Low battery on the Mojave...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I wonder if any of you owners have noticed this.
I have been using the Mojave for several weeks on many hunts but on my last one I realized that near the end I wasn't picking up everything anymore, even with my knob down to all metal I was pretty much silent searching, I was still picking up some signals on a few shallow targets but usually with no disc I would get a million hits on the huge amount of trash and iron I have infested in most of my sites...the one I was hunting in for sure.
At the beginning of the hunt I had a decently long battery tone when I powered up but near the end when I noticed this happening I turned it off then on again and that tone was now extremely short.
I have run my Compadre down to nothing a few times over the years I have used it and noticed the tone might get a bit fuzzy right near the end but I still seemed to pick up most targets I came across at all depths it could reach.
This one seems different...once I hit a certain low battery level it is like I lost a lot of depth.
Not a big deal as long as I know this can happen, I rarely run my batteries all the way down on any detector and always a good idea to have fresh batteries around no matter what tools you are using.

As far as battery time I never kept track but this is the original battery supplied by the factory and I probably have somewhere around 30 hours on this thing at least...could be more than that so I am satisfied.

I will put in a new battery and hopefully get out later today and take advantage of the better digging conditions we suddenly have due to a bunch of recent rains.
I am sure it will get back to normal after that exchange.

Last edited:

Attachments

• photostudio_1501155284780.jpg
    photostudio_1501155284780.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 156
Mine seems to start losing depth when the battery test is at about a 3 second count. 6-7 second count when new batteries are in it.
There was a discussion about this a while back on Finds if I remember correctly.
I was making sure to do an air test before I started hunting when I first got mine. The battery seems to go away faster than compadre towards the end.
I've been going to a fresh battery when it gets around 4 on the battery test.
Still seems to get around 20 hours before it gets that low.

Mine seems to start losing depth when the battery test is at about a 3 second count. 6-7 second count when new batteries are in it.
There was a discussion about this a while back on Finds if I remember correctly.
I was making sure to do an air test before I started hunting when I first got mine. The battery seems to go away faster than compadre towards the end.
I've been going to a fresh battery when it gets around 4 on the battery test.
Still seems to get around 20 hours before it gets that low.

So I am not crazy after all.
Good to know...the wife still won't believe it I bet but that is something, at least. :lol:

I gues it depends on your definition of crazy! HaHa

But the machine is as it should be I guess.
I've had the same with the compadre and it will
Sound fuzzy on a target or two and then it's dead.
No tapering off just gone.
I guess the Mojave must have a lot more going on inside.
Still plenty of fun per 9V for me. Love it!

Noah

So check...get down to a 4 second beep and change the battery, I can live with a solid 20 hours of fun per battery.

I started hunting with this thing on 5/18, two months later after several hunts and hours, had to be close to 20 hours or more by then, I was hunting on low gain at like 1-2 and still came across this decent piece of iron that I believe is some sort of horse tack...and it was solid and every bit of 8-9" deep.
There hasn't been any horses run through this area since the late 1800's so the depth seems right.
In my dirt that is amazing even at full power, on this piece of iron which is admittedly bigger than a coin I don't think my Compadre would have touched this target even on a new battery and with the sense turned up to max internally and the 7" coil.
I didn't notice how long the battery check tone was but it had to close to that 3-4 second range.
So I believe you may be correct...there is a big drop off in range when you hit a certain battery level that I didn't notice on the Compadre.
Like I said as long as I know that I can deal with it.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75934_1500311762 (1).jpg
    user10659_pic75934_1500311762 (1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 126
I generally buy batteries on sale. I'm currently using batteries (AA and 9v) I bought 5 years ago, which is why I check them with a volt meter, matter of fact, just checked several the other day.

Once a 9v in gets to 8v, it gets set aside for use in pinpointer, once a AA gets close to 1v, I set them aside for remotes, etc.

I think I've read these batteries become (generally speaking) worthless at 60% of full charge.

Back
Top Bottom