Etrac and different coils

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I know we have alot of Etrac users out there. Would like to here from some of you, your thoughts and reasons for the coil you use most.

Are the after market coils better than the stock coils and if so why ?

What is the best coil in your opinion along with what application you use it for.

Thanks, Mark

All I've seen Etrac users run is the small coils. I'd guess they get better separation with it, but they are all deep silver coin hunters. The Etrac has superpowers on sniffing out that old silver.

had 2 etracs

The coils i favored and ran the most were the Sef 8x6 and Sef 10x12, ran the ultimate some to, but the 10x12 ran smooth, you will like the 8x6 in trash, side walk strips, school yards , and the sef 10x12 in open field's , great coils, Earl

I don’t have the stock coil,but I’ve ran them before and was thinking of getting one for this Etrac I have now...what I do have is a 6x8 sef and it’s a silver killer,I’m not so sure I’ll be buying a pro coil

Mark,my personal opinion is,and this is from a lot of hunting,that a coil should be chosen according to a few things. If your targets,say in an old ballfield,are known to be very deep(9"+), then you are going to have more success finding those deep coins with a coil that has a larger field. This would equate to a large coil,obviously. CAN a silver dime be found at 8-9" with an 8" coil? Yes. But the situation HAS to be perfect. A lot of targets are missed because of inaccurate coverage of the ground being searched,not because something changed since you've been there last. It's simply sloppy hunting,I do it myself sometimes. To reduce the chances of ground not being covered,a larger coil will help with that,as well as hit on the real deep oldies.
If you have a trashy place where the coins aren't necessarily all that deep(4-7") then one of the smaller coils works pretty well,it allows the machine to have to process less and allows the user to operate the machine with less discrimination,while at the same time not getting overwhelmed in the headphones with too many signals all clumped together.
Lastly,different coils handle EMI differently,some are terrible,others seem EMI resistant. The smoothest coil I've run on my Explorer was the stock 1050 coil it came with. It is deep as well,the deepest coin I found was a 10" silver Washington. Audio was a bit clipped and it had the Minelab "thunk" but it was repeatable and the numbers were close. That's a 10.5" coil.
What I use now on the Explorer are just 2...the Detech Ultimate 13" for wide open ball fields and the Sunray X-8" for everywhere else...when I use the Explorer2.
There are many different ones to choose from and performance seems to be similar amongst the similar sized coils. Just remember that in really trashy areas,you may not be able to see a 9" dime no matter what,so you're better off with a smaller one to get what you can. If the results don't suit you no matter the coil,then it's simply a matter of changing sites.
Good luck!

Personally I Like the stock coil but in situations where you are looking for 8" + depth I always favored the NEL Tornado 12 X 13 coil. It is built with very robust coil ears and a very well shielded cable. Runs very stable (although I have heard a few complaints that say otherwise) and I have found many deep dimes with this coil.
Have also ran a Tornado coil on the AT Pro, F75 and T2 also with very good results.

Best overall coil comes stock.

Best small X5

Best mid X8

Best large Ultimate or Tornado

In my ground anyway factoring in performance and more importantly target ID accuracy.

Dont forget the Coiltek Treasureseeker 10x5 (formerly called the Joey i believe), been using it all summer with good luck. My other coils i swap out on my etrac according to conditions are, NEL Tornado, SEF 6x8.

I use the Sef 8x6 most. It seems to perform as well as the Pro coil yet is lighter which since I'm in my 60's..

loved the 8x6 sef on the Etrac when I had it, just excellent separation and pretty good on the depth. With the CTX, I find myself using the Stock and smaller 6 in coil about half and half where on the Etrac I used mostly the 8x6 sef.

The recovery speed on the pro coil for the CTX is most of the time fast enough to get good separation

I know we have alot of Etrac users out there. Would like to here from some of you, your thoughts and reasons for the coil you use most.

Are the after market coils better than the stock coils and if so why ?

What is the best coil in your opinion along with what application you use it for.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,
Are you getting better performance in that PA soil with that e-Trac versus the AT-Pro?
I shelved my stock and primarily use the 10x12 SEF coil.
Better target separation, less iron falsing and it hits silver harder compared to the stock.
I also have a Detech 10" x 5" SEF coil and a Sunray X-5 for super trashy areas.
I use the 10x12 about 90% of the time. It's a little heavier but worth the extra weight in my opinion.
Here's a link to my hunt last weekend where I used nothing but the 10x12.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=252799

Tom

All I've seen Etrac users run is the small coils. I'd guess they get better separation with it, but they are all deep silver coin hunters. The Etrac has superpowers on sniffing out that old silver.
Thank you still learning the etrac I don't thought its abilities only mine Happy Hunting mark

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

The coils i favored and ran the most were the Sef 8x6 and Sef 10x12, ran the ultimate some to, but the 10x12 ran smooth, you will like the 8x6 in trash, side walk strips, school yards , and the sef 10x12 in open field's , great coils, Earl
Thank you think I'm going to give the 10 by 12 a try mark

I don’t have the stock coil,but I’ve ran them before and was thinking of getting one for this Etrac I have now...what I do have is a 6x8 sef and it’s a silver killer,I’m not so sure I’ll be buying a pro coil
I read your post seems you're doing pretty good with the 8 by 6 think I'll put that on my list of coils to try as well. Good luck mark

Mark,my personal opinion is,and this is from a lot of hunting,that a coil should be chosen according to a few things. If your targets,say in an old ballfield,are known to be very deep(9"+), then you are going to have more success finding those deep coins with a coil that has a larger field. This would equate to a large coil,obviously. CAN a silver dime be found at 8-9" with an 8" coil? Yes. But the situation HAS to be perfect. A lot of targets are missed because of inaccurate coverage of the ground being searched,not because something changed since you've been there last. It's simply sloppy hunting,I do it myself sometimes. To reduce the chances of ground not being covered,a larger coil will help with that,as well as hit on the real deep oldies.
If you have a trashy place where the coins aren't necessarily all that deep(4-7") then one of the smaller coils works pretty well,it allows the machine to have to process less and allows the user to operate the machine with less discrimination,while at the same time not getting overwhelmed in the headphones with too many signals all clumped together.
Lastly,different coils handle EMI differently,some are terrible,others seem EMI resistant. The smoothest coil I've run on my Explorer was the stock 1050 coil it came with. It is deep as well,the deepest coin I found was a 10" silver Washington. Audio was a bit clipped and it had the Minelab "thunk" but it was repeatable and the numbers were close. That's a 10.5" coil.
What I use now on the Explorer are just 2...the Detech Ultimate 13" for wide open ball fields and the Sunray X-8" for everywhere else...when I use the Explorer2.
There are many different ones to choose from and performance seems to be similar amongst the similar sized coils. Just remember that in really trashy areas,you may not be able to see a 9" dime no matter what,so you're better off with a smaller one to get what you can. If the results don't suit you no matter the coil,then it's simply a matter of changing sites.
Good luck!
ID thank you I like the idea of separation with a small coil but the thought of banging something deep also is appealing just not the weight that comes with the bigger coils again thank you for your reply. By the way I enjoyed reading your posts Happy Hunting mark

Personally I Like the stock coil but in situations where you are looking for 8" + depth I always favored the NEL Tornado 12 X 13 coil. It is built with very robust coil ears and a very well shielded cable. Runs very stable (although I have heard a few complaints that say otherwise) and I have found many deep dimes with this coil.
Have also ran a Tornado coil on the AT Pro, F75 and T2 also with very good results.
Thank you sir

Dont forget the Coiltek Treasureseeker 10x5 (formerly called the Joey i believe), been using it all summer with good luck. My other coils i swap out on my etrac according to conditions are, NEL Tornado, SEF 6x8.
Thank you seems like everybody likes that eight by six SEF

I use the Sef 8x6 most. It seems to perform as well as the Pro coil yet is lighter which since I'm in my 60's..
I too am older and weight is becoming a factor also I was thinking about doing some curb stripping I would like to try that 8 by 6 SEF thank you

Back
Top Bottom