New to forum, same'ol question

Avanade

Hi. Im new to your forum and have been reading through the posts on purchasing a metal detector. OMG I think my head is going to burst. Every time I think I know what I want, I see another manufacture/model discussed and my brain just explodes.

First post so please bear with me.

I'm looking for a MD for my daughter for her 11th birthday (3 weeks out). This will be the first MD in the family, but she's a really smart kid and has been interested in this for over a year. Time to make good.

I've been focused on the Garrett Ace line (250, 350) and the Fisher line (F2, F4) simply because there just seems to be more general info about them avail. Then I come here and you all have SOO many different models under discussion.

So ... here's how I foresee her (us) using it. Primarily sandy beaches, some wooded areas, open fields. Regarding the beaches, she has 2 main areas to explore. First is at the ocean and has a wide area of what I expect is mainly dry down to 12"-18" inches (maybe even deeper). The other is tidal and wet when the tide rolls in, "dry" when the tide is out but i'd say it's really always "wet" (this is at her grandpa's place so it will likely be location #1 she tries).

I'm willing to put some cash into this as I believe in beginners starting with equipment they can grow into. Also usually better than beginner gear has greater quality and functionality. My price range is $350'ish. Open to going higher but it will need to be very convincing. OK spending less if it just makes sense to start there (ex. Garrett Ace 250/Fisher F2/similar).

Thank you for your help!! I'm hoping to see my daughter successful in this interest and to really develop a passion for being out and exploring.

If you were shopping for your child, what would you get (and maybe why)?

Good hunting and thanks! ... (sorry, i'm just long winded)

At a $350 budget, definitely get the Fisher F2 and the Garrett ProPointer. That'll get you under $350 and you'll still have a bit to spend on a digger and pouch. That's a great set up and is what I started out with.

im with Terry. I bought a compadre then got and Tesoro bandito 2, Xterra 705 tesoro conquistador umax, tesoro silversaber, Goldmaster2, Tesoro Outlaw, Infinium. After I had the Compadre, I got enamored with the 705 and all its bells and whistles. I didnt like it and sold it. Sold the bandito 2, the conquistador and silver saber. I still have the Compadre, Outlaw, GM2 and Infinium. Guess which one I use the most? Compadre is the winner. I have thought about selling all of these except the Compadre. I added a coil plug to mine so I could change coils, but I used it the most even before I did this. I know most people dont want to mod theirs, but now you can get one with an 8" coil from the factory so its not as tempting to try. If I was shopping for a kids detector I would get a Compadre (8" coil), Pro pointer, and digging tool.
I can give no input on Aces and F2s but I have heard a lot of good about them also. I have been thinking about trying a new Gold Bug. It is light, fast recovery, and supposedly ground balances down to the salt. I have seen them used for close to what you are wanting to spend. Good luck.

I have had the Fisher F2 w/ 2coils for two weeks now and I can say that it is the best metal detector for the money, it's easy to pinpoint as long as you push the pinpoint button pretty close to the target. When ever you get a solid coin signal, DIG IT!! The depth reader is dead accurate on coin sized objects. The ID is much greater then the Ace 350 that my friend has, and pinpointing is much more accurate.

If your looking for a detector for the beginner or the experienced, for the money, get the Fisher F2 and a propointer. Today I had to share my propointer w/ three others because the f point couldn't do the job.

My personal choice on coil is the 8" once you know how to pinpoint its real easy w/ practice. And I'm getting depths of 6" on dimes.

This is my take on the Fisher F2 what's yours.

Big Boys

Now that your totally overwhelmed again go with Bart. He's not only there to sell you, but he'll also help you. He's posted above. He's fair and fast and can be contacted always.

:digginahole:

I kinda did a poll here about a month ago. I was torn between the F2 coil pkg ($215) or a Compadre ($170).

The F2 came out ahead with about 70% of the vote. Picked one up on Ebay, 2 coils, trowel, bag and a fisher pinpointer for $215, Free s/h. Used a 10% coupon and was $193.50 to my door.

Turned around and sold the worthless trowel, bag and PP for $60 to go toward a Garrett PP.

Don't look back...this F2 is powerful and extremely sensitive, I'm happy.

good luck...let us know what you picked!

I have a good amount of experience with the F2, a 7" coil Compadre and I am playing around with a 8" coil Compadre loaner.

All great, but for kids something with a screen and numbers is a little easier to learn and a little bit more fun to run with when you are shiny new at all of this.

F2.

Back
Top Bottom