Wader hunting tips

Detectingman

Put on the muck boots and got in the water (fresh water lake) for the first time today. It was alot more challenging to say the least but luckily my son was there to help. He'd feed me the scoop or Sampson as neeeded. Digging targets was alot more difficult than expected. After 3 hours found around 25 sinkers (gotta dig em might be a goodie). Just wondering if any fellas could offer some tips about waist to knee high water digging. Also, should note that my machine isn't waterproof (Delta 4000) but looking to get a Simplex when they get to the US. Also got some chest waders in the mail today so looking to get crazy here soon.:cool3:

Last edited:
"Looking to get crazy soon" ? Man....you are already there....

Get a long handle sand/water scoop.
Stainless Steel is the best, Aluminum is the lightest, size of bucket is up to you. 5 or 6" is fine for fresh water for me. 1/2" holes for the back half and smaller holes on the front will be a help for the smaller sinkers ;). A foot rest (Do NOT use a wire mesh bucket if you plan to push on it with your foot while digging.

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your new (too come) scoop!

Get yourself a cutting tool, or 2 and always have them in easy reach of both hands. You go under in chest waders, you might not come up easily without cutting the straps. There's nothing in that water worth your life, so do it safely.

Get yourself a cutting tool, or 2 and always have them in easy reach of both hands. You go under in chest waders, you might not come up easily without cutting the straps. There's nothing in that water worth your life, so do it safely.

I never thought of that hazard but seems good advice to those using waders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With chest waders be sure to wear a belt, and keep it sinched at your chest too..

That way under water or in current they can't act like a parachute and drag...

<°)))>{

"Looking to get crazy soon" ? Man....you are already there....

Haha, perhaps but never officially labelled as so :shock:

Get a long handle sand/water scoop.
Stainless Steel is the best, Aluminum is the lightest, size of bucket is up to you. 5 or 6" is fine for fresh water for me. 1/2" holes for the back half and smaller holes on the front will be a help for the smaller sinkers ;). A foot rest (Do NOT use a wire mesh bucket if you plan to push on it with your foot while digging.

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your new (too come) scoop!

Right on and a great tip there. Picked up a little 2 foot scoop, gonna hang onto it, but gonna need a longer one. And yeah those sinkers get ya, sound just like gold :roll:

Ended up Googling about the hazards, never realized how dangerous waders can be. Thanks for the tip and hopefully anyone else thinking about getting in the water sees this thread.

I never thought of that hazard but seems good advice to those using waders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, same here. Anytime water is involved trouble can happen, guess that's a given.

With chest waders be sure to wear a belt, and keep it sinched at your chest too..

That way under water or in current they can't act like a parachute and drag...

<°)))>{

Good advice thanks. Yeah gonna research the safety aspects more, seems like maybe I'll just stick in the kiddie pool for the time being :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom