1808 1 Franc *clean up photo*

TrashMasterCCS

Elite Member
It was a hell of a week. One of my closest friends died. He was wounded in Iraq and a great Firefighter/Paramedic. He died tragically in a motorcycle accident. Semper Fi Volk! Until Valhalla brother!

Today I detected with my buddy behind my well house. Lots of square nails and iron tools have been found. Near by we have found some very good Gold Rush relics but due to my property’s development we have never taken it to serious. Due to the hot weather and concrete ground this time of year we decided to try our luck. (A Cohen Bro’s wreath tongue came from
dcf5cd543fed098f32fc490b59825b04.jpg
5804260371ee843fa0108c4c35690dad.jpg
near by.) About 5 minutes into detecting I said I either have a soda can or coin. Out popped this very patina’d 1808 1 Franc. My oldest coin to date and first “quarter” silver. I can’t wait to break into the 1700’s. Hope you enjoy.
588b7f972fa89a74d483324e941f7811.jpg
54d3a6195092a9d54dcc8ed13c9a530e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear from fellow Californians. Great piece of Gold rush history, showing the many places from-which people from around the world flooded to come to the gold rush. And sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sorry about your friend.
Congrats on the old silver, you are fortunate to live in gold country!
I would love to see a 1700s coin from Ca.
Happy detecting!

... I would love to see a 1700s coin from Ca.....

They are rare, but they do get found. I've found coins back to the 1760s-or-so here. 95+% of the time, when coins that old are found here, they are reales. Rarely ever an USA coin that old. We were a Spanish territory up till the 1820s. Then a Mexican territory , where, even then , it was primarily spanish reales mixed with a few Mexican mint coins. A few USA coins *might* have started entering during this period (but no-more-so than any other country of the world). It wasn't till the gold rush that USA coins realistically started to arrive.

And oddly, you will most likely get a seated coin of gold rush era, versus a Large cent. Because since cargo space/weight was at a premium, they would take a single bust or seated half, rather than 50 large cents, for example. So very difficult to get LC's out here.

They are rare, but they do get found. I've found coins back to the 1760s-or-so here. 95+% of the time, when coins that old are found here, they are reales. Rarely ever an USA coin that old. We were a Spanish territory up till the 1820s. Then a Mexican territory , where, even then , it was primarily spanish reales mixed with a few Mexican mint coins. A few USA coins *might* have started entering during this period (but no-more-so than any other country of the world). It wasn't till the gold rush that USA coins realistically started to arrive.

And oddly, you will most likely get a seated coin of gold rush era, versus a Large cent. Because since cargo space/weight was at a premium, they would take a single bust or seated half, rather than 50 large cents, for example. So very difficult to get LC's out here.

Good info Tom!

My condolences on the loss of your friend. And my congratulations on a wonderful find! You never know what is lurking just under the surface.

Well, I know that our east-coast brethren are probably thinking "ho-hum" at any coin newer than 1800. But here on the west coast, as you know, that's a badge of merit to get coins that old ! Congratz.

Well, I know that our east-coast brethren are probably thinking "ho-hum" at any coin newer than 1800. But here on the west coast, as you know, that's a badge of merit to get coins that old ! Congratz.

My buddy has 3-1700’s coins all from different sites. 2-1 reales 1780-90’s and 1 bavarian silver dollar 1769... My oldest prior to this was an 1811 gold 20 franc [emoji7]. I figure I’m inching closer to the prize. Luckily, there was tons of french and spanish activity out here, so I know it will happen. The best part about this last find was it happened on my own property. I stick to a mantra of “where there are square nails there is likely treasure.” Gotta love what the short lived Gold Rush left behind. Only if I lived in Europe. A couple thousand years worth of treasure sure would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom