Can anyone help with this coin

gscott12250

Elite Member
b97df4be1ee7377c8c6434d3ecb55e7c.jpg
26c1d8a4017e79663c15bbb890cb3c27.jpg
I found this one in a drained pond. Turned on the machine swing it and BAM. any help would be great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bigger than a quarter smaller than a half dollar
7e8bd62b0a29da5b30a7c5103fdbbd26.jpg

It's a Connecticut or Vermont and that's most likely the closest you will get just by posting the pics. However, you do have some pretty good detail in the branch she is holding, so what you can do is compare against all VT coppers... which there is very few by comparison to CTs, and as long as you can definitively rule out every one as being an exact die match, you can say you have a CT... you just won't know the year or variety because there's so many. i If you wanted to spend the time there probably is enough on yout coin to make a good stab at the year... but would take some work going through MANY of the varieties for the year 1785-1788 and making notes what is very close and going from there. Personally I would not do it, but for someone looking for a challenge it may be possible to get reasonably close to an ID... at least be able to make a good guess at it.

Attachments

• copp.jpg
    copp.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 499
Wow that one seems close to a match. That is great thanks for the advice.

It's a Connecticut or Vermont and that's most likely the closest you will get just by posting the pics. However, you do have some pretty good detail in the branch she is holding, so what you can do is compare against all VT coppers... which there is very few by comparison to CTs, and as long as you can definitively rule out every one as being an exact die match, you can say you have a CT... you just won't know the year or variety because there's so many. i If you wanted to spend the time there probably is enough on yout coin to make a good stab at the year... but would take some work going through MANY of the varieties for the year 1785-1788 and making notes what is very close and going from there. Personally I would not do it, but for someone looking for a challenge it may be possible to get reasonably close to an ID... at least be able to make a good guess at it.
So it has been 22 hrs since you responded and I have nothing else to do but think about this coin since my rig has no radio today. The snow is here and the cold temps are here.I'm up for the challenge since I can't go digging. It'll be a good winter research project. Thanks for the help. I never would have come up with that. Great info.

So it has been 22 hrs since you responded and I have nothing else to do but think about this coin since my rig has no radio today. The snow is here and the cold temps are here.I'm up for the challenge since I can't go digging. It'll be a good winter research project. Thanks for the help. I never would have come up with that. Great info.

Glad to help. It was just taking a guess it was either a British halfpenny or state copper, and then rotating it to see if that thought made sense... and by fluke the first time I rotated it, there it was. Having dug one you will find more, and a better one, so if you start to get overwhelmed with trying yo match it, don't worry about it... but eliminating the VT coppers, or at least matching against each to include/exclude, would be pretty easy and not very time consuming... because the reality is most dug CTs you can't say much more than it's a CT.

Glad to help. It was just taking a guess it was either a British halfpenny or state copper, and then rotating it to see if that thought made sense... and by fluke the first time I rotated it, there it was. Having dug one you will find more, and a better one, so if you start to get overwhelmed with trying yo match it, don't worry about it... but eliminating the VT coppers, or at least matching against each to include/exclude, would be pretty easy and not very time consuming... because the reality is most dug CTs you can't say much more than it's a CT.
You nailed it. I had this coin looked at by a colonial coin expert. 1787 connecticut copper. Nice job and thanks.

I know the wealth of knowledge is incredible on this site.

You nailed it. I had this coin looked at by a colonial coin expert. 1787 connecticut copper. Nice job and thanks.

If he didn't tell you the variety, or at least the sub-section, he may be an expert, but he is still guessing.

Yes I found it right across the channel on the other bank

If he didn't tell you the variety, or at least the sub-section, he may be an expert, but he is still guessing.
Your probobly right. I think I'll give him a call and see what he says about that.

Back
Top Bottom