Metal Detector for Kids

henderry

I’m looking to get a detector that would be a good entry for me and the kids (ages 10 and 8). If they like it, we could upgrade at some point. Is is better to get a more powerful used detector or a new one that may not be as high-end? For example, I can get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for 79.99 or a Quick Draw Pro for 159.99 (both new) or a Garrett Ace 250 for $150 (used). We would mostly be hunting parks and fields as well as the dry sand at beaches. Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated.

I'm not saying it's what you should ultimately get, but if you do decide on the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV you can get one for about $66 with the coupon on the Hobby Lobby web site, click on the link below to check out a post from a previous thread for a link and more details and a video -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2890340&postcount=4

I just checked and the coupon is still available.

Ace 250 is what my kids use. Decent machine. My brother in law found a gold coin with an ace250. Tesoro compadre is a better discriminator but doesn’t have a screen.

For that sized kids there is no better value than the Digitek. (same as quick draw pro with smaller coil)

$129 shipped with my code A1466

https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/products/metal-detectors/digitek

Add a longer shaft for $15 if you have users over 5'8". It will hang with the best of them to about 7-8" deep coins.

If they are into smartphones at all they may like a Minelab Go-Find.

I just demo'd a go-find 44 (for a youtube video) and would sell it for $149 shipped if interested.

The digitek is a better detector just doesn't have the fold up ability and Bluetooth to smartphone stuff like the go-find.

Tracker 4 is perfectly fine but it's long and bulky for a kid.

Equinox!!!

giphy.gif

8 and 10 year old kids are real quick on technology these days. Get them the best machine you can afford !

Try to get something decent particularly if you are going to use it. I would look for a used AT pro or something similar. If you get something decent, and then decide you don't like the hobby, you should be able to sell it again for close to what you paid. If you buy a lesser unit, you likely won't be able to sell it.

Tru

If you get an entry level machine with a readout of any kind,it will be lying to you a great deal of the time anyway. SOUND...even on a mono-tone machine such as the Tesoro Compadre,is THE most important aspect of coin hunting. This point could be argued if you were to throw down 2 grand on a CTX,but other than that,audio is king. The QUALITY of the monotone...is it full and solid or weak and clipped...the most important thing to learn as a beginner is WHAT a coin sounds like. If you are paying attention to numbers or a needle that is wavering all over the place a lot of the time,that will do you NO good.
The VERY most important thing besides the machine itself is having a place that actually HAS COINS! This can be more difficult than you’d think,depending on who you have in your area who also hunts coins. But without a machine,you’ll never know if they exist around your area or not.
The Compadre is a great discriminator,which is what you’ll need in modern parks and schools,or even old ones for that matter. That would be my own recommendation for someone new. It is extremely light,simple to operate,runs a long time on a single 9 volt battery and has a lifetime warranty,all for around 160$.

Back
Top Bottom