• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is the best saltwater beach detector?

Ok, I'm going to jump in here. You've already gotten great advice from very experience water hunters, of which I am not. But, I just went through the research and buying process myself, so maybe I can help. My budget was a little lower then yours, but I already had a scoop, so it's pretty close to the same.

I'm in Florida, and don't have the awful black sand of other parts, but still your average machine won't cut it, so I still had to figure what would help me accomplish my MD goals. I initially wanted to just hit the wet sand out to about knee-deep, so I figured a non-waterproof machine like the Sovereigns, etc or similar would be fine, but also considered the Excals. After much debate, I had my mind set on a Sov GT, but they seem to be harder then hen's teeth to find at a reasonable ($500-600) price. Then I found a Minelab Explorer SE on the forum for $500. After much thought, and getting advice, I bought it.

So now I have a crazy deep machine that can handle the saltwater. Woohoo! Well, after my first run at the beach, I realized knee-deep is where I may be standing, but when you're trying to work the scoop, and keep the machine dry, it can become cumbersome, and the chance of a mishap goes up tenfold. So I quickly realized that a machine with only a coil that is waterproof may not be the 'perfect' beach machine for me. So that kind of put me back to square one.

I'm keeping the SE as my main land, dry beach, and wet sand machine, as I do really like it, but it won't be going out into the water too much. Better safe then sorry.

So now I was looking for a fully waterproof machine, trying again to stay in the $500-600 price range, new or used, more if I felt I could really justify it to myself.

First machine that came to mind was the Excal. There is one for sale on another forum that seems great, but IMO, there are drawbacks to the Excal. From what I've read, there are suggested modifications and improvements to really make the Excal the end-all machine. I don't know about you, but I don't want to get a machine that I have to do things to to get the most out of it. So while the Excal is a great machine, I felt it wouldn't be great for me.

Next up were the PI machines. I have a Tesoro Compadre which I really enjoy, so the Sand Shark was definitely a runner, not to mention the price and warranty are awesome.

The Fisher CZ's that are waterproof are over my budget, as well as the CTX, and the newer White's. Some of the older versions were either not fully waterproof, or didn't have good user reviews (and I read tons of them), or were overpriced for what they were.

The White Surfmaster PI Dual Field came the closest in budget and what people are saying in general about it, and I'm sure it's a great machine, but I ended up getting a Sand Shark.

I went with the Shark for a few reasons. First, a lifetime warranty on a machine that will be constantly in the salt water is invaluable. I read lots of reports (reviews, forum threads, etc) where a submersible machine's housing or housing seal failed after x number of years, and the repair falls on the owner if it's out of warranty. That could become expensive depending upon how much damage was done. As long as I care for the Shark properly, if the housing fails, I get to send it to Tesoro and they get to fix it.

Price was also a major factor. Money is not the issue, but value is. For $600 I get a brand new machine, and not have to wonder how it was cared for by anyone but me. Seals dry out, crack, coils get banged, machines get dropped. With this one, I know how it's been treated it's whole life.

Reputation. The Shark has an excellent reputation, as well as Tesoro's customer service and repair. I know most (all) of the manufacturer's have great customer service, especially if you bought a unit new, but it was the nightmares I've read about with some repair centers taking months to make a repair that had me shy away from some.

Parts and future serviceability. There are a number of (recent) threads discussing parts availability and manufacturer support of discontinued machines. I may never need some weird part, but what if I do, and they tell me that part is no longer available? A MD makes an awfully big paperweight, and doesn't weigh enough to be used as an anchor, so...

I have absolutely no qualms about buying a used machine. I hardly buy anything new if I can get a great value on the same thing used. But the thing I noticed about metal detectors, is that a used machine holds it's value very well. To me, the minimal savings isn't worth the potential headaches down the road.

Now. Based on what you've posted about the sand conditions you'll be hunting, I would look for a PI machine, with my suggestion being the Sand Shark, UNLESS, as already stated, it's a really trashy beach. In that case, I would look at the White's Dual, but I would look for real feedback on how well it really does on a trashy beach. Or I would try for a used Excalibur, or a CZ-20/21.

