The Equinox Line is the Best Sub $1000.00 All Terain Detector on the Market

Different strokes for different folks!
I spent along time with an ExplorerII,
Never learned to like the Minelab tones.

After 3 months running my MMKruzer,
I'll put it up against the Equinox line up any day.

Bottom line is that no machine will automatically
find the goods until you spend the hours to learn what
it is telling you.

Just to add drama....
Reposting my "Gold Chain Thread" -- definately not the NOX

The total length is 19.25". The big loops are a micro fine gauge but almost 1/8" wide while the majority of the chain is 1/16" wide loops. Acid test holds at 10k. With the help of a bud, we laid the necklace in a straight line on top of a 30" tall box and swung the coils over the box / chain. Keep in mind, I removed the clasp for the test.

With a coil sweep speed of about 1.5 sec / ft, and some major attention to *settings, the following depths were achieved:
  • NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
  • CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
  • Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
  • Surf PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"
  • DP Pulse PI - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 8"
  • ATP - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 5"
  • AT (Carrot) - LOL, it hits solid at 3" and occasionally at 4"
  • Bounty Hunter Jr - max sens, yep, it hits up to 1.5"

Honestly, this is a silly post. Swing technique and conditions play such a huge factor in detector performance, that it almost makes this irrelevant.

Attachments

• gold1.JPG
    gold1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 464
  • gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 466
Just to add drama....

[*]NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
[*]CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
[*]Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
[*]Surf PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"
[*]DP Pulse PI - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 8"
[*]ATP - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 5"
[*]AT (Carrot) - LOL, it hits solid at 3" and occasionally at 4"
[*]Bounty Hunter Jr - max sens, yep, it hits up to 1.5"
[/LIST]

Here were the results from my air tests:

file.php

*n/a means I didn't do that test

I would not call it the best until it gives a good solid tone on a quarter or dime deeper than 6". For the quarter,dime and penny most of the tones are broken up, maybe I hunt in to much trash to expect good tones on them.

On the nickle I get good tones at 10" down. So it has become my best nickle detector.

I had two CTX's and a Nox 800 and I ended up selling them. I found it (800) was on par or better than my CTX (depth wise). In the end I did not like the feel of 800 and the VID was sort of all over the place.

Last edited:
I would not call it the best until it gives a good solid tone on a quarter or dime deeper than 6". For the quarter,dime and penny most of the tones are broken up, maybe I hunt in to much trash to expect good tones on them.

On the nickle I get good tones at 10" down. So it has become my best nickle detector.

X2

Calabash and I disagree with that assessment. I have an 8" dime in Georgia red clay that I can hit. He's smacking coins at 10" in his garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVdRYy50ug

The ideal detector is the same as deciding where to live based on the weather.

If there was one perfect answer, we'd all be living there. No machine will fit everyone's bill. Never has....never will.

I had two CTX's and a Nox 800 and I ended up selling them. I found it (800) was on par or better than my CTX (depth wise). In the end I did not like the feel of 800 and the VID was sort of all over the place.

I sold my CTX but it wasn't because of the nox. I just didn't like having a $2500 detector. I was going to just get a cheaper beach machine like the excal but the nox was released at the perfect time! I do think they were on par depth wise but I do like the CTX better for all of its features minus its weight.

I hope Fisher and Garrett are review this thread and taking notes, :laughing:

I think the Fisher Manta will destroy all beach machines if it does what it claims. My finger are crossed!

It may be the most versatile machine under 1000 but not the most durable. MSRP is 899. Add another 120 for a battery replacement 3 years later, won't be sub-1000 any more.

Every all terrain detectors have sealed batteries that will need to be replaced at sometime. And I don't think any manufacturer will replace them for free after the warranty is out. So that doesn't put the equinox at a disadvantage over any other all terrain detector.

Any most likely someone will come up with an after market replacement that doesn't require one to send it in.

Every all terrain detectors have sealed batteries that will need to be replaced at sometime. And I don't think any manufacturer will replace them for free after the warranty is out. So that doesn't put the equinox at a disadvantage over any other all terrain detector.

Any most likely someone will come up with an after market replacement that doesn't require one to send it in.
CTX, Safari, and ETrac have LI batterys and packs that hold AA's. Excal has aftermarket packs that hold AA's. ALL of them are able to be swapped by the owner, whereas the NOX "currently" requires the owner to return the detector to a service center for replacement.

CTX, Safari, and ETrac have LI batterys and packs that hold AA's. Excal has aftermarket packs that hold AA's. ALL of them are able to be swapped by the owner, whereas the NOX "currently" requires the owner to return the detector to a service center for replacement.

Battery change is valid issue but you can't really compare to the detectors above, as they are all over 1000.00, well maybe Safari.

As for changing the battery, I saw someone take apart a Nox and it is pretty simple to change out the battery so even if you get an off brand you can DIY and still have a waterproof detector.

BCD

I just didn't like having a $2500 detector. I was going to just get a cheaper beach machine like the excal but the nox was released at the perfect time! I do think they were on par depth wise but I do like the CTX better for all of its features minus its weight.
I only used the 17" coil on the CTX. When it comes to depth, the NOX is not even in the same ballpark on coins and 3+ gram rings. Minelab stated that at detectival and authors like Clive and Drayton write about the depth in their books.

Weight, sure....until you balance out the detector or use a lift assist device. Once the 15" coil comes out for the NOX, I'll bet dollars to donuts we'll hear nothing but compliants about the NOX weight, and being front heavy / not balanced. So folks will do what they did with the CTX....buy a harness, mod the shaft, or add weights to the back.

I think the Fisher Manta will destroy all beach machines if it does what it claims. My finger are crossed!
I'd love for it to do as claimed. A reasonable price would be icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom