Besides MD'ing does anybody gold pan?

Every summer I take my family to our claims here in Washington. We dredge, sluice, classify, pan and detect for nuggets. I prefer the Keene 14" green 3 stage gold pan with the riffles. I think they are around 9 or 10 dollars in price. Very easy to catch the gold and the green color is easy on the eyes, and easy to see the gold against. The blue ones are harder on your eyes, especially if there is bright sunlight. Classifiers are easily made from window screen up to 1/4 inch mesh screen. (I personally use 1/2 and 1/4 inch mesh) Go to your kitchen appliance store (wal mart,Fred Meyer, etc.) and pick up different mesh strainers - they work very well for classifying. Start off by panning some material in your back yard and drop in 5 or 6 small fishing sinkers. Once you can consistently pan off the material and end up with all of the sinkers , you're ready to try the streams for gold. Don't worry, it doesn't take long at all and you'll be panning with the best of 'em. A couple of hours of practice and you'll be panning like a pro! Check out you tube for a few videos if you need some visual instruction, and then go get dirty! Hope this helps.

HH,
Cors

My step father has the gold bug, he wants to get out there and join the fun on the San Garbriel river. Sluice, Classifiers, Pan... More gear to buy!

My first summer here in Colorado I did some gold panning up on the Arkansas River (It seems like half the state of Colorado had the same idea). Not easy work, the water was super cold and most of the gold I found was "flour" gold......Next summer I may invest in some serious equipment......

Dusty

check around and spend the extra 10 bucks(25 bucks total) and get the garrett panning kit, comes with a 10" pan, 7" pan, classifier, snuffer bottle and a couple vials to hold your gold. also comes with a beginners book

I have tried a few times, New York is not known for Gold deposits...May try Vermont or NH if I can get up there, it is tedious and backbreaking work but so is MDing sometimes....Curt:grin:

Panning

I went to the campground across from sutters mill and panned,yup I found some very tiny gold flakes! It was my first time. Fun but hard work.Detecting for gold would be easier.:yes:

I've done quite a bit. It's great fun, but the thing the guidebooks fail to mention is that nearly all the good waterways are claimed by someone else. There are a few public areas, though. Do your research.

Here's a pic of a small section of one of my gold claims - beautiful area for the family to go and relax, get some gold, and have some quality time together. Last summer I started working up behind that huge boulder and this summer will open up the entire area behind it. Started getting into some bigger "pickers" there last summer. Can't wait to see what I find this summer! Also a pic of what little bit of gold we have found so far - about 6 weekends of dredging. Lots of gold on the claims - I just have to learn how to retrieve it. It's a slow process, but I'm learning. Luckily have some old timers on the river that help with "reading the river" so hopefully the brag box will get filled up quite a bit more this summer. The wife is going to hit the bedrock with the X-Terra 70 this summer too. Big nuggets here we come! :thumbsup: Many hours of panning, but it is so much fun I wouldn't have it any other way!

HH,
Cors

Attachments

• Claim 2.JPG
    Claim 2.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Brag Box 2010.JPG
    Brag Box 2010.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Ooops, wrong picture :lol: Here's the one with the boulder... It's interesting - you can see the high water line about a third of the way up the boulder. The water really gets deep and runs fast in the winter during the flood stage! Brings lots of gold in from the area of the mine upstream.

Attachments

• Claim 3.JPG
    Claim 3.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,004
Back
Top Bottom