Hoover Boys AT-Max, Pro, Gold Depth test

Looks to me like the gold is as good in the video as the at max.
Sliver of silver the gold beat the max.
The rest looked like a photo finish tie.

I'll stick to the at pro for coins and jewelry,if I were a relic hunter I'd go with the gold maybe.At max looks ok,but I think they'd have done better just putting a volume control,backlight and bigger numbers on the at pro.

I'll stick to the at pro for coins and jewelry,if I were a relic hunter I'd go with the gold maybe.At max looks ok,but I think they'd have done better just putting a volume control,backlight and bigger numbers on the at pro.

That is 2 videos I've seen.
Wearing the same coils, Gold unit impressive.
Garrett should change their line, put the bigger coil on stock At Gold unit.

Will wait to see Gold vs Max wearing 5x8" coills on separation test.

Also in the video, I thought gold unit could be swung slower vs the At Max to get the same signal.

Look to me like the op was swinging Max faster to bring targets signal to life more.
Could be my imagination though.

Garrett has 2 good machines already,all they had to do was incorporate a backlight,bigger numbers and a volume control on the at pro and the at gold,,no need to make a whole new machine.Theyd have sold just as many new pro and gold units with just those features added.

Seems like the AT Max is just an AT Gold with an AT Pro coil. The wireless headphones, backlight, larger numbers and ability to ground balance to salt water(I think) is well worth about $100 extra for. I would get one if I didnt already spend too much $$$$ on Deus with two coils. May try and find a nice used Gold.

Last edited:
Garrett has 2 good machines already,all they had to do was incorporate a backlight,bigger numbers and a volume control on the at pro and the at gold,,no need to make a whole new machine.Theyd have sold just as many new pro and gold units with just those features added.

The Max crushed the Gold in all metal mode. It's better in zero mode as well and has all the other benefits the Gold doesn't. The sliver was the only one the Gold was about even with the Max. Max was stronger everywhere else.

The Max crushed the Gold in all metal mode. It's better in zero mode as well and has all the other benefits the Gold doesn't. The sliver was the only one the Gold was about even with the Max. Max was stronger everywhere else.

I was told by a at Max tester that the audio on the max is just like the audio on the gold,,clipped.For that reason alone I wouldn't buy one, and wouldn't buy another gold..I'll stick with my at pro,it works the best for me and my likes

I was told by a at Max tester that the audio on the max is just like the audio on the gold,,clipped.For that reason alone I wouldn't buy one, and wouldn't buy another gold..I'll stick with my at pro,it works the best for me and my likes

And that's what matters most. Interesting about the clipped audio. I was told different. But hey , every machine will elicit different opinions. It makes the world go around.

I have lost interest in Max.
My interest has peaked on the gold unit though.
We'll see.

Let's see how cheap they start selling for used when the max hits the streets.

max might suffer since the kh is lower in that kind of test. Did you guys think the audio was that great for the max in the video?

It was better than the Gold for the targets detected. It also reached targets the Pro couldn't. Switched to all metal mode it wasn't close. It crushed the Gold.

I went to the small sliver of silver reale and listened to the gold and max with my eyes close a few times to see how much different the audio was not much on the silver reale that I could tell the max did better on the quarter , that all metal mode dont impress me as I would never use it and I wonder out of all the at users what percentage will actually hunt with it. I bet that number is really small as most I have found are trying very hard not to dig to much junk. lol

I went to the small sliver of silver reale and listened to the gold and max with my eyes close a few times to see how much different the audio was not much on the silver reale that I could tell

The sliver was the closest in audio of all the targets detected. Max won the rest.

Back
Top Bottom