Nox 600 depth gauge?

BC Buck

When detecting coins i can figure about 1/4 the depth the Nox is showing. Have any of you experienced the same thing.

Funny thing I find it off too but I am still new to the MD and I am using the big coil on it. I am finding old coins a foot down and quarters deeper. I mostly beach metal detect.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

This is definitely one downside of the equinox

It's a good detector don't get me wrong but even the dealer I bought mine from said depth indicator is not very accurate on them. I have 2 older detectors from other companies and the equinox is easily the worst at that.

The depth gauge is calibrated for coin sized objects and depending on soil conditions it is 2 to 2.5" per depth wedge.

If you have your coil over a coin sized object that is roughly flat in good dirt it is pretty accurate unless the coin is right on the surface.

If you have your coil over an object that is bigger or much bigger than a coin it will indicate depth of the object as shallower than it really is.

If you have your coil over an object that is smaller or much smaller than a coin it will indicate depth of the object as much deeper than it really is.

Just about every detector has its depth gauge calibrated this way. Some are more exact as in show you in half inches or centimeters.

Jeff

I trust the crispness of the tones, then look at the depth bars next. You can tell the size and check the depth with coil raising to watch the bar depth for changes. It takes skills.

I've rarely looked at the depth gauge on the Xterra 705 and I doubt I'll use it on the new machine a Nox 600. I have only played a few minutes outside learning settings a sweeping silver and clad coins I threw down. I did dig one target a rusty bottle cap ( twistoff) at only one inch. The gauge read 4 inches. Too shallow.

I have so many hours on the Equinox that I do things almost subconsciously to determine target size and depth. Experience will clear up a lot of issues concerning things like the compressed V.I.D. and perceived target size, and depth gauge issues.

Not that I am still not fooled occasionally by small highly conductive round targets and the reading on the depth gauge or really large deep objects that sound coin like in tone. Everyone gets fooled no matter what machine they use or how long they have been running it, but I think most people with a lot of hours on a machine will not get fooled nearly as much as low hour users.

I’ve been using the nox for two years and I am not impressed at all with the depth gauge. Yes, i agree that you have to get right over the target to get a proper reading but i have found that the first four marks only account for up to 5 inches, not 10. As I am predominantly looking for silver I rarely dig anything that does not peg out the depth gauge at five marks. Even at that mark the depth of the coin may only be 6 inches. The response of the pin pointer is a better gauge, the softer the deeper.

Back
Top Bottom