"Dirt Digger"

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
I got tired of sticking my hand in after a plug was pulled and almost getting cut on sharp objects at times or just ruining gloves too fast, so....I created my "Dirt Digger", a fairly simple item to pull dirt out of a hole after a plug is popped, and can also dig in the hole a little deeper if needed or scrape the sides. I took an ordinary fairly stout garden trowel, bent it at a 90Deg angle, found an old piece of scrap metal to use as a support bracket so it wouldn't unbend the 90deg from pulling or digging, welded it all together, a coat of black spray paint and...Voila, The "Dirt Digger"

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and several hard years later
picture.php

Good idea, but when I got started I had just moved and my entire shop of tools was in storage, so I went to the dollar store and bought one of these, and it's plastic so no scratching the target...

0145201_PE305086_S5.JPG

And it worked well here in the softer, sandier dirt that we have in these parts. I have since quit using it as I honed my skills, gotten better digging tools, and picked up a pair of gloves. Also, my skin is like leather from working with my hands all day at work so...

A soup ladle......really? A soup ladle! That would last about 2 minutes in the soil around here or I'd get so aggravated with it I'd pitch as far as I could throw...now if it works in super soft soil or play sand, more power to ya, I can appreciate not wanting to scrape up a target, leather hands or not, I've dug some sharp sheet metal pieces and glass the would cut through anything, be careful, sounds like your hands are how you make your living.

A soup ladle......really? A soup ladle! That would last about 2 minutes in the soil around here or I'd get so aggravated with it I'd pitch as far as I could throw...now if it works in super soft soil or play sand, more power to ya, I can appreciate not wanting to scrape up a target, leather hands or not, I've dug some sharp sheet metal pieces and glass the would cut through anything, be careful, sounds like your hands are how you make your living.

Yep, a soup ladle and you obviously didn't read my entire post... Soft sandy soil (NW Fl panhandle), when I started out but as my skills and tools improved, it has been retired. And yep, have always had jobs where I work with my hands, from my Military days, through being an installer and a service tech for an electronic security company (SONITROL) running my own business on the side while working for a woodworker supply company and now doing maintenance at my current job. I keep my Tetanus shots current and don't worry about little cuts and scrapes. If you saw all the scarring on my hands (even burn scarring) you'd understand.

But nobody wants to have to cut short a hunt to go get stitches... so I DO wear gloves for most of my digs when I'm dirt fishin' (except while filming, hard to operate the camera with gloves on).

Yep, a soup ladle and you obviously didn't read my entire post... Soft sandy soil (NW Fl panhandle), when I started out but as my skills and tools improved, it has been retired. And yep, have always had jobs where I work with my hands, from my Military days, through being an installer and a service tech for an electronic security company (SONITROL) running my own business on the side while working for a woodworker supply company and now doing maintenance at my current job. I keep my Tetanus shots current and don't worry about little cuts and scrapes. If you saw all the scarring on my hands (even burn scarring) you'd understand.

But nobody wants to have to cut short a hunt to go get stitches... so I DO wear gloves for most of my digs when I'm dirt fishin' (except while filming, hard to operate the camera with gloves on).

I read your entire post, and you mis-read any intent on my post, merely stating I couldn't use one as most people probably couldn't due to soil hardness, anything I further posted was mere banter or concern. All is good
Problem with written text, it can be taken wrong, no voice inflection, body language, facial expression, everything we as people use to communicate and convey intent can be lost on mere text.

I read your entire post, and you mis-read any intent on my post, merely stating I couldn't use one as most people probably couldn't due to soil hardness, anything I further posted was mere banter or concern. All is good
Problem with written text, it can be taken wrong, no voice inflection, body language, facial expression, everything we as people use to communicate and convey intent can be lost on mere text.

That's a fact! It helps if I look at these after I've gotten 3 or 4 cups of coffee onboard too! :laughing:

That's a fact! It helps if I look at these after I've gotten 3 or 4 cups of coffee onboard too! :laughing:

That's the one thing I miss with forums, the opportunity to actually meet and make new friends up close and personal. One of the reasons I don't have a facebook acct, tweeter or most any other social media tool, they can be useful, but also to many times they can be destructive.

Back
Top Bottom