• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

When someone quotes you

aguerrero56

How do you know if someone quotes you in a thread without going back and checking everywhere you posted? I've seen other forums send a notification if your quoted somewhere. This is really useful in keeping conversations going without having to follow your footsteps. I see alot of people getting quoted and not responding. Am I missing something?

While that does let you know if someone has added to a thread you have posted in, it doesn't tell you if you have been quoted in any of the responses. I am on another forum running VBulletin, and in the upper right corner where we see our stats and Private Message notifications, the other forum will show a Quote Notifications count. Clicking on it will take you to a list of threads you have been quoted in. From that list, you can click to be taken right to the post where you were quoted.

Papa

I use tapatalk and some other non MD forums I am in have notifications. Would be nice to get one if you qet quoted.

While that does let you know if someone has added to a thread you have posted in, it doesn't tell you if you have been quoted in any of the responses. I am on another forum running VBulletin, and in the upper right corner where we see our stats and Private Message notifications, the other forum will show a Quote Notifications count. Clicking on it will take you to a list of threads you have been quoted in. From that list, you can click to be taken right to the post where you were quoted.

Papa

that's great.

But this forum does not have that option.

I do get the quoted notification with Tapatalk; if OP has that app/smartphone

Just go back and check threads you have posted in. Its really not difficult , click on your username , then statistics , then all posts by you. Unless you comment in 100 posts a day its not that hard to keep up with them.

Just go back and check threads you have posted in. Its really not difficult , click on your username , then statistics , then all posts by you. Unless you comment in 100 posts a day its not that hard to keep up with them.
I would argue that receiving notifications is a much more efficient use of my time. When I post a question, a wazzit or a classified thread, I check back frequently to check for responders. If i didnt have to crawl back and check my threads that nobody commented on for no reason I could spend more time browsing the great posts of others on this forum.

I would argue that receiving notifications is a much more efficient use of my time. When I post a question, a wazzit or a classified thread, I check back frequently to check for responders. If i didnt have to crawl back and check my threads that nobody commented on for no reason I could spend more time browsing the great posts of others on this forum.

True , I see your point.....but I comment on quite a few threads and it still takes just a couple minutes to check on. Also consider that being quoted or answered directly isnt always the only reason to check back , its good to check back anyway just to see what others have added , which many times is not a quote or direct resonse....but you wont know about them if you dont look back at it.

For new post it's not to bad to keep up. Post months old, if someone new asked a question and you many not check it if ever again. They could private message you but the post was where the information belongs so others can learn from it too. I check the "Today's Posts" but if I don't check that for days I could miss the quoted post.

I dont usually worry about checking to see I've been quoted , usually my post are deleted after I quote ,,,:laughing: :laughing: ,, just kidding ,,, I think ,, :?: ,,, I'll have to check back later and see .. To answer your question tho , I dont know , but good question .

I highly recommend this notification feature be added If possible. It's one of those things that doesn't sound important unless you have experienced and used this feature. It will bring everyone closer together, save members time and bring up the community. To me there are just so many one sided conversations and this feature would be the fix. Hopefully Carol K will read this and look into adding it if possible. I guess enough members would have to request this to even be considered.

I might be able to install a plugin for this, let me test this out first though.

Thanks Vlad! That would be great if you can make that happen. Either way, your awesome for responding so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom