from the previous version out now ?

New version might be out in March but that's just another rumor but XP wont release it till they are completely ready as it should have been released already. V4 really does not do much for the coin shooter but does have some nice additions that will be appealing. Myself in the last few days will be adding another Deus to my collection as I have owned 3 of them and always come back but not because of depth and simplicity but do to the weight and relic capabilities. The Deus is nothing like my 3030, nowhere as deep on silver and if you want to dig more trash, Deus is the way to go but you need to really listen to that machine and unless you can decipher bottlecaps with your ears or switch KHZ programs BC will eat you up. I have attended the Andy Sabisch bootcamp and learned a ton from him and read his book. The Dues for me is easy to comprehend but a lot to learn from that machine. If you are not a tech kinda guy it will be very frustrating because you don't load programs using the exchange program its all done manually. Presets work but will totally limit you because remember, the XP is a European designed machine designed around their style hunting..no bottlecaps...pretty much no trash because they are pasture type of hunting. For me its not complicated but WAY more complicated than the 3030 if you really want to get the most out of it. Here is what the new V4 will get you and if you don't buy the new coil some things wont work without it.

SOFTWARE V.4.0
These latest additions can be found in the V 4.0 software:
Compatibility with MI-6 Pinpointer.
Compatibility with the 2 new optional high frequency search coils (15, 30 or 55 kHz).
Improved mineralization rejection.
Reactivity level 3 is more efficient.
A more versatile Reactivity level of 2.5.
Advanced Reactivity levels for program N°10 GOLDFIELD.
Improved identification on large iron targets.
Better ground tracking, now independent to the current Reactivity level.
Tones can be adjusted to reach 1000 Hz.
Target ID Normalization feature is now incorporated into the headphones.

Hope this helps.

Ok im gonna get to the point I was a at pro user AND was very good with it found some killer relics with it too. Buy a deus go back over the places you hunted with the at pro and didnt think you missed anything and you WILL see what all the fuss is about. I know I know all the pro users will get bent out of shape but im telling you from EXPERIENCE with both machines you will be amazed at what you left behind.:shock: btw my grammer stinks sorry :roll:

Thanks Calabash!
I have read several of your posts and gasp - even watched a video!
I respect your opinion on this machine and will excuse poor grammar and spelling:lol:

New version might be out in March but that's just another rumor but XP wont release it till they are completely ready as it should have been released already. V4 really does not do much for the coin shooter but does have some nice additions that will be appealing. Myself in the last few days will be adding another Deus to my collection as I have owned 3 of them and always come back but not because of depth and simplicity but do to the weight and relic capabilities. The Deus is nothing like my 3030, nowhere as deep on silver and if you want to dig more trash, Deus is the way to go but you need to really listen to that machine and unless you can decipher bottlecaps with your ears or switch KHZ programs BC will eat you up. I have attended the Andy Sabisch bootcamp and learned a ton from him and read his book. The Dues for me is easy to comprehend but a lot to learn from that machine. If you are not a tech kinda guy it will be very frustrating because you don't load programs using the exchange program its all done manually. Presets work but will totally limit you because remember, the XP is a European designed machine designed around their style hunting..no bottlecaps...pretty much no trash because they are pasture type of hunting. For me its not complicated but WAY more complicated than the 3030 if you really want to get the most out of it. Here is what the new V4 will get you and if you don't buy the new coil some things wont work without it.

SOFTWARE V.4.0
Compatibility with the 2 new optional high frequency search coils (15, 30 or 55 kHz).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, great info as always!
Even though this is not really what I wanted to hear, this is why I asked the question.

AIRForceMike

Thank's, you answered all my questions , and realize the Deus is definitely not for me, and the CTX3030s are best for me, if i ever go relic hunting, most likely not moving to the beach, i will run the F75se on my aunts 300 acre farm or the CTX3030 with the 17, Thanks, bottle cap queen, Ctx better on deeper silver, V4 not a great coin shooter is all I need to know , Thanks again you saved me 1500-- 2000 clams , Earl

SOFTWARE V.4.0

Hope this helps.

Very informative,thanks.Do you gold hunt,I think you said you have a new deus coming,is it the higher frequencies your after?

Thank's, you answered all my questions , and realize the Deus is definitely not for me, and the CTX3030s are best for me, if i ever go relic hunting, most likely not moving to the beach, i will run the F75se on my aunts 300 acre farm or the CTX3030 with the 17, Thanks, bottle cap queen, Ctx better on deeper silver, V4 not a great coin shooter is all I need to know , Thanks again you saved me 1500-- 2000 clams , Earl

V4 is really designed for the gold prospector not the coin hunter but remember, Deus is always making changes and listening to the US consumer, what I love is when they make changes you can download it for free and you have a new machine, plus a 5 year warranty. Cant beat that. :D

The mighty Deus

I will try to list and discuss what it does above average and below average,,depending on how you view it compared to other typical Vlf detectors.

I will also relate to minelab's etrac and CTX models a bit.

First off weight,,for an advanced and higher performance detector it leads the pack here#1.

Cost

In the price range with Minelab etrac and White's V3i,,,,cheaper though than Minlab CTX.

Power supply used

All Deus components use housed li pro batteries.
They have a good proven track record.
With full charge,,,hunt all day,, no worries.

Can be charged via wall outlets,,,auto with proper adapter,,,small portable pack like used to charge cell phones, etc. Even a small portable charger exist that runs on I think a pair of aa batteries.

I should point out,,,batteries are not covered under 5year warranty plan,,,although I'm sure if you had any problems with a newer unit,,,you would get service at no charge.

Five year warranty,,,transferrable on all components.

Configurations
Many configurations are available.
All configurations have a coil and a rod,,,,what else you use is up to you.
I highly recommend at the very least the configuration with a coil,,rod,,and remote.

Wireless headphones are available,,,they are in my opinion as far as lack of delay,,,the spot on sound the system produces,,,again #1.

Currently 2 kinds of wiresless headphones offered,,,WS-5 is a more tradition looking full dear cup version,,and WS-4 a back phone type. These here cooler to use in hotter weather,,,but don't mitigate external noise like the full ear cup WS-5s do.

Coils

There are currently 3 sizes,,,9", 11" and a larger 11x13".

The larger here,,Indon't recommend as it makes the Deus very nose heavy,,with added little performed gains other than ground coverage.

The 11" coil likely will yield 1-2" of additional depth,,,but ground minerals and target,,detector settings cs affect this both positively and negatively.

9" coil is the overall better separator,,,yields food depth,,,the better coil for hunting sites laden with nails and iron.

Wired headphones can be used with Deus remote,,,but the smaller jack on headphones is needed.

Emi handling and mitigation

Deus by design is a chirpy machine,,,but make no mistake,,,even with some chirping going on,,it will alert on target ps shallow and deeper.

Deus operates on 4 freqs,,,4, 8, 12, and 18khz.
User can only use one at a time,,,and these freqs when used offer better performance depending on your targets of interest and non interest,,,as well as adding performance depending on your site makeup of metals.

Separation

For its coils sizes compared to other detectors,,,the Deus is supreme.
Separation capabilities can be adjusted on the fly using "reactivity" setting level.

Filtering
Deus operator has options with various amount s of filtering,,,,even be able to turn off. This setting here is key to getting the most depth,especially in higher mineral soils.

Ground balance
Deus has a good system,,,GB can be done in a number of ways.
Tracking to ground,,,pumping ,,manual.

Audio
Deus had top notched audio,,,operator has ability to raise and lower pitch of signals,,,,and the ability to set tone breaks.

Audio using full tones
Again the best here in my opinion,,,an operator can actually run full tones with little or no disc,,,,and the Deus with it superior separation and tonal abilities,,can paint a picture of the ground to operator.

Backlight
Deus gives operator an option for a time out back light,,off setting and on setting.

USB capable hookup
Deus can be hooked to computer and actually receive version updates.
Current version update is 3.2
Also if a person desires,,they can in fact download and use an older version with their Deus unit.

So what are some of the thing Deus can do for you vs other detectors???
Deus sweep speed is very forgiving.

Lots of ground can be covered,,with a seemingly high efficiency,,,deeper targets though a slower than swift sweep speed may be needed depending on ground minerals.

Deus offer on average a higher angle of approach to nonferrous target (with ferrous material near).

Deus' lightweight also adds to this comfort and ability to sweep faster.

Deus has tremendous see through o ferrous materials compared to many other detectors.

Dues audio,,not beep and dig,,but more rolling and zippy sounding.

Where can a person have difficulties or get into trouble using Deus??

Deus will wrap on bigger iron,,a person using non Full Tones setup,,like 2,3,or 4or 5 tones,,,,iron warp signal will appear,,,user will have to learn its sound.
Iron wrap has a distinct sound,,user will have to learn. Using full tones setup,,iron wrap signal easier on average to identify tonally.
Deus target ID unlike in some respects to other Vlf detectors.
Yes it will provide "true vdi" but it will also provide " intentionally" false TID.
Deus engineers basically designed so of a target p's ID was questionable,,,to not report true TID,,,but report higher with higher tone associated.
Operator here will have to learn how to interpret the TID,,,and this is possible with knowing how reactivity setting,,freq setting,,,target size,,,and the horseshoe icon(depth meter of sorts) all dome into agreement.

Can a person cherry pick with Deus???
Certainly
Is it necessarily the best choice detecte for doing? Nope

But who cherry picks all the time??

Deus offers disc settings adjustments,,,as well as notch settings to use to do this.

Target ID in sites with loads of nails and iron
TID here on targets can read anything,,,,from true to all the way down to 00 and up to 98/99 on the screen. (Not a typo here either)

Deus does provide clues of nonferrous hiding in nails and iron. Not as obvious as some may think,,but with training and experience it will become reality apparent.

Programs
User will have slots to load their own programs for detecting,,,they can be saved.
With some experience or advice maybe for a bud or 2,,, good strategy to load certain programs adjacent to one another,,,so fast toggle can be used in the fileld for checking suspect targets.

Tone provided on deeper targets can be faint sounding,,,unlike etrac and CTX.

Deus is a very good detector for lower conductors,,,rings,,,and even smaller.

Version 4 is supposedly on the horizon for Deus,,,,and with it comes some additional coils,,,and if I'm understanding correctly,,these coils will offer higher frequency operation,,and not be a big overall as current coils.

As far as what does version 4 offer the role today using current coils,,,I don't have information.

Overall Deus is a very good detector.
A very versatile detector,,,likes plowed, tilled ground too.

As far as salt water and salt water beach operation,,,I can't help here.

Very informative,thanks.Do you gold hunt,I think you said you have a new deus coming,is it the higher frequencies your after?

I am buying a new Deus, just cause I do like the weight and speed in trash. I do not hunt nuggets by any means so that piece of V4 I wont be benefiting from but I do like some changes they are making like being able to delete the pre-set programs and the change to the KH to 1000 along with some other things that are beneficial.

I should also say,,,when version 4.0 is released.
Since I have 2 complete Deus units,,,I will only load version 4.0 on one of my units,,,,and compare 3.2 to 4.0 and see if I can draw any conclusions.

Deus by design is a chirpy machine,,,but make no mistake,,,even with some chirping going on,,it will alert on target ps shallow and deeper.

Iron wrap has a distinct sound,,user will have to learn. Using full tones setup,,iron wrap signal easier on average to identify tonally.
Deus target ID unlike in some respects to other Vlf detectors.
Yes it will provide "true vdi" but it will also provide " intentionally" false TID.
Deus engineers basically designed so of a target p's ID was questionable,,,to not report true TID,,,but report higher with higher tone associated.
Operator here will have to learn how to interpret the TID,,,and this is possible with knowing how reactivity setting,,freq setting,,,target size,,,and the horseshoe icon(depth meter of sorts) all dome into agreement.

and up to 98/99 on the screen. (Not a typo here either)

Tone provided on deeper targets can be faint sounding,,,unlike etrac and CTX.
Great job as always TNS and what I quoted is about sums it up. If you want a quiet ride, Deus is not that by any means. IF you want deep sounding stop in your tracks silver targets, Deus will find them but not kick you in your b@lls when your over them and prepare to understand a long range of TID's. Some and most don't use the screen but most due, just gives you a sense of understanding what your digging.

AIRForceMike

Ya i can do that with the CTX3030, also if I was in Gold country i would have a GPX5000 for gold, i see Tnss has a 4500, i seen one for sale for 1800.00, but anyway, for the price of a Deus, what i dislike, battery in the coil, prices of coils, charging 3 things up, bottle cap queen , over sea's made, what i was drawn to was the lightness, the remote, is no big deal, just something extra to play with for 800.00 :shock::roll:, just to many negative's over the positive's here, thank's again , since you have had several of Deus, this make's a big difference on my thought's, as i know now, it's not my cup of tea, not saying it's a bad machine, never owned one, but YOU saved me $$$$$, as the Deus sales guy's , can't get to me now, happy hunting bro., your the Best, Earl:waytogo:

Ya i can do that with the CTX3030, also if I was in Gold country i would have a GPX5000 for gold, i see Tnss has a 4500, i seen one for sale for 1800.00, but anyway, for the price of a Deus, what i dislike, battery in the coil, prices of coils, charging 3 things up, bottle cap queen , over sea's made, what i was drawn to was the lightness, the remote, is no big deal, just something extra to play with for 800.00 :shock::roll:, just to many negative's over the positive's here, thank's again , since you have had several of Deus, this make's a big difference on my thought's, as i know now, it's not my cup of tea, not saying it's a bad machine, never owned one, but YOU saved me $$$$$, as the Deus sales guy's , can't get to me now, happy hunting bro., your the Best, Earl:waytogo:

The remote is a big deal,,,some key settings options depending on site in question,,,can't be done without remote (are unavailable to make changes). Now a person who doesn't have a remote,,,,can get with someone who does,,,and build programs with some of these key settings,,,but op without remote won't be able to change these in the field.

Last time I checked GPX 5000 not made in USA.

I've owned two of them. I sold the first one after only one week of ownership because I dug more sweet sounding big iron and bottle caps than any other machine I've used. I did love the light weight, compactness and how easy it was to swing for long periods of time. After a few months I thought more about it and wanted to give it another try. Picked up another one and actually took the time to learn it's language this time around. Long story short, I love it now. I can tell the difference between big iron & bottle caps vs good targets by tone alone now and I'm very happy with the detector. I still prefer the CTX for coin shooting and hunting sites with lots of modern trash. Where the Deus really shines (IMHO) is relic hunting, hunting sites that don't have a lot of modern trash, and cleaning up behind my CTX. Yes the Deus can hunt behind the 3030, and probably a lot of other machines. With its super fast recovery speed it can really pick out non-ferrous targets from iron junk, and when hunting in 18k it will hit coins on edge and other small targets that get missed by other detectors.

To anyone thinking about getting a Deus, I would say this: be prepared to start out digging a lot of iron and bottle caps. Be prepared to be frustrated! There is definitely a learning curve. But if you hang in there long enough you'll start to understand what the machine is telling you and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. It truly is a great detector.

Is it the best choice for all types of detecting? Heck no. But I think it compliments my CTX very well. A person who has a Deus and something like an FBS detector in their arsenal is well prepared for most types of hunting IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know what settings air force mike is using but in my soil deus is a little deeper than the ctx on silver. My soil is sandy and loose so that might be why the ctx is not as deep, very close in performance on depth here though. I use full tones and its very nuanced and when you learn it you can tell bottle caps alot of times from the tone. Coins ,buttons ,etc have a different sound a roundness to the tone. Some of those bottle caps are tough though. For relics I dont believe it can be beat. Alot of people sing the praises for the ctx and for coin shooting thats all good but for relics the deus is winner hands down imo. I hear all this talk about the ctx and its id and get the impression that ctx users dont dig trash because the id is so superior to all machines.:shock: Anyway the deus is a great relic machine and have seen some guys shoot coins with it too succesfully. I believe I cold go to a park and shoot coins with it if I wanted too some of the cvil war era houses I hunt survived til modern times and are infested with pull tabs ,bottle caps and can slaw ,of course ive spent alot of time with this machine in full tones, a thousand or more hours of use I would guess and have used full tones the whole time so I should be able to tell a good target from a bad one. It didnt take me long to figure out I didnt want to be carring a 6 pound boat anchor thur the woods and has to be swung at a granny speed and doesnt do well in tilled fields that it was time to give the ctx a new home. BTW I know its a good park machine,beach machine but for my style of relic hunting it wasnt for me.

Back
Top Bottom