Hello from Denver, picked up an MX5 from James45...

mdmike01

Hey everyone, New to the forum and new to metal detecting. (Denver).
I woke up a few weeks ago and said, "I think I want to get a metal detector". And so it was.
Picked up a Whites MX5 with some Audio200 headphones from James45 (Thanks James) and it arrived today. I had watched a review/how to video several times so knew kinda what to do and how to set it up when it got here.

Went out in the yard and detected metal! Haha.

Nails, bolt, foil, wire, electrical clip/contact... (And some BIG @SS PIPE I couldn't dig out without jacking up the yard).

Thanks for the advice from those of you that have answered my other questions/posts. Much appreciated.

I raked in the attached, on my initial hunt.

MDMike

Attachments

• 20180625_161041.jpg
    20180625_161041.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I have a Detech Ultimate 13" coil on my MX 5. Good machine, fast responding.

Great id on a nickel vs a pull tab in either dry or wet sand.

Welcome from SW WI

When you hit a signal that sound's interesting, swing on it North and South and east and west, see if it sounds the same way at 90 degrees, those nails normally won't give good signals at both angles, unless you have your sensitivity maxed out.

Also swinging the coil 6" above the ground, and still receiving a similar signal would be a good indication of a larger target.

Starting out it's still important to dig the iffy signal, just pay attention to the sound and VDI prior to digging so you learn to associate the sound, VDI and targets.

welcome from Atlanta, GA

keep at it. you will still find junk like that on most of your hunts, but soon along with the junk you will find a prized find. That is what keeps us all active. It is the thrill of the hunt. Every time you search a plug or hole you never know what you may find. Dig all signals because you don't want to lay awake at night wondering about the signal near the tree that may have been junk or an engagement ring last week.

I did a lot better with my MX5 when I went to the 6x10 DD Eclipse coil. You can usually pick them up used for less than a hundred bucks. Good hunting!

OOooohh, I am totally jealous. I've never found a nail or piece of can slaw before :roll: But seriously now: Barber coins are just around the corner. Then it will be seateds. Then it will be busts & reales. And ... before you know it .... any gold coin newer than 1850 will bore you to tears ! Welcome to the addiction :lol:

OOooohh, I am totally jealous. I've never found a nail or piece of can slaw before :roll: But seriously now: Barber coins are just around the corner. Then it will be seateds. Then it will be busts & reales. And ... before you know it .... any gold coin newer than 1850 will bore you to tears ! Welcome to the addiction :lol:

Sounds like the typical life of a hunter from CA :laughing: welcome from central MA!

Back
Top Bottom