If the beaches you're targeting are generally people-gathering beaches, I would guess they aren't too trashy, especially not so bad once you're in the water.

No matter what though, I will stress again that a machine being able to be run in the wet/water is only one side of what you need. The other side is really the waterproof ability, seriously. Besides, even if you plan now to only go knee-deep, the water will be calling you every time you're out there, and with a fully submersible unit, you can answer that call!

Let us know what you end up getting!

HH

Kirk - good run through of the thought process on getting the detector. (I have a Sand Shark as well that I bought pristine and with very little use for $250). The White's Dual Field however is a PI just like the SS.

MX Sport perform any better than an ATPro at the beach?

Nope! Both machines emit and receive a single signal to discern targets, ie, single frequency VLF. Both have a ground balance to help adjust to mineralization. Both rely on software to compensate for conductive salt. The packaging and advertisements hype up their ability to work on salt water beaches. In reality, you'll get there and start hearing chatter and erroneous / false signals. To make it work like it normaly does in stable soil like inland at a park or in freshwater, you'll have to decrease the sensitivity....sometimes A LOT! By doing this, you'll miss small targets like the thin engagement rings with big diamonds, necklaces, and earings. You'll also miss targets that are deep. Heck, at my beaches in FL the best depth I can get with ATP is about 3". Meanwhile, my personal best at the same beach with a Mutli-frequency minelab (stock 10" coil) was 15".

Compare the machines to driving offroad. All single frequency machines are like 2wd. Yes, some have software that for sake of analogy is like traction control. Meanwhile, all multi-frequency machines are like 4wd. They too can have software and further their ability to be used in rough conditions. So ask yourself, if you go off-roading, do you want a 2wd (single frequency) or a 4wd (multi-frequency)?

Attachments

• mud5.jpg
    mud5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 262
So I quickly realized that a machine with only a coil that is waterproof may not be the 'perfect' beach machine for me.

So glad to see that quote. Many beach hunters, even if they just say they are going to 'wet sand', end up venturing into the suds and further and then realize how much of a strain it is on the mind and body to make sure that machine doesn't get hosed by a drop or rouge wave.

Young & healthy and don't mind putting in a little sweat equity...get a PI. Either DF or Sand Shark are good options for first detectors for the wet & wash zone. Whites DF = 2 yr warranty. Tesoro Sand Shark = life time warranty. Both in your budget as well and both can be used pretty much out of the box (no real need to modify the shaft).
I started off with a DF and with a small fraction of my first finds invested in an Excal about 6 months later. PI's build character in my opinion.

Ah, the quest for the perfect detector! I have done extensive research and I can definitely say, "Ain't no such thang!"
Different people are suited to different types of detectors (turn and go vs super tunability) and detecting style (how wet are you willing to get?). Differing conditions at the same site will change how well suited the same detector is from day to day. There is beach composition (sand, rock, iron & trash) and coil choice/options to consider. Arm strength and endurance are factors to look at, as well. And so on.
You might as well ask which is best blonde, brunette or red head? Since I am married to a ginger, I am biased and can't risk losing my endorsement. ;)

My sea hunter 2 handled black sand no problem,but beware of the sand shark
I think it falses in black sand.
After all it is the cheapest pi made!!!

I'll add my 2 cents worth. You can hip mount the White's Dualfield and then the weight doesn't pose an issue. I can walk the beaches for hours with no noticeable arm fatigue.

My sea hunter 2 handled black sand no problem,but beware of the sand shark
I think it falses in black sand.
After all it is the cheapest pi made!!!
Fyi, get in good with a dealer and the price on a SH2 is far less than a SS.

As far as black sand....i have had my SH2 false on me occasionally in heavy deposits. Only option i had was to use the CTX and beleive it or not Excal. Both worked great in a heavy black sand area thst my SH2 just couldn't handle.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sovereign GT with stock 10" Tornado coil for getting deep in the wet sand.

Excalibur II for working both wet and water.

Hands down.

There is a CZ21 available in my area used for $850. Should I be hesitant to buy this machine used?

Use good discernment. Being able to see and test it in person places you in a good position to buy a used detector. Being that it is a waterproof model, I'd bring along a flash light, screw drivers, tissue paper, batteries, and some test targets to test the detector. Especially batteries....i've lost count of how many times I've made plans to see a detector, only to arrive and hear stories like "oh, i just used them in my remote," or "they just died....but I promise it works".

Begin by opening the battery compartment and using your flashlight to inspect the connections for corrosion. If there is corrosion it is not the end of the world, but it is a likely indicator of water leaks, or batteries that were stored too long, failed, and may have corroded the circuit board as well.

Next, I'd install the batteries and place tissue paper inside. Seal it up and use your test targets to test it. press the P/P button and slowly rotate each knob to listen for anamolies. Also, inspect and play with every inch of the coil and headphone wire to ensure there are no broken or crimped connection that will cause it to cut in/out.

Finally, have the owner dunk the entire unit in his bathtub. With it submerged, rotate the control box around and also submerge the headphones. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes, then reassembly and test it again. If there are hairline cracks, it is likely water will have found them, penetrated and then as you test the machine, you will start hearing a bunch of erroneous sounds... which are usually signs that you have a crack in the coil, coil wire, or housing. If its all good, wipe it down and then inspect the tissue paper inside the battery compartment. It should be dry. If it is wet, you likely need a new rubber seal....something cheap and easily replaceable.

IMO, Fisher makes a rugged and quality machine. Often times when something breaks it is becuase of a signifant use with obvious signs of wear and tear or clean machines can sometimes not work due to being involved in a "shock" accident such as a being dropped from heights and striking a hard surface. During the past few years I've been bought several 20 year old CZ-7's (splashproof) that are still in fantastic working condition. Finding good used equipment is possible.

Anyhow, best of luck!

Very good, thorough advice. Thanks. I am also getting word that I would be at least the third owner for this machine as the current owner purchased it on Ebay. I assume that these same tests would eliminate the same concerns whether there was 1 or 100 previous owners. The current owner suggest we meet at a beach local to us both to test it there, would you suggest submerging it in 38 degree ocean water this time of year for any length of time in lieu of a bath tub?

Very good, thorough advice. Thanks. I am also getting word that I would be at least the third owner for this machine as the current owner purchased it on Ebay. I assume that these same tests would eliminate the same concerns whether there was 1 or 100 previous owners. The current owner suggest we meet at a beach local to us both to test it there, would you suggest submerging it in 38 degree ocean water this time of year for any length of time in lieu of a bath tub?

A seller that is cooperative is another great sign. The cold works in his favor because you will want to test it quickly and get back to warmth, but take your time....yes, test it under water. Take the whole detector, roll it around under water and then test it again.

I wouldn't worry about being the 3rd owner. People buy and sell detectors all the time. Sometimes its just because we have detector-adhd and want to try new stuff.

I know I haven't been active on this thread but I've decided I'm going to go with a new sand shark, the question is should I go with the 8 or 10" coil? I plan on sticking with the hobby for years to come, I'm sure there is plenty of room to grow with the SS but I can also upgrade.

Well, you have already had a great bunch of replies. As I did last year when I went though this decision making process. I found a (like new) used CZ-21 within your price range and I've been very happy with it.

After my first 100 hours I wrote up a little report on my experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2rTGe3uzpAkRVEzSkJvRnV0cUk/view?usp=sharing

I have just gone over 200 hours and have more than paid for my total investments in this hobby. That includes a two scoops (one for travel), an orange Garrett pointer, and other misc. stuff. Oh, yeah that also includes paying for my BH SharpShooter II that I never found much with. :-)

So yeah I am very happy with my CZ-21. I have the chest mount but prefer the modified mounting bracket from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-Sh...Z-20-CZ-21-1280-Metal-Detector-/292104221321?

Good luck with your decision.

I know I haven't been active on this thread but I've decided I'm going to go with a new sand shark, the question is should I go with the 8 or 10" coil? I plan on sticking with the hobby for years to come, I'm sure there is plenty of room to grow with the SS but I can also upgrade.

Good luck, I hope it works for you. Actually I almost got one but had to settle for the sea hunter 2 because at the time Tesoro wasnt selling them because of coil problems.

Back
Top Bottom