• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great time "Treasure Hunting"!!!

wvdave107

Elite Member
Forgive me if this post is a bit long. Just thought I'd share with like minded folks...

When I first started detecting, July of last year, my neighbor's son was mesmerized by my AT Pro. He's 6. He would tag along with me on occasion when I'd hit the woods up from the neighborhood and get crazy excited when I'd come across a target. It didn't matter what it was, an old shell casing, pop can, pull tab...He was "Treasure Hunting" and didn't care what we found. It was all treasure to him.

They moved to a bigger place with a bigger yard at the beginning of December, but we still keep in contact with his mom and dad. His mom contacted me just before Christmas and told me the first thing he asked for Christmas was a metal detector. They got him a Bounty Hunter TK4 and part of the gift was I would come and Treasure Hunt with him when the weather warmed a bit.

Today, we went to visit them at their new place. Before I could get out of the truck he was ready to go...LOL We got the Bounty Hunter set up and off we went. Admittedly, it is a tad big for him, but he was tickled to death to have his own detector.He and I dug all sorts of "treasure" in their yard. Beer cans, pop cans, rusty nails, and an assortment of other metal junk. To him it was all treasure.

After an hour or so he set out by himself with his Bounty Hunter and my Carrot and dug his own "Treasure". He did remarkably well to be 6 years old. He was so excited to find and dig things on his own. It really made me feel great to see him having so much fun. Below is a picture he made for me this past fall. I keep it on my fridge. His mom told me it was of he and I looking for buried treasure...LOL

Attachments

• Mr. Jake's pic.JPG
    Mr. Jake's pic.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 195
Very nice story! I'm one of those like minded folks....I've got a 10 yr old neighbor girl that wanted a MD for Christmas because she saw me out in the yard with mine. She got a Garrot 250. We went out today for the second time. Like you say, she's happy with anything dug. Doesn't mind getting her hands dirty either.

She takes good care of her MD and said how she's going to clean it before she goes to bed and will never leave it outside, like she really values it. Wish I could find a spot for her that I've not already hunted out. We did find a 1944 wheatie today though.

Way To Go

Forgive me if this post is a bit long. Just thought I'd share with like minded folks...

When I first started detecting, July of last year, my neighbor's son was mesmerized by my AT Pro. He's 6. He would tag along with me on occasion when I'd hit the woods up from the neighborhood and get crazy excited when I'd come across a target. It didn't matter what it was, an old shell casing, pop can, pull tab...He was "Treasure Hunting" and didn't care what we found. It was all treasure to him.

They moved to a bigger place with a bigger yard at the beginning of December, but we still keep in contact with his mom and dad. His mom contacted me just before Christmas and told me the first thing he asked for Christmas was a metal detector. They got him a Bounty Hunter TK4 and part of the gift was I would come and Treasure Hunt with him when the weather warmed a bit.

Today, we went to visit them at their new place. Before I could get out of the truck he was ready to go...LOL We got the Bounty Hunter set up and off we went. Admittedly, it is a tad big for him, but he was tickled to death to have his own detector.He and I dug all sorts of "treasure" in their yard. Beer cans, pop cans, rusty nails, and an assortment of other metal junk. To him it was all treasure.

After an hour or so he set out by himself with his Bounty Hunter and my Carrot and dug his own "Treasure". He did remarkably well to be 6 years old. He was so excited to find and dig things on his own. It really made me feel great to see him having so much fun. Below is a picture he made for me this past fall. I keep it on my fridge. His mom told me it was of he and I looking for buried treasure...LOL

You made this little guys day - that is cool. Paying it forward - our society needs more of this. Also getting him started early in the hobby.

Hope your W VA ball team wins tonight.

That's great. Any time you can put that kind of interest in a kid is pure gold. That detector is way better for him than a smart phone. Well done. Thanls for sharing this awesome story.

Beautiful! You set his feet on a firm path, and even when he is old, he will not depart from it...Your friendship and encouraging his interest in the wonderments of the Out Doors will certainly enhance and may even save his life...Really cool post Dave!

Beautiful! You set his feet on a firm path, and even when he is old, he will not depart from it...Your friendship and encouraging his interest in the wonderments of the Out Doors will certainly enhance and may even save his life...Really cool post Dave!

His dad is an avid outdoorsman. Has had him hunting and fishing since he could walk...LOL. Got his first deer back in October during bow season. Hopefully, detecting will keep him involved. He loves being outdoors and especially loves digging holes...:laughing:

That's the innocence of youth. I think that's why all us old farts are attracted to MD'ng.

We're trying to recapture that fun we had as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom