NOW It Happens! AAARRRGGGHHH! Tenosynovitis!

SageGrouse

Elite Member
NOW when I am retired and have all the time I need... NOW, when I fond a good place to hunt. NOW, when I am within walking distance...
NOW, I wake up. my thumb is sore, and when I open and close my hand *snap!* *snap!* Clicking, popping, sore thumb joint!

Quick like a flash to the Internets, and search and... I have "trigger Thumb" or Stenosing Tenosynovitis! In the hand that holds the detector! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

So I've ordered a thumb brace for sleeping, am using it less in touch typing (and dropping my WPM significantly) and getting a squeeze ball (they'll be here by Monday Amazon Prime says) but one of the suggestions is...
Stop the repetitive squeezing motions, or choose lighter tools.

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!! And just exactly HOW am I to "lighten" my detectors?!

So today... instead of happily sailing out to hit my favorite spot... I'm in here trying to figure out what to do. My thumb is OK during the day, but at night it "freezes" into position and hurts when I flex or extend it... I do NOT want it to get any worse... guess I'll have to look into a harness or something.

What do you guys do when this happens?
Sage(SNAP!)Grouse

I have had my middle finger left hand injected three times. So far so good. But if it happens again they will do surgery to the sheath that the tendon runs thru. Minor surgery. Try to not use the thumb to grasp the handle on your detector.

Get the Detector Pro light harness and start swinging with the other arm.

Really rest the bad hand. I've had a upper arm problem for about 8 months.

Old age is a !!!!!.

I know as we get older our bodys feel and act different,in my prime both knees went out, than a pacemaker, now copd. i just pace myself,and try not to go full blast , i can cope with what i find or not find. you will find a way.

I have trigger thumb. Can hardly believe how painfull it was and how it affects EVERYTHING !!! I got the shots. The first didn’t seem to last too long but this last shot has me pain free for about three or four months now.
The shot hurts of course, for a day but soooo worth it ! When you can’t take it any more you will do something. I recommend the shot before surgery. Surgery leaves you with nerve damage and scar tissue that can be a bother. Good luck

That is rotten. I have a problem like that. My fingers lock up. My Dr. told me to start taking. Vitamin D3. Well, it is working for me. Not having the problem. You take care my friend. .. KEN

That is rotten. I have a problem like that. My fingers lock up. My Dr. told me to start taking. Vitamin D3. Well, it is working for me. Not having the problem. You take care my friend. .. KEN
I agree about the vitamin D3. I had upper arm and shoulder pain from downhill skiing wipeouts when I was younger...took a couple months with a daily dose of the D3, but my aching has disappeared.

I agree about the vitamin D3. I had upper arm and shoulder pain from downhill skiing wipeouts when I was younger...took a couple months with a daily dose of the D3, but my aching has disappeared.

Going to put a Ditto next to the Vitamin D .. In my case D3 does not absorb..
I now Take D2 (prescription) which absorbs 50,000 mg a week in one pill.
has helped a muscle issue I was having.

I had both of my hands surgically removed a few years ago...They were just in the way and always getting frostbit and stuff...So, I installed a Ball Detent adapter like a ratchet wrench has! 3/8 on one wrist, and 3/4 on the other for the heavy work!

Everything I own has been retrofitted to these common standards! Paint roller, fishing pole, detectors, nail guns, spatula, toothbrush, various tools, TV remote, whatever! See? Just pop on the right tool and go!

My Life has been so much simpler and productive without hands! Plus I'm saving myself a fortune in mittens! Sure a guy has to get used to the concept a little...Proper Tool selection is important.....I mean, a fellow dont want to wipe his bottom with the toothbrush, or pick his nose with the nailgun...when the spatula or the paint roller attachment would do a better job in either cases..:laughing:

Also maybe strap the detector to your arm to relieve stress from holding on to tight

I had both of my hands surgically removed a few years ago...They were just in the way and always getting frostbit and stuff...So, I installed a Ball Detent adapter like a ratchet wrench has! 3/8 on one wrist, and 3/4 on the other for the heavy work!

.:laughing:

I don't understand, was looking in the 'seen on TV' section at Sears but can't find the handball detentes? :shrug:

Sorry to hear about your pains, but we are getting some good doses of laughter medicine in this thread.
Don't think "surgery"! Think "heal" instead. First, take it easy on that hand for a time. Think about things like a harness, or compression gloves or whatever might help lighten the load, or control the problem. Also learn and follow good nutrition/medical advice. Consider pain relief cream/gel/etc., maybe a muscle relaxer?

For 1st aid, remember R.I.C.E. = Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

Might be a good time for a comfrey poultice, or other herbal remedies.

Good luck and HH!

I have had 2 trigger fingers done on my hand at the same time. I did not think the surgery was very bad in my case.

Remember if the joint locks up do not force it straight you can tear the tendon and need more in-depth surgery. Try the vitamins and see if that works. The hand squeezing exercise, I do not see how that will help. What happens is on the tendon of the finger or thumb you developed a little bump or nodule. This bump catches on the sheath around the tendon and this prevents the tendon from moving in the sheath.

Good luck.

Ray

My personal fix

NOW when I am retired and have all the time I need... NOW, when I fond a good place to hunt. NOW, when I am within walking distance...
NOW, I wake up. my thumb is sore, and when I open and close my hand *snap!* *snap!* Clicking, popping, sore thumb joint!

Quick like a flash to the Internets, and search and... I have "trigger Thumb" or Stenosing Tenosynovitis! In the hand that holds the detector! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

So I've ordered a thumb brace for sleeping, am using it less in touch typing (and dropping my WPM significantly) and getting a squeeze ball (they'll be here by Monday Amazon Prime says) but one of the suggestions is...
Stop the repetitive squeezing motions, or choose lighter tools.

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!! And just exactly HOW am I to "lighten" my detectors?!

So today... instead of happily sailing out to hit my favorite spot... I'm in here trying to figure out what to do. My thumb is OK during the day, but at night it "freezes" into position and hurts when I flex or extend it... I do NOT want it to get any worse... guess I'll have to look into a harness or something.

What do you guys do when this happens?
Sage(SNAP!)Grouse

I got "Tennis Elbow"! I even went out and ordered one of those straps to help hold the detector up! Except they must be made for folks shorter than me! 6'3". Finally tried using my other arm to hold the detector and was surprised at how extremely easy it was to use either arm! Try it!!!!

I got "Tennis Elbow"! I even went out and ordered one of those straps to help hold the detector up! Except they must be made for folks shorter than me! 6'3". Finally tried using my other arm to hold the detector and was surprised at how extremely easy it was to use either arm! Try it!!!!
I do that when fatigued, it does work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom