Whos got the best deals for diggers

LandOLincoln

So after a couple cheap digging shovels/knifes and reading the forums, I am ready to go ahead and buy a good handheld digger and a small shovel I can use in parks here and also elsewhere. I think I am liking the looks and reviews of Lesche digging tool and the 18" sampson mini shovel. Look like im going to spend around 100$ depending on where i get it.
I was all ready to order it here, https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/lesche-sampson-18-t-handle-shovel-and-lesche-digging-tool-left-side-serrated/ , and then i noticed out of stock. Do any sponsors have this deal in stock, otherwise I have to go with walmart or amazon. Or is there something better for the same pricepoint that I am missing?

I'm lucky enough to have a detecting store nearby, where I could check out diggers in person, after holding them I thought the whites digmaster seemed to be better built than the leshe. Two things I don't like, the sheath is cheap junk and it says "made in Taiwan'. I have abused mine prying rocks and haven't bent it...yet. I also use the treasure wise 3 in 1 knife when I'm claddstabbing groomed lawns and want to leave a small hole.

A few months ago I bought a small detecting shovel (Sampson T-handle) and Colonial (a sponsor here) had a great price on it. edit - I guess they're not a sponsor anymore, don't seem to be listed.

These are what i ended up buying. Lesche handdigger(34$), lesche sampson mini t shovel(65$), and dune poisedon sand scoop(62$).

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_24791.jpg
    IMG_20180418_24791.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 229
I figured it would be easier to dig a deeper target, make a cleaner plug.

You can dig a smaller and therefore cleaner plug with a hand held digger. You can dig a 10 inch deep plug with a hand held which is more than sufficient. Shovels in parks are not a good sight when a park employee or anyone else sees you detecting.

I guess I am not familiar with the technique of getting a 10" plug with the hand digger. I definitely think i need to sharpen it. I seem to only get about a 4-6" plug. We are allowed to use a small shovel in parks here, why i went with the sampson mini, its seems fairly concealable hanging from your belt. Do you run into park employees alot out your way? I know our park district is really underfunded, even our biggest state park in the area cut its staff from 10 to about 4 conservation officers.

I have talked to a number of park workers while wearing my mini-Sampson and none of them have ever said anything about it. I can dig a neater plug with it than I can a hand digger.
MiniC.jpg

otherwise I have to go with walmart or amazon. Or is there something better for the same pricepoint that I am missing?

I have used and abused Hori-Hori type diggers for almost forty years and have never felt like they might break. You can find them on Amazon starting at about fifteen dollars.

Like the 31 T handle way better than the shorty model. You use one of these, you won't give a dsmn what anyone thinks. Also, it gives you a really good plug. I usually cut a 3 sided plug and flip it back on the still connected piece.
4312b93b867d40c2d798ea9460fa75cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where did you get your shovel holster? I like that design.

I made it myself. it's simply two 'L' brackets bent and bolted to a folded piece of leather. I have been using it for several years without any problems and it doesn't bang your leg while walking. It doesn't stand out for people to notice your shovel. It will work with either the 31" or the 18" Sampson. I have both but haven't used my 31" since I bought the 18".
H1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom