What Are The Laws For Beach Detecting

Where you live makes a difference.. I'm OC MD and it's just a matter of finding parking and doing the walk..but stay off the dunes

If there are no signs posted GO FOR IT.
If somebody tells you that you cannot, ask them to show you where it is written.
:popcorn2:

Obn

Really :laughing: :lol2::popcorn: I m in CT , dig all the rocks you want :yes::lol: :shock: Where you live makes a difference.. I'm OC MD and it's just a matter of finding parking and doing the walk..but stay off the dunes
PS Joe only comes down here a couple weeks of the year, he cleaned it out a long time ago, now its sanded in beaches and 130 blocks of replenishment sand, i will have a good time watching the girls this summer, getting some fresh drops, OBN's :pirates: hunting treasure hunting lies on the Southern end of Southern Md., VA line, now go get some pirates , his loot plunder's , and he never seeded the beach with gold for me, so get a peak , sorry bro., :police::secret::haha: Only 30 minutes away on his JET SKI PS pretty much the laws you have to watch on the treasure coast, and if it's posted , fill in your holes and keep a low profile , you will be ok

Attachments

• P1000923.JPG
    P1000923.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
me&my-ace400 : You need to be specific. What beach ? There are federal (and various types within). There are state (and various types within). There are county (and various types within). There are city, there are other countries, there are lake beaches of multitudes of entities, etc...

Thus your question is too general.

But I like matmit's answer the best. About the ONLY beaches I've EVER heard of in CA, that *supposedly* had any issue for md'ing, was a few very small stretches of NPS administered ocean beach sections. Humorously I heard of one guy who ... simply didn't know any better. He went for a year, un-bothered. Imagine his surprise when a fellow md'r said "I thought you couldn't go there ?" :laughing: Funny thing was: he'd gone in broad daylight, right in front of lifeguard towers, past rangers, etc.... No one ever said "boo". You can bet he was tempted to simply continue. Since it was obviously a non-issue.

No National park beaches.

metal addict: That was the singular type ocean beach I was referring to in my answer to the O.P.

And I know the particular fed section in your part of the SF bay area that you no doubt had in mind :) But I heard of a fellow there, about 18-ish years ago, who simply didn't know any better. He routinely went to that "certain" beach. Was doing quite well. He simply couldn't understand why the other local md'rs weren't all over this. Since the volleyball courts, towel line, etc... were giving up scores of coins, and occasional rings.

He would hit it 1x or 2x per week, for over a year. Eventually he got to know other hobbyists in his area. And he confided in a new found fellow md'r of his honey hole beach. Imagine his surprise when the other md'r said "isn't that off-limits?" Doh!

At first he assumed the guy was mistaken. Because, duh... what harm can you do to a beach for pete's sake ? And besides: he'd gone there for an entire year, in full view of anyone and everyone, and no one had ever said a peep to him. Hence his friend must certainly be mistaken. Right ?

But after hearing it from another source or two as well, he decided to look into the matter himself. Hmmm, sure enough, there's some cultural heritage wording, or whatever. You can imagine the dilemma he felt: Simply continue ? (since it's obvious no one cares), or ... stop ? Could you blame him ?

Perhaps now, all these years later, it's different. I *did* hear of another guy, on a stretch of that coast, who *did* get ... uh ... "appraised". But it was a simple scram. No big deal.

metal addict: That was the singular type ocean beach I was referring to in my answer to the O.P.

And I know the particular fed section in your part of the SF bay area that you no doubt had in mind :) But I heard of a fellow there, about 18-ish years ago, who simply didn't know any better. He routinely went to that "certain" beach. Was doing quite well. He simply couldn't understand why the other local md'rs weren't all over this. Since the volleyball courts, towel line, etc... were giving up scores of coins, and occasional rings.

He would hit it 1x or 2x per week, for over a year. Eventually he got to know other hobbyists in his area. And he confided in a new found fellow md'r of his honey hole beach. Imagine his surprise when the other md'r said "isn't that off-limits?" Doh!

At first he assumed the guy was mistaken. Because, duh... what harm can you do to a beach for pete's sake ? And besides: he'd gone there for an entire year, in full view of anyone and everyone, and no one had ever said a peep to him. Hence his friend must certainly be mistaken. Right ?

But after hearing it from another source or two as well, he decided to look into the matter himself. Hmmm, sure enough, there's some cultural heritage wording, or whatever. You can imagine the dilemma he felt: Simply continue ? (since it's obvious no one cares), or ... stop ? Could you blame him ?

Perhaps now, all these years later, it's different. I *did* hear of another guy, on a stretch of that coast, who *did* get ... uh ... "appraised". But it was a simple scram. No big deal.

Actually I was referring to Point Reyes beaches and All San Francisco beaches.

Your question is too general. If you want to tell where you hunt then you would get better advise. In my state all beaches are public. Some states have private beaches. Contact your local law enforcement for help. You can not cross private property to detect. You can not detect National parks or seashores. You can not detect most State Parks unless they are on the ocean and then you need to ask first. Good luck!

...You can not detect most State Parks unless they are on the ocean and then you need to ask first. Good luck!

Imalookin, what state are you in ? Are you making this statement about all states ocean beaches ? (you made no differentiation). If so, where does it say that you need to ask first for CA state beaches ? No one here does (they've just always-ever been md'd no problem).

And how about for your own state: Have you ever seen any chapter and verse in the rules-of-use that says "with permission" ? If so, got a link ?

NOT just commentary by someone answering an inquiry ages ago. That commentary could have been pointing at the fact that rangers carry discretion (can decide something is bothering sea turtles or whatever). Sure, they can ask you stop flying a frisbee , or turn down your boom box, etc... But that doesn't mean that you had to ask ahead of time.

So if you have a link to what you're saying , please share it.

Laws for sure vary by state. You can detect some state parks in Michigan, and some parts of some state parks. And some beaches of some state parks. However there are places off limits that will get you in huge trouble if you get caught.

...However there are places off limits that will get you in huge trouble if you get caught.

I can understand how this statement would be true for land sites. But when it comes to ocean beaches (that admittedly might have a rule, like fed. beaches): I don't know if I'd call it "huge trouble". I know a guy who got booted from GGNRA fed. section beach near San Francisco. And it was just a friendly "scram".

If anyone's got an example of an md'r being roughed up, ticketed, confiscated, etc.... from a beach, my hunch it will be for someone who can't take a warning, was being obnoxious in some way, or night sneaking an obvious historic theme (shipwreck claim?) type spot. Not saying flukes can't happen, not saying some places don't have rules, but ... just saying .... beaches are about the benign hunting grounds when it comes to metal detecting. By all means obey the laws if a law exists. But just saying I can't think of any "huge trouble" when it's come to beaches .

I can understand how this statement would be true for land sites. But when it comes to ocean beaches (that admittedly might have a rule, like fed. beaches): I don't know if I'd call it "huge trouble". I know a guy who got booted from GGNRA fed. section beach near San Francisco. And it was just a friendly "scram".

If anyone's got an example of an md'r being roughed up, ticketed, confiscated, etc.... from a beach, my hunch it will be for someone who can't take a warning, was being obnoxious in some way, or night sneaking an obvious historic theme (shipwreck claim?) type spot. Not saying flukes can't happen, not saying some places don't have rules, but ... just saying .... beaches are about the benign hunting grounds when it comes to metal detecting. By all means obey the laws if a law exists. But just saying I can't think of any "huge trouble" when it's come to beaches .

NO idea about OCEAN beaches. But you remember last year and my citations? Yes I couldn't take a warning. I wasn't doing anything wrong. What about the Sabastion (sp?) Inlet in Florida? You can't go in the water there. There are a few state parks here where the water is totally off limits. Ft. Custer state park is one I will reveal.

We really do not know if the OP is even at ocean beaches or where he is.

.... But you remember last year and my citations? Yes I couldn't take a warning. ....

Yes, those were legendary cliff-hanger posts. And yes, part of the reason it escalated was you stood your ground and challenged them. Not to rehash that again, but ... just sayin' ... as you can see: You were first just given a "scram" is all.

... when there was an officer within my sight.

Oh you are SSOO tempting me to re-hash that great old legal drama you had. haha. You can debate an officer or judge till you're blue in the face. And maybe you'd be right and prevail, maybe not. But in my 40+ yrs. of this, I've gotten to where I consider md'ing a little like nose-picking: You just choose more discreet times, so as not to offend the squeemish.

I've had "scrams" where I knew no law existed. But rather than stand my ground (where I'd run the risk that it could be said to "harm sandcrabs" or something stupid), I just give lip service and come back later. But ... as I said, that pro/con discussion won't be re-hashed. Your current quote, of simply avoiding a singular griper's sights, will no doubt work wonders :cool:

Oh you are SSOO tempting me to re-hash that great old legal drama you had. haha. You can debate an officer or judge till you're blue in the face. And maybe you'd be right and prevail, maybe not. But in my 40+ yrs. of this, I've gotten to where I consider md'ing a little like nose-picking: You just choose more discreet times, so as not to offend the squeemish.

I've had "scrams" where I knew no law existed. But rather than stand my ground (where I'd run the risk that it could be said to "harm sandcrabs" or something stupid), I just give lip service and come back later. But ... as I said, that pro/con discussion won't be re-hashed. Your current quote, of simply avoiding a singular griper's sights, will no doubt work wonders :cool:

I do understand EVERYONE needs to do what they feel is right. No need to rehash anything. I stand my ground for my own reasons. We all do what we feel we need to.

When an officer takes me to jail with all my scuba gear on, I will know I crossed the line.

There are a few state parks here where the water is totally off limits.

Just for the sake of conversation I will throw this out there Scubadude.

I went into one of our "strictly no MD" State Parks way after the season was over and the park long closed for the season because I was curious and willing to risk it.
It's an old old state park too that has a ton of traffic all season, I mean super busy for generations with the exact demographic of people who lose the things we like to find.

I hit the icy water dead center of the busiest beach with visions of 100 years worth of heavy Gold class rings and wedding rings and silver coins dancing in my head.

There was nothing there. The term "zinc penniless" described it perfectly. Sure I found an odd modern coin here and there but nothing worth even going back and looking again for.

It is not only cleaned out it is kept cleaned out. So much for the no metal detecting clause. I bet the rest of the off limits parks are the same way.

:cool:

.... It is not only cleaned out it is kept cleaned out. So much for the no metal detecting clause. I bet the rest of the off limits parks are the same way....

I can think of supposed "off-limits parks" here, that are JUST as worked out as any other park. How can that be ? :roll: And I can think of parks and beaches rumored to be "off-limits", yet .... persons who didn't know any better simply went, for an entire year, and never heard so much as "boo".

NOT saying to attempt this at some obvious historic monument, or defy a "scram", but ....... just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom