bottle hunting page and more

bugguy

Elite Member
just thought id post this for any one who bottle hunts or is interested in it , i met this guy joel today who is the moderator yard saleing today up in lebonon NH . page seems to be cool heres the link http://www.antiquebottlediggers.com/ basiclly same as here you sign up and they have forums to go into . enjoy

I've been bottle digging exactly 1 time, and enjoyed every minute of it. It's like doing archeology, removing one layer of soil at a time.

These guys are committed and love their hobby for sure.

For me, bottle digging is quickly becoming as fun as metal detecting. My bottle collection has rapidly expanded over the last year, between the dug bottles, a few I bought off eBay, and some really cool ones found at yard sales and flea markets. I'm going up to my buddy's house next week to finish digging the two dumps we started last year, and to check out a new one he found over the winter. All three sites are in the woods on his property, so we can really go to town digging.

I'll attach some pics of some bottles I've dug and scored at yard sales. This first one, a late 1800s whiskey, was found at a yard sale yesterday for $2!

Attachments

• Duff 2.jpg
    Duff 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 423
Here's some more we dug last year in one of the dumps we're going to finish next Saturday. A mid 1800s Mass medicine, a CT hutchinson style soda, and some early 1900s RI sodas or beers. You can see some 1950s Pepsi bottles in the background - we dug those too at another place.

Attachments

• WP White.JPG
    WP White.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 506
  • SO Richardson 1.jpg
    SO Richardson 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 497
  • Western Hotel.JPG
    Western Hotel.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 403
Here's the last two - a Boston barber bottle I got for $1 at a yard sale, and a nice 1800s RI medicine that I got cheap on eBay.

Another great site for bottle collectors and diggers is http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/ They are a great group, very friendly, knowledgable, and willing to share the expertise, much like this great forum! I post under the same name over there.

I'll take some pics of next weekends dig, and post them if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Noonan 1.jpg
    Noonan 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 499
  • Hunts Remedy 1.JPG
    Hunts Remedy 1.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 412
well im glad to see people are taking an interest in this thread , i am going digging for the first time monday . i guess we will see what the earth brings

Nice digging! Those pop bottles in the background are pretty cool, too. I'm a pop bottle hunter, but mainly hunt garage sales, flea markets and antique stores.

well went out today with my new friend joel digging . let me tell yah what , that was fun . just like detecting you just dont know what you will ind once the whole is dug . i dug about 65 to 70 bottles myself and got some cool keepers . this newbie took home 42 bottles and i just washed them and havent taken any pics . but ill get to it soon .

Very cool topic. I've been collecting bottles off and on for years. I grew up near the CTA/Metra line and the surrounding woods would always be littered with old bottles. I've found many Coca-Cola bottles embossed with the logo (very early) as well as later Coke and Pepsi (and beer!) bottles. I've never dug any because I wouldn't know where to look. I just pick them up as I walk the woods now. Also, I've begun looking through garage sales and flea markets. Wish me luck.

Joe

well had a great time digging monday these are some of my finds

Attachments

• bottles 003.JPG
    bottles 003.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 357
  • bottles 016.JPG
    bottles 016.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 347
  • watkins 002.JPG
    watkins 002.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 422
Nice digs Bugguy! I especially like the 2 amber whiskeys on the left. Is that first on a lady leg neck? Those are sweet!

Hmmmm....Bottles!!!

I am a newbie to this site, and bottles are my first choice. I have been collecting for a while now and probably have around 300+ which 90% of them are straight side cokes, cheros, bottling works, (to make it short sodas)etc... And I will say detecting is just as hard if not harder than digging. You mostly just end up in the right place at the right time to get the real treasures. Either way I enjoy them both equally. Those are good bottles in all of the photos, my opinion is the first is probably the best of them all, it's one I would definitly add to my shelf any day. I am always glad to see other people getting and being involved in bottle digging.

Attachments

• bottles 024.jpg
    bottles 024.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 329
thanks guys for you kind words and yes its my first lady leg . first everything really . but had a great time and yes the two on the left are wiskeys and the 2 large other are beer . "now those are some 40'S" one of tose i would fall over

bottle question

I live in Claremont, NH also. My husband found a bluish green bottle on our property that says "Sawyer Crystal blueing" it has a metal top that is rusted on. The top has holes in it like a salt shaker. Any ideas what it is or if it has value?

This bottle is what got us started in Metal Detecting. Have had the bottle 4 years and Metal Detecting 3 days.

I live in Claremont, NH also. My husband found a bluish green bottle on our property that says "Sawyer Crystal blueing" it has a metal top that is rusted on. The top has holes in it like a salt shaker. Any ideas what it is or if it has value?

This bottle is what got us started in Metal Detecting. Have had the bottle 4 years and Metal Detecting 3 days.

I'm pretty sure this bottle held tint. I have a few myself, I think they're worth a couple of bucks maybe. Certainly worth poking around where you found it though, there may be more stuff there!

edit: never mind the tint bit, I guess "blueing" was something different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(fabric)

Back
Top Bottom