Anyone here own or owned a waterproof machine but don’t water hunt.

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Just trying to figure out on this forum alone who owns or owned a waterproof machine,but don’t water hunt?

At pro
At max
At gold
Mx sport
Equinox
Makro kruzer
And anything waterproof I missed.

I own an AT Pro and never took it water hunting. I mostly stick to trashy dirt lots in the old parts of town. I did more water hunting when I lived in SoCal. Been in Texas for 10 years now and am always on land.

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a Tesoro Stingray II years ago with the intent to take it diving. Only taken it a few times. Later wanted a PI, so I got the Infinium LS partially because of waterproof. I've taken it diving a couple of times. This lack of diving MD is from opportunity related factors. I wanted a detector with good discriminating capabilities so I got the AT Pro a few years back. I refer to the water capabilities on the ATP as "dunk proof"; easier to hose off and it's not destroyed if caught in the rain or dropped in waist deep water.

Recently I was out with the ILS when a storm popped up out of nowhere. Recalling I had switched to the water proof head phones last minute before I leaving to hunt, I just kept swinging. I would probably inadvertently destroy a non-water proof machine the first time near water if only spilling my drink...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ive got two. I water hunted a little while with the AT pro but not anymore. Its nice to know I can though , if the mood strikes me.

A lot of the older Minelab Excals are modified on longer shafts with upgraded coils, headphones and pin point mods and used as waders.

Don't have to worry about the integrity of O-rings of knobs and battery pods too much.

I've got a CTX. I've even upgraded the o-rings on the battery seals so it's fully waterproof, but I don't think I'll ever submerse it. I've used it for wading a few times, but that's about it. Mostly land hunting for me

I have the Beach Hunter I have used in the water a few times. The AT PRO and Equinox 800 that I have never used in the water.

I wish

I run my White's Eagle Spectrum coil in a few inches of water sometimes. I would like a fully waterproof machine, so I can hunt in rain, or set it down in shallow water, and to be able to just rinse it off when dirty. I don't plan to swim to detect, but may get a WP for the other reasons.

Haha, well how about the question in reverse order: How many people here own a non-waterproof machine, that they use in the water ? Doh !

When the beach erosion season (storms, crashing waves, rains, etc...) hit our area, is when a few of us die-hards are out there fighting waves, hunting in pouring rain etc....

In the super old days (early 1980s) before the advent of most water proof beach machines), we would wrap up our machines with plastic and black tape. What a hassle. Because then you couldn't swap out batteries, couldn't see your control buttons easily, etc... And if you took a FULL dunk (fell down during a wave or something), water could still creep into gaps in the plastic and tape. There were fully water proof pulse machines in those years, but .... too many nails and iron on our beaches to be using pulse. So we were condemned to the onerous plastic wrap exercises.

So the Excalibur was a was a welcome relief from that. Waterproof PLUS has discrimination for iron. Woohooo. But after several years, I wore out my excalibur. I intended to replace it, but never got around to it. And just returned to plastic wrap and black tape for my land machine (Exp. II by this point). And sure as cr*p, I've lost no less than 2 Explorers that got fried by salt water, in the last decade or so. Aarrgghhh.

This is one of the reasons I toyed with going with the Nox. D/t it's water proof. And I never was that fond of the annoying long bbbeeeooonnngggg tails of the excal.

Many years ago I had a Tesoro Stingray 2 .I actually only used it in the water two or three times and a few times in the rain .I liked that if it got mudded up I could wash it off with the garden hose . I ended up selling it to a dedicated water hunter after I decided I didn't like hunting in the rain anymore .

Just trying to figure out on this forum alone who owns or owned a waterproof machine,but don’t water hunt?

At pro
At max
At gold
Mx sport
Equinox
Makro kruzer
And anything waterproof I missed.

A few you missed. I've waterproofed several land machines and also had most of the ones listed below. Waterproof cases are necessary with all the humidity and rain we get, but as far as a dedicated water machine, I prefer the Excal, CTX, and NOX. :D

FISHER:
CZ-7
CZ-7a
CZ-7a Pro
CZ-70
CZ-20
CZ-21
Impulse

MINELAB:
Excalibur
CTX

WHITES:
Beach Hunter ID 300
Surf PI PRo
Dual Field

DETECTOR PRO:
Diver
UW-12
PULSE

GARRETT
XL200
XL500 VLF
XL500 PI
Sea Hunter 2
Infinium
ATX

TESORO
Sand Shark
Tiger Shark

AQUASOUND
(Multiple)

JW FISHER
(Multiple)

Note: I included the Fisher CZ7 series due to their official rating as splashproof. The housing is completely sealed so a deluge of rain and rogue wave do not affect it, but it can't withstand significant pressure....the headphone isn't mechanically sealed either.

Attachments

• MD3_zpsnqygmmyl.jpg
    MD3_zpsnqygmmyl.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 275
I waterproofed a Compadre for fresh water lakes.
It found me lots of goodies!

Now I have a MKruzer and the old home made job
doesn't get much use, guess it's time to see if she's
still waterproof??? :surfin:

I've got the AT Pro but never really water hunted...yet. I'm looking forward to trying it though.

that reminds me...I should order a set of waterproof headphones

I've got the AT Pro but never really water hunted...yet. I'm looking forward to trying it though.

that reminds me...I should order a set of waterproof headphones
That's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A few you missed. I've waterproofed several land machines and also had most of the ones listed below. Waterproof cases are necessary with all the humidity and rain we get, but as far as a dedicated water machine, I prefer the Excal, CTX, and NOX. :D

FISHER:
CZ-7
CZ-7a
CZ-7a Pro
CZ-70
CZ-20
CZ-21
Impulse

MINELAB:
Excalibur
CTX

WHITES:
Beach Hunter ID 300
Surf PI PRo
Dual Field

DETECTOR PRO:
Diver
UW-12
PULSE

GARRETT
XL200
XL500 VLF
XL500 PI
Sea Hunter 2
Infinium
ATX

TESORO
Sand Shark
Tiger Shark

AQUASOUND
(Multiple)

JW FISHER
(Multiple)

Note: I included the FIsher CZ7 series due to them being rated as splashproof. The housing is completely sealed so a deluge of rain and rogue wave do not affect it, but it can't withstand significant pressure....the headphone isn't mechnically sealed.

Good post.

The beeeeeoooonnngg sound.

That's why I like the pin point mod. Hunt in pin point (the deeper mode) then switch to discriminate after you find a target.

Pin point gives you the caw caw of the crow.

Back
Top Bottom