45 Automatic

Cool find! Years ago when I was in the Army, my battalion was training at the Pinion Canyon training facility near Trinidad, Colorado and someone found a .45 lying on the ground in the middle of nowhere. It had lots of surface rust indicating it had been there for a while. It turned out to be a missing weapon an officer had dropped from a helicopter a few years earlier.

I disagree. That 357 might have been a murder weapon and implicated someone in the crime. BUT everyone on here has the right to do what they desire with their finds.

HOWEVER, I do see and understand your point. You should have seen the fun I had with WW1 practice bombs and the police!!

Everyone does have the right to do as they want. Personally, unless it looked very freshly dropped/dumped, I wouldn't tell a soul. The odds of a decades old gun found in a lake actually solving a crime are pretty much nil.

After that quickly fired off reply, which I do often, I wanted to explain myself further on why I would not turn in ALMOST any gun I found.

Consider the reasons you would find a gun in a place like a lake or the woods.

1. It was used in a crime, which could include the gun being stolen which is a crime in itself. Unless found recently dropped/dumped, odds of connecting it to said crime are nil.

2. It was lost accidentally. Again, unless it looked recently dropped, I would not likely turn it in. Police generally have no interest in returning the gun to the original owner, and if it did not show evidence of a crime, like a filed off serial number, it would be destroyed or 'disappear' from the station with an officer.

3. It was lost purposefully. Some people such as widows or children inherit guns and want nothing to do with them. I know indirectly of a widow who threw her dead husband's WW2 luger into the trash when he died, not wanting a gun in the house. I can easily see someone dumping a gun in a lake or burying it as a means of disposal.

The only time I would turn in a gun would be if it was something freshly dropped, or illegal to own such as a full auto machine gun or a sawed off shotgun.

After that quickly fired off reply, which I do often, I wanted to explain myself further on why I would not turn in ALMOST any gun I found.

1. It was used in a crime, which could include the gun being stolen which is a crime in itself. Unless found recently dropped/dumped, odds of connecting it to said crime are nil.

2. It was lost accidentally. Again, unless it looked recently dropped, I would not likely turn it in. Police generally have no interest in returning the gun to the original owner, and if it did not show evidence of a crime, like a filed off serial number, it would be destroyed or 'disappear' from the station with an officer.

3. It was lost purposefully. Some people such as widows or children inherit guns and want nothing to do with them. I know indirectly of a widow who threw her dead husband's WW2 luger into the trash when he died, not wanting a gun in the house. I can easily see someone dumping a gun in a lake or burying it as a means of disposal.

The only time I would turn in a gun would be if it was something freshly dropped, or illegal to own such as a full auto machine gun or a sawed off shotgun.

I completely understand your post as stated above. And yes I have heard stories on here and one other forum where the police said it would be destroyed. That is BS in Michigan. I have NO clue about the other states.

The 357 mag I found is NOW in operational condition and it is legally registered to me. IF I find another gun like the 22 derringer I found it will never be reported.

Plain and simple it is a relic and not a firearm any longer. The police had it for a year and a half. I agree, something that will never fire, nor would they ever get ballistics off of it is not worth turning in.

IF I ever find the machine gun I am searching for or the canon, they will never be cleaned or restored. They will be relics in my collection.

I reported the first WW1 bomb I found because I had no idea if it was alive or what it was. I reported the 4th one I found only to try to get paperwork to say they were practice bombs and I could have them.

Kind of glad I did. AFTER the fiasco the fire chief said if my house would have ever caught fire and they saw them, they would have got out, set up a perimeter and let it burn! Now it is in the records they are harmless.

I DO understand your point. I will still do what I feel is right also. Thanks for your input.

I found this thread while surfing "electrolysis".

Based on my research over the last 2 days I'd say your "derringer" is actually a Colt New Line Pocket Revolver.

If you can get an idea of the caliber you can get an approximate date on the manufacture.

See the link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_New_Line

That was the coolest toy ever when i got it. Well until my buddy shot me in the leg with it. :laughing:

I still have a noticeable dent in my forehead from where I didn't duck quite far enough as a kid. :laughing: That was close to 50 years ago. :(

Full auto machine guns and sawed off shotguns are not illegal to own, unless you are a felon or have some other legal problem. Many Americans legally own and enjoy shooting full auto machine guns and sawed off shotguns. For information on how to acquire them legally, contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-can-person-legally-obtain-nfa-firearms

Full auto machine guns and sawed off shotguns are not illegal to own, unless you are a felon or have some other legal problem. Many Americans legally own and enjoy shooting full auto machine guns and sawed off shotguns. For information on how to acquire them legally, contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-can-person-legally-obtain-nfa-firearms

They are illegal for most of the population, as most of the population doesn't have the right credentials. Finding a legally registered one dropped in the woods or a lake is incredibly unlikely given their value.

Federal law permits ownership after jumping through some hoops, however numerous states do not permit them, including the first and third most populous states.

The situation is changing as more and more states are being forced, by either their citizens or the Supreme Court, to bring their gun laws into compliance with the U.S. Constitution. Some day we may actually see the repeal of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the National Firearms Act.

They are illegal for most of the population, as most of the population doesn't have the right credentials. Finding a legally registered one dropped in the woods or a lake is incredibly unlikely given their value.

But that's not to say that they can't get the credentials. Mostly it is just filling out paperwork, getting approval from the CLEO of your county, and paying the tax and waiting for the background check and processing of the paperwork. To make a blanket statement that full auto firearms and sawed off shotguns are illegal just isn't representative of the reality of the situation.

But that's not to say that they can't get the credentials. Mostly it is just filling out paperwork, getting approval from the CLEO of your county, and paying the tax and waiting for the background check and processing of the paperwork. To make a blanket statement that full auto firearms and sawed off shotguns are illegal just isn't representative of the reality of the situation.

As I tried to clarify, for the majority of the population they are de facto illegal. Large amounts of the population will not get the approval depending on where they live. And the people who can get the credentials are incredibly unlikely to lose one, and the average detectorist is unlikely to have legal approval. Anything class 3 in the woods, in a lake, etc, is certainly stolen or otherwise illegal anyway.

I understand the two bills you mentioned quite well, but we will never live to see the NFA repealed, and at most the 1968 law might be amended, but for the most part we're stuck with it.

Back
Top Bottom