Anybody else have "detector toe" numbness?

Foragist

Forum Supporter
My big toe on my right foot has had some numbness for a while now...maybe a year now. I think it comes from using that toe for balance when I drop to my right knee to dig a plug. That toe sometimes starts hurting after a lot of repetitive digs. If I don't go MD'ing for a while; take it easy; the pain goes away, but the numbness persists.

So, does anyone else have this "Detector toe" condition?

No, but my shoulder has taken a beating! When I extend my arm out and then rotate my arm around in a big circle slowly you can hear kind of a scratchy friction and a pop with every circle.

How old are you?

Could be the wonderful world of arthritis, it sneaks up on you.

No, but my shoulder has taken a beating! When I extend my arm out and then rotate my arm around in a big circle slowly you can hear kind of a scratchy friction and a pop with every circle.

I have this issue too.

I'm 61, and I get it also. Comes along with my bunions, which run in my family. One foot is worse than the other so I adjudt my stance and often squat or bend in stead of the same one toe kneeling you describe. It's hell getting old !:laughing::laughing::laughing:

this is good for wrist problems

this help me a lot on sore wrist that I use to swing. DetectorPro Detecting Pal Body Harness for Metal Detector

it transfers the weight to your shoulder from your wrist. not expensive $25.

Turned 53 this year. I get shoulder and elbow pains too, but this post is to see if this toe numbness is a common thing among avid plug diggers. (I would think beach detectorists wouldn't have this particular problem.)

It's definitely related to my repeated one knee stance, but maybe my footwear too. I usually buy cheaper tennis/walking shoes, because I get 'em dirty and wear 'em out anyway.

I had the same problem with my left big toe. I always knelt on my left knee. I switched to kneeling on my right knee and it got better. It hasn't affected my right knee yet, but I don't detect as much as I did a couple years ago. I remember a few years ago someone had this problem and their solution was to not kneel with your big toe bent, but put your entire lower leg on the ground with your foot sideways, if that makes any sense. A little harder to get up then, but it worked for him.

Last edited:
I had to change the way I knelt to dig as I was getting a blood blister on my big toe Concerned me enough to go see a podiatrist. Now I am careful to not bend my toes when I kneel.

Thanks everyone, for the input. I tried some different things while hunting today, but it will take some getting used to. I'll start practicing left knee drops next time. Probably hold out for a while before resorting to the "bunch of drugs" method. :grin:
How come I never heard of "detector toe" before? Seriously, I could cut off a big slab of the outer edge of that thing, and only feel some tingling.

Here is one possibility - (Peripheral Neuropathy)

https://www.webmd.com/brain/understanding-peripheral-neuropathy-basics#1

excerpt from the above link:

"......Prolonged pressure on a nerve, caused by extended periods of being sedentary (such as sitting in a wheelchair or lying in bed), or continuous, repetitive motions, can trigger a mononeuropathy."

(see article at the above link for more info)

Both my hands went numb this morning during my pre dawn beach sweep at 4am...it was 55 degrees and a stiff Wind was blowing..., plus, I found 2 full cans of beer that I drank @4:30..and smoked a half a pack of nonfilters before sunup,,,, so you are right, beach hunters have their own set of problems to deal with!...I simply went back to the car and put on some spare socks for mittens!...drove home at 7am with the heater going full blast...not kidding...:laughing:.

I develop a numbness elsewhere while I am setting a long time trying to decide which channel to view.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom