When I find old pocket knives they are really rough... you too?

Iggyks

Elite Member
I've dug a handful of old pocket knives while detecting, and more often then not they are in awful shape. The weirdest part is the thin metal strips between blades seem to be there when the blades are totally gone. 50-75 years in the ground seems to be rougher on them than other things I find. Same for you??

Attachments

• P1010983.jpg
    P1010983.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 338
Most of them are rough. Some are better than others.
91ef8af1c7c5423f09bcabed81d2e181.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yours are a lot nicer than mine, only one of mine still has grips. Several of these came from a school that opened in 1910 and was closed by 1962 so they could easily be 75 years old I guess.. Thanks for the pic!

You're welcome, most of mine came from home sites that date back to the 1850s-1950s.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have found a number of old knives in pretty bad shape. I have alsp founf a few newer ones too. I think a lot of these had been thrown and trees, missed and they were unable to fing them. The folder pictured was found open in the grass next to a ball diamond where children play during games. I have found fixed blades too. The dagger I found in rough shape but refinished it and it turned out pretty nice. I even had a sheath that fit it.
Leatherman.jpg
Knife2.JPG
FDK1.JPG
FDK2.jpg

Attachments

• KnifeO.gif
    KnifeO.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 144
Iggyks,
Yes, all knifes I have found looks the the ones you found. Guessing in the ground or 50-80 years.
The Steel blades rust and the thin pieces are Brass which lasts in the ground. Most I found had the thin brass pieces broken, this is from the Rust on the steel blades expanding.

Case XX with Harley logs is my best knife find. Most of the ones I have found were no longer usable.

Attachments

• DSC01066.JPG
    DSC01066.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom