Hi Everyone! Advice needed...

All Clad

Hello everyone! I appreciate any help you can offer as my wife and I are in the market for a new detector. We formerly used the Garrett Ace 250. We got it around the time it came out, and we think it was a pretty good entry level machine as it was our first - but we've outgrown it and are looking for better performance.

To better assist, allow me to provide you an idea of what kind of hunting we do.

We treasure hunt the following places:

85% Beach (Florida West Coast)
10% Parks
5% Other

Regarding the beach...it has been 100% dry sand because the ACE could not handle wet sand, let alone any water. With the tides and whatnot, a sizeable area was off limits due to wet sand.

We think that with a better beach machine, we would probably be 40% dry sand, 40% wet sand, and 20% in the water probably up to the knee or so.

As far as parks, these are usually kiddie parks mostly that sort of thing. Fairly high trash areas.

Did a lot of research online, and we are strongly leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800. My question revolves around whether or not it might be overkill.

I like the idea of faster recovery time, more customization and such. However, I don't know of what value that along with it's other enhancements over the 600 would translate to a practical advantage or benefit on the beach?

To further that - we already have low-latency Bluetooth headphones - so no real need for the WM08 or ML80 audio options included with the 800. I'd probably sell them if we go with the 800.

Would I be well served by the 600 for primarily beach hunting with an occasional trashy park hunt? Selling off the audio accessories of the 800 makes it almost a wash, but if in performance terms there's no difference then I'd rather save the hassle.

Lastly, is there any other detectors in the $650 - $900max range that I should be considering?

Sorry for the long post, but in my experience in forums it's usually best to fully explain what we need/want to get the best advice.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum.
My suggestion is the Equinox 800 for the added value (ROI) should you later decide to sell it.
I think the Equinox will be perfect for where you hunt.
Best of luck!

I agree with Beachhunter...The 800 would not be overkill at all for where you are and for what you are doing...The good thing about that strategy...You can always 'dummy it down' to hunt for fresh clad and whatnot...but still have plenty of High Hp available should the situation merit...

I was told to get a 600 if I wasn’t going to look for gold. Calabash has a great YouTube video showing recovery speed on the 600 vs 800. Both will get the job done.

Get the 800

Main reason besides adjustability is that the 800 will hold its resale value much better than the 600. Equinox is one of the most popular and desirable detectors out there. You’ll never regret the purchase.

I'll probably keep this unit for a long time, so not sure how resale value will work out - especially since I'm likely to sell off the audio accessories as I just don't plan to use those. Either way a 800 should bring back more than a 600.

The advice seems solid - better to have and not need than need and not have. I think I can make use of the quick custom mode button.

For the beach a huge factor is stability. Having come from an ACE, I first researched the AT series...but then ran into threads where the overwhelming consensus seems to be that the NOX dominates it. Especially on the beach. The only question was 600 vs 800.

I'll go with the 800.

Next question is - where to buy it from? I don't want to buy from Amazon. I'd prefer a detector store, like one of the sponsors. It looks like Minelab has MAP pricing and it's $899 everywhere you look without exception. Is anyone offering lower non-advertised prices?

Next question is - where to buy it from? I don't want to buy from Amazon. I'd prefer a detector store, like one of the sponsors. It looks like Minelab has MAP pricing and it's $899 everywhere you look without exception. Is anyone offering lower non-advertised prices?

Call some of the sponsors and see what price they have. You can get it for less than $899.

definitely call the sponsors. Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is where I got mine and I was very pleased with the deal I got.

Can't go wrong with either the Equinox 600 or 800. Best bang-for-the-buck on the market right now. Good luck with your purchase.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks. I went with the Nox 800. Received it a week ago and been out with it 3 times already. Incredible machine. Very impressed, especially coming from an ACE 250. Like going from a Kia to a Ferrari. This thing is amazing on the beach. So stable, precise and deep.

Big shout out to Bart at Big Boys, a sponsor on this forum. Top notch in every way. Do not hesitate to buy from him!

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks. I went with the Nox 800. Received it a week ago and been out with it 3 times already. Incredible machine. Very impressed, especially coming from an ACE 250. Like going from a Kia to a Ferrari. This thing is amazing on the beach. So stable, precise and deep.

Big shout out to Bart at Big Boys, a sponsor on this forum. Top notch in every way. Do not hesitate to buy from him!

:fmdfwelcome: I'm happy to hear that you & your wife are having success with your new machine! Thanks for joining FMDF. :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom