Hello after a long time!

Tinky1878

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

I have been thinking about you all here on the forum and thought I should pop in and say hello!

After a couple years of no use, I brushed off the old White's XLT and hit a couple of places nearby. Didn't find much. Where I haven't been on the forum and out of the metal detecting scene, I didn't even realize my metal detector had been discontinued. :lol: I may have to consider upgrading if I keep it up.

I can't remember what I was doing when I last gave you all an update, but I graduated last May with a BS in Plant Biology from North Carolina State University. I'm now in graduate school there. I'm study traditional botany, essentially, whereas much of the "plant bio" discipline is now molecular in nature. So, I focus on floristics (plant species and distribution) and some systematics.

I look forward to hearing back from all of my friends, and I hope I will be able to take the time to check back regularly.

-Jake

Welcome back and congrats on graduating!
I think you have the record for most random member. :D You were active until 2010 then disappeared until 2013 and were only back for a week then disappeared again until now. Hopefully you stick around longer this visit! If not I will talk to you again in about 3 years! :lol:

Welcome from Buffalo NY , congrats on your B S , ya know your gonna get a lot of plant pics to ID
HH

Great to hear from you Tink! Guess I should call you Jake now as you are grown man! :D Sounds like you have done quite well so far! Keep it up my friend!

Welcome back and congrats on graduating!
I think you have the record for most random member. :D You were active until 2010 then disappeared until 2013 and were only back for a week then disappeared again until now. Hopefully you stick around longer this visit! If not I will talk to you again in about 3 years! :lol:

Haha! :laughing: Life happens!

Hi Tinky!

Glad to hear you're doing so well. Everything is going good here too. :yes:

Hey look who is here!
Welcome back Jake and congrats on graduating!
I love plants myself, mostly something I can eat though.
I just ordered a bunch of scion wood to graft to my apple trees, never done it before but it seem easy enough...

Stick around if you're not too busy!

Hey look who is here!
Welcome back Jake and congrats on graduating!
I love plants myself, mostly something I can eat though.
I just ordered a bunch of scion wood to graft to my apple trees, never done it before but it seem easy enough...

Stick around if you're not too busy!

That's awesome, Vlad! I took Plant Propagation and we grafted plums, ginkgos, and sweet potatoes (not all together, but cultivars within the species, haha). Just make sure your vascular cambium tissues align and you'll be golden! :lol:

And will do! I've been getting out and detecting for the last two weekends, but little luck with finds. I've got some nice sites lined up and I'm getting excited. Also, I've sort of got my eye on a new machine. Not sure if I should take the plunge at this point, because as soon as spring kicks in, I'll have to do much more research work on my graduate project. But then again, I'll need a nice hobby to keep me sane!

That's awesome, Vlad! I took Plant Propagation and we grafted plums, ginkgos, and sweet potatoes (not all together, but cultivars within the species, haha). Just make sure your vascular cambium tissues align and you'll be golden! :lol:

And will do! I've been getting out and detecting for the last two weekends, but little luck with finds. I've got some nice sites lined up and I'm getting excited. Also, I've sort of got my eye on a new machine. Not sure if I should take the plunge at this point, because as soon as spring kicks in, I'll have to do much more research work on my graduate project. But then again, I'll need a nice hobby to keep me sane!

Good seeing you Tink and congrats on graduating... reading your reply to Vlad why would you graft Ginko... have you ever smelled its fruit when its rotting on the ground... its putrid :lol:

Welcome back Tinky, just got back myself. Man keep going with what you have, I got my MXT out cleaned it up took it out for a short run and love it all over again. :yes:

Good seeing you Tink and congrats on graduating... reading your reply to Vlad why would you graft Ginko... have you ever smelled its fruit when its rotting on the ground... its putrid :lol:

There are neat cultivars with different leaf shapes and growth habits. The female ginkgo produces the seeds (they aren't actually fruit, but a seed with a fleshy, fruit-like seed coat). To propagate more males is another reason for grafting.

Long time

Surprise Surprise !!! I just logged back on yesterday. Glad to hear you are doing so well with your education. Welcome back to the hobby. It's like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it. Best of luck with your return to detecting. Will be waiting for your first great find.:yes:

I heard people graft watermelons to pumpkins, I might give that a try since I never seem to have much luck with them, pumpkins on the other hand go crazy here...

Thanks for the tip about cambium layer, I will do my best to get things aligned properly and use sterile knifes, I stocked up on a few dozen verities so hopefully something will take. Frenken tree in the works!

Back
Top Bottom