ATP volume control, how to?

KAdiggs

Volume adjustment for ATP, anyone know how it’s done? I saw a video on YT how to do the mod to 250, but saw nothing for the ATP. Or my search skills are failing me.

And no, I dont wear headphones except a couple very rare occasions.

Something like this, but I'd rather not lose the water proof capability of the machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfAHzwHBvu4

As for headphones, if you’re always in a nice safe area that’s great. Personally I care about my situational awareness, and my safety is much more important than anything I might find.
I dont care about batteries.

Something like this, but I'd rather not lose the water proof capability of the machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfAHzwHBvu4

As for headphones, if you’re always in a nice safe area that’s great. Personally I care about my situational awareness, and my safety is much more important than anything I might find.
I dont care about batteries.

I didn't here what he used for the size of volume control. I would think 5k or 10k. Looks like he used a 1 turn very tight adjustment. I suggest more like a 10 turn unit. To keep the ATPro water proof is going to be the trick.

If your care is awareness and you don't plan to take it in the water. You could keep the volume control on the headphones, just put them around your neck. Situational awareness.

Thanks for the input on the volume control, I’m going to start looking for a waterproof controller. While I don’t exclusively hunt in the water, my detector does get wet, and I may someday decide to go out in a river or creek so water resistant is important. If everyone else wants to wear headphones that’s fine, I got no problem with that, there just aren’t for me. Except on a very very rare occasion.

Thanks for the input on the volume control, I’m going to start looking for a waterproof controller. While I don’t exclusively hunt in the water, my detector does get wet, and I may someday decide to go out in a river or creek so water resistant is important. If everyone else wants to wear headphones that’s fine, I got no problem with that, there just aren’t for me. Except on a very very rare occasion.

I hear what your saying about the headphones and I hate when I can't tell whats going on around me also. I wear them but only put one on my ear the other off to the side a bit that way I can still hear whats going on around me. I think it will be tough to add a volume control and keep it water proof to 10' considering you will have to open the md and then reseal it. Your warranty will be void for sure I assume. Maybe try one ear bud if you don't like the headphones. They are cheap too.

The fact that you said "situational awareness" sounds like you may have a military background, If so thanks for your service.

A modification like that would not only void any warranty but may also cause garrett to refuse doing any non-warranty repairs as well. I dont think there is any waterproof inline volume options either. What is the ultimate goal in having control over the volume ? If you dont use headphones you shouldnt need to control the volume. Also , you really kinda need full volume when not using headphones , if you could turn the volume down you would miss a lot of the subtle differences in the sounds.

If you dont use headphones you shouldnt need to control the volume.

So you wear headphones when listning to the radio in your car?

I find the volume to be to high when hunting alone in the woods, but in town I'd like it a little louder due to traffic at times. So to make it adjustable would suit me better.
Im not worried about what Garrett thinks or voiding the warranty, its almost up anyway.

So you wear headphones when listning to the radio in your car?

I find the volume to be to high when hunting alone in the woods, but in town I'd like it a little louder due to traffic at times. So to make it adjustable would suit me better.
Im not worried about what Garrett thinks or voiding the warranty, its almost up anyway.

Ok , I see. It would be interesting to see if someone could do the mod. If it cant be done one thing you could try is putting something over the built in speaker to muffle it a little when you dont want it to be so loud , then remove it when you need extra volume.

What about using the existing headphone connection to drive a small external amplified speaker with an integrated volume control. That would give you the best of both worlds.

You wouldn't be modifying the basic unit and could still control audio level with your ears open to your surroundings.

Just a thought,

Papa

I like that idea, I'll have to scrounge around work tonight and see if I can find some some old headphones that might work. Thanks guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

On the rare occasion when I feel the need, I put one headphone only half on my ear so I can hear ambient noise.
Headphones IMHO make identifying signals much easier.

IMHO make identifying signals much easier.

I’m sure most of you are right about making it easier to identify targets; however “I” will not be giving up my safety to hear them. It’s a personal choice; if everyone else wants headphones it’s all fine with me.

What about using the existing headphone connection to drive a small external amplified speaker with an integrated volume control. That would give you the best of both worlds.
You wouldn't be modifying the basic unit and could still control audio level with your ears open to your surroundings.
Just a thought,
Papa

That's the best idea yet.

Just a thought,

Papa

I was going to suggest the same thing. Then for convenience you could a rig up a little gismo to hold the speaker on your head and maybe pad the speaker for comfort. But then you'd have.................Headphones!

Back
Top Bottom