Ravin R20 crossbow tags big buck

Nice looking buck, I need to figure out a way to mount a crossbow to the shaft of the ATPro. I do alot of swinging within walking distance of my house near a city water tower. Everytime I go up there in the evening there is at least 4 or 5 doe walking around and the occasional smaller buck. Not sure if they are just curious of me or the detector or what's going on with them but they will watch me for hours often getting within about 20-30 feet if I'm down cutting a plug. Would almost be too easy that way though, Guess I could try using my digger as a throwing knife but don't think it woudl be very effective and I'd probably lose it afer the fact. Heck I can barely find it when I set it down right next to me.

I have witnessed as well. I think the audio makes them curious.

It's a nice buck to be sure, so congratulations on that.

But.....to me 55yd shots defeat the whole point of bow season. Anyone can get within 55yds of a buck, but getting within traditional bow range (30yds or less) takes woodsmanship skills, which to me is what it's all about. There are few thrills greater than being within 15yds of a deer like that. I've shot them as close as 4yds, and that really gets your heart thumping.
To each their own.

He is a brute. I will spend next week in Ga hoping for a nice buck. The week of thanksgiving I will be in Wv hoping for a couple on nice doe.
I will most likely spend another week in Ga later.
Its nice to have friends who have land.

Lots of deer up here in Michigan..great big corn fed!..We dont need no steenking crossbows! The Auto insurance Companies will tell you! They say 1 out of 4 Michigan drivers will hit a deer here!...Theres even a separate category for big trophy deer killed! The bow Hunters have Pope & Young, the Rifle guys got Boone & Crockett, but up here, besides those two, we also have we have 'Car and Driver!' More deer are killed by C&D hunters than the other two combined!! Ottawa and Kent county are the deeriest hitting Counties in the State, and thats where I live! C&D hunter here!

The Wife killed a monster Michigan C&D trophy a few years ago! With my old '78 Jeep Wagoneer! She was running 60mph, at dusk, in a spitting rain, spinning 20" Goodyears, 87 octane fuel, Meatloaf on the 8 track....pushed the grill and radiator nearly into the back seat! That deer blew his lungs out his mouth and the rest of his innards out his backpassage! Looked like somebody squeezed a water balloon in the middle! Thats the kind of knock down punch an old Jeep Wag can deliver on a trophy deer! The Wife didnt even spill her coffee! Cant get that kind of down range performance with a Chevy Cruze!:laughing:

If I'm not mistaken, Forum Members JackNJill killed a C&D trophy over in Wisconsin last year? It think with a Monte Carlo?...Yeah, some folks up here like to go light tackle for the sport of it all, plus the deer in Wisconsin are a bit smaller than in Michigan...like the salmon...a good C&D deer hunter in Wisconsin driving anything bigger than a Monte Carlo is just showing off...:laughing:.

It's a nice buck to be sure, so congratulations on that.

But.....to me 55yd shots defeat the whole point of bow season. Anyone can get within 55yds of a buck, but getting within traditional bow range (30yds or less) takes woodsmanship skills, which to me is what it's all about. There are few thrills greater than being within 15yds of a deer like that. I've shot them as close as 4yds, and that really gets your heart thumping.
To each their own.

Well,
I hunt tree stands sparingly, afraid of falling out.
I smoke too.
I hunt in blinds as well as in the open on top of ground.
Some deer buck wise get a bit bigger than the one I took, but beggars can’t be too choosy.

Lots of deer up here in Michigan..great big corn fed!..We dont need no steenking crossbows! The Auto insurance Companies will tell you! They say 1 out of 4 Michigan drivers will hit a deer here!...Theres even a separate category for big trophy deer killed! The bow Hunters have Pope & Young, the Rifle guys got Boone & Crockett, but up here, besides those two, we also have we have 'Car and Driver!' More deer are killed by C&D hunters than the other two combined!! Ottawa and Kent county are the deeriest hitting Counties in the State, and thats where I live! C&D hunter here!

The Wife killed a monster Michigan C&D trophy a few years ago! With my old '78 Jeep Wagoneer! She was running 60mph, at dusk, in a spitting rain, spinning 20" Goodyears, 87 octane fuel, Meatloaf on the 8 track....pushed the grill and radiator nearly into the back seat! That deer blew his lungs out his mouth and the rest of his innards out his backpassage! Looked like somebody squeezed a water balloon in the middle! Thats the kind of knock down punch an old Jeep Wag can deliver on a trophy deer! The Wife didnt even spill her coffee! Cant get that kind of down range performance with a Chevy Cruze!:laughing:

If I'm not mistaken, Forum Members JackNJill killed a C&D trophy over in Wisconsin last year? It think with a Monte Carlo?...Yeah, some folks up here like to go light tackle for the sport of it all, plus the deer in Wisconsin are a bit smaller than in Michigan...like the salmon...a good C&D deer hunter in Wisconsin driving anything bigger than a Monte Carlo is just showing off...:laughing:.

Send me a car and driver buck that hits around 180 on the pope and young scale. Lol
I would love to hunt some in Michigan. Would be a blast. Might freeze to death though.

Well,
I hunt tree stands sparingly, afraid of falling out.
I smoke too.
I hunt in blinds as well as in the open on top of ground.
Some deer buck wise get a bit bigger than the one I took, but beggars can’t be too choosy.
I don't hunt out of trees anymore. Never did it much even when I was young. Most often I just pick my spot based on known travel routes and wind direction, and then I just sit on the ground...no blind at all, frequently in the same clothes I worked in all day. And I smoke too!

Playing the wind and BEING PERFECTLY STILL the deer walk right by within spitting distance. Even when I get busted they don't blast off. More often than not they walk up to me, stare intensely with their ears focused on me, and stomp their feet trying to get me to move so they can figure out what I am before moving off occasionally checking me over their shoulder. When they're 6ft away doing that you wonder why your heart pounding doesn't give you away because it's so loud. That's what I'm talking about. That's why I'm out there. If it was all just about a meat harvest, I could kill them in the yard out a window w/o ever leaving the house.

I remember when I moved to Colorado, I was amazed at how many deer were around and down near the roads. I actually pulled over one time and hit one of them with a snowball! However, come opening day you were very lucky to see one inside on 100 yards and the season was less than 1 week long.

Back
Top Bottom