Found my first thimble!

Diggum

Elite Member
I'm visiting the in-laws, and decided to go out metal detecting this morning in an old part of the town in which they live. It was obvious pretty quickly that someone else had beat me to the curb strips, since all I was finding was pennies. However, I did manage to eke out my first ever silver thimble! It's quite the beauty, in my opinion. :yes:

Attachments

• 20180520_090754.jpg
    20180520_090754.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180520_090735.jpg
    20180520_090735.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Nice find - if the other hunters missed that, they probably didn't get all the silver coins.

Thanks, guys!

Nice find - if the other hunters missed that, they probably didn't get all the silver coins.

I'm thinking they were going for the solid, deep signals (of which there were none). I only heard solid signals near the surface, and this one rang up like a modern quarter. Not sure why this one was so close to the surface, but I'm glad that it was. Why anyone would pass up a quarter is beyond me, but some hunters go only for old coins.

Nice save! It's funny how those folks think they know everything...:laughing: I've found old coins on/near the surface on multiple occasions and if they're leaving them because they're not deep, they're outsmarting themselves!

Congrats on a real beauty of a thimble Diggum :aok:

Thanks, all! Cheers!

Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to anneal it and bend it back to usable-shape. If I don't, I fear it will just end up going to the scrap silver pile...

Man that’s a sweet bucket lister there Diggum! You’re doing good man! Would love to find one of those someday!

Congrats!

Thanks, guys!

I'm thinking they were going for the solid, deep signals (of which there were none). I only heard solid signals near the surface, and this one rang up like a modern quarter. Not sure why this one was so close to the surface, but I'm glad that it was. Why anyone would pass up a quarter is beyond me, but some hunters go only for old coins.

Congratulations on that silver thimble!
I have found about a dozen thimbles, none are silver:no:

We also have guys here who will only dig coins deeper than 4"
One Saturday I found a Barber dime and a Merc in a "hunted out" park and they were both 3-4" deep:lol:

Thanks, guys!

I like old thimbles.

Tom, I have to say I like them too! I'm looking at mine, right now, and I think I'm going to give it a go on refurbishing it. I plan to anneal it, open it half way, anneal again, open the rest of the way, anneal, and begin working it back to round using a wooden dowel. We'll see how it goes. I'll post my results.

Back
Top Bottom