Coil Question

Kilo9

Well, my first newbie question. I just got started in this hobby, and as much as I want to hurry up and learn it, and upgrade to a more advanced machine, I think I'll give myself a year or so. That being said, I do feel like I want to try using a different coil for my Ace 250. I don't want to start investing $$ in more than one extra coil, because as far as I'm concerned, that's money that can be put towards a new machine later down the road.
I've researched until I'm blue in the face, so it's time to get some in-the-field advice from other members.
I've got it narrowed down to the 8.5"x11" DD, or the 5"x8" DD. I realize, two different sizes, two different results (for the most part), but I really want something a little more precise, and will probably be looking more for the smaller jewelry, coin-type targets. I feel like the stock 250 coil is ok for any recon that I want to do.
My gut tells me the 5"x8". Thoughts?

The 5x8 definitely has better target separation than the 8.5x11, so it would be better for zeroing in on the jewelry.

One thing to note on the DD coils is that bottle caps drive them crazy. On the concentric coil you have now, bottle caps ring up mostly as iron. The DD coils will see them as coin shaped objects and it will often times ring up as a penny or a dime. So if you're looking for coins, you'll be digging a lot more bottle caps in your quest.

The 5x8 definitely has better target separation than the 8.5x11, so it would be better for zeroing in on the jewelry.

One thing to note on the DD coils is that bottle caps drive them crazy. On the concentric coil you have now, bottle caps ring up mostly as iron. The DD coils will see them as coin shaped objects and it will often times ring up as a penny or a dime. So if you're looking for coins, you'll be digging a lot more bottle caps in your quest.

Copy that. That's what I was wondering. I even had the Sniper coil on my research list, but that seems to be a little too specialized. It didn't make the cut. Thanks!

I have different coils for my Garrett AT Pro but use the 5x8 almost exclusively. It is the perfect size coil.
Thanks LM. I don't think I'll mind too much digging up a lot more bottle caps. The fact that the 5x8 is more precise as you all have said, will make me happy.

Good post! But dragging the coil backward over the target as you slowly sweep left to right will often give you a very different audio drop off on a screw cap compared to a coin. Experiment with it.

Back
Top Bottom