Advice on my own detector

westside bengal

Hi all,

My detector experience has been with my wife's Silver uMax that she has had for a couple of years or so. Now that I am retired and have more time I want buy my own machine. The uMax has been great for her as it's lightweight and when we were shopping she decided she was going to be more of a beep and dig person.

I on the other hand like the technology advances but I realize a lot of stuff has been found with older machines and still being found. I do realize also I need a lightweight but still well built machine and will err on the side of well built.

Our hunting consists of parks and old home sites for coins and relics, maybe gold jewelry but never at the beach or true prospecting.

Here in Indiana I would say is average but can go in either direction but not really severe.

I have some retirement gift money to use and I am wanting to keep it around $750 max. I will say that I have looked at the Nox 600/800 and with the 15% military discount the Nox 800 comes in a little over the $750 max.

I have thought about the multi Kruzer...I do not know what kind of discount is usually available on other brands.

What I worry about is this. I know multi-freq is all the rage right now but I also want to learn to be a better detectorist too. Of course I want to find a lot of stuff but at the same time I don't want a robot where I am not learning either, at least at this point of time. Am I making myself clear?

So if I do not go the Nox route what would be some machines I should look at?

Westside.

The Nox is a great machine, but whatever you get, make sure you budget for a pinpointer. A decent one will cost you about 125. You don't want to hunt without one IMO

The Nox is a great machine, but whatever you get, make sure you budget for a pinpointer. A decent one will cost you about 125. You don't want to hunt without one IMO

This is a valuable point! The pinpointer is a must in your quest to find as many targets as possible

Also, the Nox is great but IMO parks and tot lots I prefer my Nokta VLFs. Why? Because they talk to me better in trashy areas. But for any beach detecting or water or mineralized ground the NOX is off the charts. So how you intend to hunt is important in your decision.

I think a kruzer would be an excellent machine for you. The Nox also a very good choice but a likely longer learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom