Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 03-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

Default Diamond tester

Since this is the year for me to find gold, I figured I'd better be prepared for the diamonds that go along with that

I was thinking of starting with something like this:

link

And then for a acid testing kit this one:

link2

Any thoughts on those?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 AM
Supporter

If the diamond tester says itís not a diamond them itís not but it canít tell you if it a diamond. There are stones that it canít Identify as not being a diamond.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 AM
Supporter

I have a diamond tester similar to that, also bought from Amazon. It's accurately identified the diamonds that I've found and I've tested it on friends' known CZ or crystals. As long as you calibrate it accurately, it is an inexpensive tool to have on hand.

I also have an acid kit like the one in your link. I think that the silver acid in it was old when I got it, because it doesn't react the way it should on known silver test scratches.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
If the diamond tester says itís not a diamond them itís not but it canít tell you if it a diamond. There are stones that it canít Identify as not being a diamond.
All the hand held, electronic diamond testers, depend of the heat transfer properties of diamond. In this regard, it can differentiate between a real diamond and a CZ, but it can't differentiate between a diamond and a moissanite gem, because moissanite has the same heat transfer characteristics of a real diamond. Fortunately, moissanite gems are not too common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

Thanks all. I think I'll go with those two items. They should serve my purposes for this year at least.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

I found one of those moissanite rings just before daylight one morning a few minutes after low tide. Took it to a jeweler and she said it was a very nice diamond. Later I had another jeweler look at it and he did a lot of studying and testing and said it is moissanite.

I then took it to a GIA trained gemologist and she took one look and said moissanite. There went my dreams of riches.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
I found one of those moissanite rings just before daylight one morning a few minutes after low tide. Took it to a jeweler and she said it was a very nice diamond. Later I had another jeweler look at it and he did a lot of studying and testing and said it is moissanite.

I then took it to a GIA trained gemologist and she took one look and said moissanite. There went my dreams of riches.
I'd be tempted to sell it to the first jeweler

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

They make testers for moissanite too. We had to get one for the pawn shop where i was working.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM

You really need to have both testers to be absolutely sure the diamond is real unless there is a tester that combines the two test.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Charly-in-CT-RI View post
You really need to have both testers to be absolutely sure the diamond is real unless there is a tester that combines the two test.
Well, I'm mainly just trying to avoid CZs...the one I posted I think will at least give me an idea

The big question is what acid test kit to get. I HATE paying for shipping and Amazon doesn't have any with Prime

Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

You can get most items from Amazon with free shipping. You just have to wait a while.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
Well, I'm mainly just trying to avoid CZs...the one I posted I think will at least give me an idea

The big question is what acid test kit to get. I HATE paying for shipping and Amazon doesn't have any with Prime
The last two acid test I bought were from the Bay. I don't know if they were a deal or not.