Ok, first hunt and impressions of the Nox 800

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Disclaimer, I swung an excal II for years until is became beyond my ability to repair myself and needed a new water machine. I am not hyping the nox, just trying to share my experience with it and will continue to share what i like and what i do not like about it...
Today was the first time since I got the nox 800 that i have been able to hit the water, it has been in the dirt and seems to work fine.
First, very light machine, my shoulder was fine after a 2.5 hour hunt. Very stable also, put it at 20 sensitivity and i ran GB in tracking and it was not chattery at all in our out of the salt water. We ended up spending most of the time in the wet sand in the wash area.
Signals, this is going to take some getting used to, but figured out that a solid 14 tends to be a pulltab for me in my conditions. Coins hit hard and even the tiny silver pendants i found hit hard even though they are tiny. Silver bracelet gave a hard signal as expected. The rings gave a reasonable repeatable signal even though none are honkers, only one gold there but hey, first gold on the nox! Hard to say if it is as deep as my old excal would have been or not, but it was respectable depth for the size of the targets.
Target volume is very different than the excal obviously, and no proportional audio kind of messed with me a bit. I was used to targets getting louder and louder as you dig them, this they sound about the same a foot under the wet sand or right on the surface.
It is going to take some getting used to as any new machine would, but overall I am very happy with the Nox...
HH all!

Attachments

• 20190315_121505.jpg
    20190315_121505.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 563
  • 20190315_121519.jpg
    20190315_121519.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 478
  • 20190315_121552.jpg
    20190315_121552.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 20190315_121541.jpg
    20190315_121541.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 462
Nice digs Zee !! You are correct that the Nox will take some getting used to. Much like you, I swung the Excal for years prior to the Nox. However, the more time you have on the Nox, the more you will love it.

Last edited:
Disclaimer, I swung an excal II for years until is became beyond my ability to repair myself and needed a new water machine. I am not hyping the nox, just trying to share my experience with it and will continue to share what i like and what i do not like about it...

Today was the first time since I got the nox 800 that i have been able to hit the water, it has been in the dirt and seems to work fine.

First, very light machine, my shoulder was fine after a 2.5 hour hunt. Very stable also, put it at 20 sensitivity and i ran GB in tracking and it was not chattery at all in our out of the salt water. We ended up spending most of the time in the wet sand in the wash area.

Signals, this is going to take some getting used to, but figured out that a solid 14 tends to be a pulltab for me in my conditions. Coins hit hard and even the tiny silver pendants i found hit hard even though they are tiny. Silver bracelet gave a hard signal as expected. The rings gave a reasonable repeatable signal even though none are honkers, only one gold there but hey, first gold on the nox! Hard to say if it is as deep as my old excal would have been or not, but it was respectable depth for the size of the targets.

Target volume is very different than the excal obviously, and no proportional audio kind of messed with me a bit. I was used to targets getting louder and louder as you dig them, this they sound about the same a foot under the wet sand or right on the surface.

It is going to take some getting used to as any new machine would, but overall I am very happy with the Nox...

HH all!

That's a great comparison. I sold my beloved AT PRO and went to the"dark side" as Garrett people say. My new NOX 600 should be way better at the beach which is what I was hoping for. If you learn any tricks of how to detect bottle caps before digging them, please post! Sounds like you had a really good day detecting.
HH Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For bottlecaps when you suspect it may be one hit the horseshoe button on the controls for all metal, the jumpy signal will now show negative numbers as well mixed in the with jumpy signal. Learned that after digging more than a few...

Congrats on an awesome first hunt with the Nox Zee! Your first impressions of the machine are similar to mine- pretty accurate in identifying coins (loves U.S. quarters and nickels), not as deep as my other detectors (Excal and Dual Field) and tones take some getting used to. It's a detector that allows you to cherry pick coins and not wear you out swinging it or digging a lot of iron trash.
It's a fun detector to hunt with in the right conditions and forum member Romy has done great with his and the larger coil. Right now I only use it about 10% of the time but that may change if I get the waterproof headphones and different coil. :yes:

Looks like it is doing what you hoped it to... Like any machine just need time with use to see all of it's quirks, features and even weaknesses...

You pulled a gold always a good thing... But even the junk targets with a new machine, gives you a good idea of what it can do...

Hope it gives you as many years as your old machine did...

Adda boy Z,,,,,great first hunt,,,,,your next hunt will be your five ring standard,,,,:laughing:,,,,Someday I will add one to my collection,,,,,glad you are happy with it,,,,,many people have gotten on board with them and like them,,,not heard many dislike the machine at all,,,,,,learning curve is expected and if I hunted every day like I used to I would no doubt get one,,,,From what I understand, the wet sand it kills it,,,,,,I am not convinced its the best water machine but it seems to find a lot of little gold,,,,look forward to more reporting,,,GL HH

You can't argue with success. The Equinox does not need the TLC like Excals.

:dingding: Congrats on scoring the yellow on the 1st water hunt with it! I am still feel like I'm learning mine - hell I still feel like I'm learning my Excal! So far, I prefer the Excal in deeper water and the 'Nox on the wet sand. Definitely prefer it in the wet sand.

Last edited:
Hmm...4 rings, all quite light. That's promising.
12" same tone/volume vs. at the surface. Deeper than I thought.
Sensitive to small stuff...small chains add up!
Z was the Nox chatty in the wash or steady?

Nice hunt brother. Thanks for the review.

For bottlecaps when you suspect it may be one hit the horseshoe button on the controls for all metal, the jumpy signal will now show negative numbers as well mixed in the with jumpy signal. Learned that after digging more than a few...

For me the tale tell sign of bottle caps is to hit the freq button to 10.. if the number jumps up from say 12-13 all the way to 20+ then it is a cap for sure 100% of the time.. Just don't forget to go back to multi.

Aquaman, surprisingly not chatty! I was running sens at 20 out of 25 and it was stable in waist deep water and in the wash no problem. Also didn't seem to get chatty when waves pass by like my excal did sometimes.

Mine came in yesterday and apparently I have a bunch of gold and jewelry under the hardwood floors in my home - maybe I should read the instructions....

That's an awesome tip. I'll have to try that tomorrow. It makes perfect sense

Back
Top Bottom