Hello from NW Arkansas

stursmad

Hey all. I am new to this forum, but have been detecting for 40 years.
I have not been detecting near as much since moving from Iowa to Arkansas 11 years ago. I seemed to have lost some interest, since the ground in this area is so rocky, and much tougher to retrieve targets from. I bought a Minelab Explorer XS in 2000, and that has been the only machine I've hunted with since then. It has served me well, as I have been able to find hundreds of old coins, and enjoyed many hours of fun hunting with it. Anyway, I'm wondering if the modern machines perform much or any better than my Explorer XS??? I would like to spend more time detecting again, but wonder if I should upgrade my machine or not. I am mainly searching for old coins when I go detecting. Also, if you live in the NW Arkansas area, and would like to go detecting sometime, just let me know. Thanks for any advice on whether I should upgrade to a newer/better machine.

Welcome from California .You've got good machine and it will still run with the pack . It sounds like it still functions well . A big factor is if the weight gets to you or not .I can no longer swing my Explorer for more than a couple of short hunts a week before it gets to me . A lot of Minelab guys have gone to the lighter Minelab Equinox .There are a lot of good , light , single frequency machines from other manufacturers out there too .
Best of luck and happy hunting to you .

Welcome from Springfield, Mo. I get into some rocky areas where a screwdriver and hammer work better than any digger.

Welcome from SE Missouri.

When the soil is rocky....I hit the water.
You should have some good old swimming holes in your area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can find. The soil in Iowa was ideal for retrieving targets, not so much in NW AR.

Welcome to the forum, from Mountain Home.

Rocks, screwdrivers, and hammers.
Sounds like a Metal-Head song gone bad.
Due to xxx health conditions, I keep my detecting
to easier areas, so not have to use those tools.
Parks, private properties, tot-lots, sandy/soft areas by water.

Back
Top Bottom