King Philip's gold found, MDer retires

ahardy17

A friend just recently told me about someone he knows who hunt for over a decade for caches of money stolen by King Philip. King Philip supposedly robbed carriages, and buried gold and silver in the small town of Dighton, MA. The man who was looking for this treasure told his friends that they would know when he finally found one, because he was going to up and dissapper to Florida. In 2002, my friend was in his old's neck of the woods, and decided to stop by for a visit. He found a young couple living in the house. Later, the finder mailed pictures to some of his friends, because he probably knew they would not believe him. I saw a picture, and it looked like he found a sack with around 20 gold coins in it.

Only 20 gold coins? Seems a paltry sum to retire on unless you live in Vietnam. Especially if you're in living in Florida :lol:

This story sounded like a tall tale to me. There may have been more coins other than the ones shown, but I only saw the pictures. I have never met the guy. I do know that King Philip really did hide gold around MA...
:( I wish I could find a bag of gold :(

aHardy, I am originaly from New Bedford, I had an aunt and uncle who lived near Dighton Rock on the Taunton river. He was a salvager with a barge and metal detectors. They would locate
wrecks and take Huge props, shafts and keels for the metal.

I was a kid about 10 or so when he told me the Indians used to hide treasure around there. Only thing I know for sure is when they passed on, my cousin who was an only child became weathy. She is about 58 now and never worked a day. My father
said uncle Lenny never had a dime in any bank. Hmmmm. Maybe something to the tale.... :?:......Gil

That's an interesting story ahardy 17. But one story I do know is factual, is about a chinese man who use to commute in the early days about 40km from here, and hid his gold helta skelta under any rock enroute b/w towns. He did it over serveral years, and now I'm hoping to go exploring through the bush, and see if I can locate one of his caches. Who knows, might be a gold sovereign under one of them there rocks!!!
HH Angela :grin:

Well, I just talked to my friend Wayne yesterday, and he refreshed my memory on the story.

One of his co-worker's friends was the guy who was looking for the gold. King Philip and his warriors didn't like have colonists in America, so he robbed them and killed some, too. King Philip actually killed everyone in the town of rehobeth at one time. Then, colonial militia finally went after him, and he had to hide his treasure around the Dighton area. So the guy who supposedly found the gold had searched for it for years. He researched the gold, and where King Philip used to rob people. The next time Wayne's co-worker went to visit his old friend, he was gone.

I didn't see the pictures again, though. :( But Wayne told me it was more like 150 coins, I must have a horrible memory. :?:

Does this refer to Philip II of Spain, who died in 1598? Sounds like a tall tale - as we all know, photos of coins don't prove anything. Who knows?

Does this refer to Philip II of Spain, who died in 1598? Sounds like a tall tale - as we all know, photos of coins don't prove anything. Who knows?

I believe he his refering to the Indian Chief King Philip who in the late 1600's organized the tribes of the north/east and very nearly wiped out English colonization in the Americas.At one time he was poised for attack on Boston but thought better of it.If he could have gotten help from the Mohawk tribe he very well could have succeeded...

True story or not this is the stuff that keeps people looking for treasure and makes great reading on those long winters nights.

aHardy, I am originaly from New Bedford, I had an aunt and uncle who lived near Dighton Rock on the Taunton river. He was a salvager with a barge and metal detectors. They would locate
wrecks and take Huge props, shafts and keels for the metal.

I was a kid about 10 or so when he told me the Indians used to hide treasure around there. Only thing I know for sure is when they passed on, my cousin who was an only child became weathy. She is about 58 now and never worked a day. My father
said uncle Lenny never had a dime in any bank. Hmmmm. Maybe something to the tale.... :?:......Gil

Small world, I'm originally from NB also as well as grew up in Acushnet.
I'm now in Taunton and I've been researching King Philips whereabouts. Lots of history of him being in Taunton and Raynham too.
If I find anything good, I'll be sure to let ya all know before I retire (and by retiring I would only mean MD'ing full time) ;)

Hey, im new to Mding, just looking around on the forum and came across this story. I go to Mexico several times a year, am actually heading there in abt 3 weeks, and hope to do some cache hunting with a 2 box. Well about two years ago or so, there was a man that worked in the nearby town with an excavator digging into the cliffs near the road to expand the roadways and to remove loose rocks. Well one day as he was removing part of a 15-20ft cliff he found a chest full of gold buried about 4-6ft down, and that same day he disapeared and no one has seen him or heard from him. Pretty lucky if i may say so, hope i have some luck like his during my stay next month.

This is from a webpage so I dont want credit for writing this. I have the authors name below just a tid bit of the section.I live in Springfield and thought this was so cool.Its about springfield in october 1675. King Philips War.

In October, hostile Indians struck again with raids on the towns of Hatfield, Northampton and Springfield where 30 houses were burned. Attacking warriors now included members of the Agawam tribe. This tribe had been peaceful but became hostile after settlers took some of their children as hostages as a precautionary move against an attack. That only served only to enrage the Agawams and they extracted their revenge at the burning of Springfield.

By Michael Tougias

Also...There is a eatery in Sprinfield called the Fort/Student Prince. Well It stands on the same grounds as a fort built in 1660 to protect Springfield.
Wish I could detect there but its all big buildings and sidewalks.:no: I just find that amazing...Thanks Happy Hunting all!!!!

There's a lot of history written about King Philip, and his gold..... there's a lot of un-found Native treasures in Ma. and NH.... actually most of New England.... "IF" this guy found a bunch of gold coins and disappeared without telling anyone, my hat's off to him.... that's the way to do it.... find it... keep your mouth shut about it... so the state or federal governments can't take it away from you... and disappear....

IF I found enough... I'd even change my name....
Probably wouldn't even tell my wife what my new name was ! :lol: :lol: :spin: :lol: :lol:

There's a lot of history written about King Philip, and his gold..... there's a lot of un-found Native treasures in Ma. and NH.... actually most of New England.... "IF" this guy found a bunch of gold coins and disappeared without telling anyone, my hat's off to him.... that's the way to do it.... find it... keep your mouth shut about it... so the state or federal governments can't take it away from you... and disappear....

Probably wouldn't even tell my wife what my new name was ! :lol: :lol: :spin: :lol: :lol:

Amen to that!

Also...There is a eatery in Sprinfield called the Fort/Student Prince. Well It stands on the same grounds as a fort built in 1660 to protect Springfield.
Wish I could detect there but its all big buildings and sidewalks.:no: I just find that amazing...Thanks Happy Hunting all!!!!

Just dress up like a Spfld. DPW worker and bring a jackhammer with you:lol::lol: Steve

Yeah but..........

MAYBE HE DIDN'T DISAPPEAR ON HIS OWN ACCOUNT?? MAYBE SOMEBODY ELSE MADE HIM DISAPPEAR AND BURIED HIM 4-6 FEET UNDERGROUND AND TOOK OFF WITH HIS LOOT? :?::lol:
DAVE

Back
Top Bottom