We did it !!!! .....ordered a Toyota 2020 Prius Prime XLE

GKL you’ve got soul! Thought only my bro did!

Yep, it's a 2015 Soul+ with the 2.0 engine, we paid it off recently and will keep it as an extra car even after we get the Prius Prime XLE.

We researched the Kia Soul before buying one in 2015 and it had pretty good reviews and has indeed been a very dependable car, as such we plan to keep it even though it might not get a lot of use with us being able to drive in all-electric mode in our small town with the Prime. The Kia will come in handy the very occasional times when my wife and I need to go two different locations at the same time though.

The white van is 1999 Chevy Astro van we bought new in 1999, it's got some years on it but is holding up okay, we keep it for times we need to haul something large, like an appliance or plywood and lumber from Lowes or stuff to the junk place.

It's been about 4 months, is that car coming soon?
Now I want to hear your reviews:D

We are still waiting, thinking it shouldn't be too much longer, but we are glad it took that long as that time allowed us to pay off a bill as well as get a much larger down payment together.

His Majesty wondered since the start of the CV if He would hear from anyone who would find a good deal on a new vehicle, what with the 0 finance cost, no down, and some of our dealers are giving 6 months before the 1st payment is due. KT prays you got a great deal! :D:D

His Majesty wondered since the start of the CV if He would hear from anyone who would find a good deal on a new vehicle, what with the 0 finance cost, no down, and some of our dealers are giving 6 months before the 1st payment is due. KT prays you got a great deal! :D:D

Thanks KT ! …..for the car we wanted we had to do a factory order as some regions of the country rarely stock plug-in hybrids like some other regions do.

We won't know what finance rate we'll get till the car arrives and we see what the rates are at that time, but since we are going to put a really good down payment on it it won't take as long to get it paid off.

Right before the CV I bought this 2020 Silverado. I’d been shopping and found nothing below $45k, loaded trucks. Chevy came out with this 4x4 custom @ 310 hp, not loaded but not bare bones. $31k.

Attachments

• 76B9D7C9-1EA4-430E-A909-F5EB41327DA3.jpeg
    76B9D7C9-1EA4-430E-A909-F5EB41327DA3.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 8841DEF1-6D60-4524-ADED-DD2EC5C71292.jpeg
    8841DEF1-6D60-4524-ADED-DD2EC5C71292.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 177
Right before the CV I bought this 2020 Silverado. I’d been shopping and found nothing below $45k, loaded trucks. Chevy came out with this 4x4 custom @ 310 hp, not loaded but not bare bones. $31k.

Nice looking truck ! …..but I hope that white paint is not too hard to keep clean looking, with the pollen we occasionally get around here certain times of the year that white would look like yellow some days :lol:

It's something how the trim level of the same model can sometimes make a big difference in the cost.

The Prius Prime comes in 3 trim levels, the LE, XLE, and Limited.

As far as the Toyota web site MSRP prices, the difference between the LE and the XLE is only $1900, but the difference between the XLE and the Limited is $4000.

The XLE had features we really wanted that the LE didn't have and we felt it was worth the extra $1900, but the added features the Limited had didn't interest us enough to add another $4000 so we ordered the XLE.

That Prius you're getting, that's the berries! Looks great, plus the terrific gas savings. I enjoy trying to squeeze good gas mileage out of my Toyota Camry. I try to never accelerate or brake hard, coast up to traffic lights if possible, coast down hills and drive 50 if nobody is following. Sometimes get 41 mpg.

Congrats!

That Prius you're getting, that's the berries! Looks great, plus the terrific gas savings. I enjoy trying to squeeze good gas mileage out of my Toyota Camry. I try to never accelerate or brake hard, coast up to traffic lights if possible, coast down hills and drive 50 if nobody is following. Sometimes get 41 mpg.

Congrats!

Thanks Penny, hey, your 41mpg is not bad for a regular car !

The part we really like about the plug-in Prius Prime is the 25 miles you can go on electric only without using any gas (some reviews I have read said they got more, something like about 30-35 miles, likely depends on driving conditions and temperature, I'm think the 25 is the least you should count on).

My wife and I live in a small town and rarely travel to the closest city (about 25 miles away) so as far as our local travel we should be able to stay on the "electric only" mode as it is unlikely most days that our local travel would exceed 25 miles in a day and we plug it in and recharge it at home.

Congrats on the new ride. My aunt and brother own Prius(s) and other bro has a Kia? hybrid. Over all none of them will save any $ with the better fuel economy compared to my USED 4cyl but they're happy and THAT'S what counts.

..... I enjoy trying to squeeze good gas mileage out of my Toyota Camry. I try to never accelerate or brake hard, coast up to traffic lights if possible, coast down hills and drive 50 if nobody is following. Sometimes get 41 mpg.

Congrats!

Yup, that's the way to do it and speeding doesn't save you much time anyways.

Congrats on the new ride. My aunt and brother own Prius(s) and other bro has a Kia? hybrid. Over all none of them will save any $ with the better fuel economy compared to my USED 4cyl but they're happy and THAT'S what counts.

Yup, that's the way to do it and speeding doesn't save you much time anyways.

Good point about speeding not saving a lot of time, unless someone is going extremely over the speed limit (and likely to get stopped) they might save less than 5 minutes, just not worth endangering others and yourself.

Hey, I'm sure we'll get better mileage when we are in the all-electric mode :lol: (true, but just joking :lol:)

Toyota has an online calculator where you can enter your commute and figure your savings with a Prime over a regular car -

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/calculator/

Interesting !

Toyota has an online calculator where you can enter your commute and figure your savings with a Prime over a regular car -
Interesting !

I don't need their calculator. I had business where I drove 60-80k a year so I had to "do the numbers- fuel, deprecation, tires, oil changes, interest or lost return on investment $ etc. My brothers bought hybrids for great mpg but only drives 5-10k a year. They're hybrids get 50 mpg compared to my 32 so figuring 10k miles/yr with fuel at say $2.29/g they only save maybe around $250/yr. Your situation may be different but they won't make up the difference in purchase cost.

I don't need their calculator. I had business where I drove 60-80k a year so I had to "do the numbers- fuel, deprecation, tires, oil changes, interest or lost return on investment $ etc. My brothers bought hybrids for great mpg but only drives 5-10k a year. They're hybrids get 50 mpg compared to my 32 so figuring 10k miles/yr with fuel at say $2.29/g they only save maybe around $250/yr. Your situation may be different but they won't make up the difference in purchase cost.

I understand what you're saying, more use = more savings.

Last year my wife surprised me when she said she'd like for us to get a new car, and my wife specifically wanted a Toyota because a friend of ours has had a Toyota a long time and has put about 350,000 miles on and it's still running great, so I started doing research on various Toyota models and figured their plug-in hybrid wasn't much more than the regular model car we might had chose, so why not.

I realize gas prices are low right now, but it would not surprise me if some conflict in the world later sends gas prices soaring in the other direction, but regardless of gas prices it's still a great car.

I got an email from our car salesman today - he sent the VIN number and said he (hopefully) expects the car to get to the dealership sometime next week !!!!

I'll post a pic of it in our driveway after we get it, then later on after we've had a chance to drive it a while I'll post what we think of it.

I was just thinking - good thing we got the outdoor outlet in when we did last week !

…..definitely easier to plug the car into an outdoor outlet since we don't have a garage ! :lol:

Well, we brought home our new 2020 Prius Prime XLE from the dealership last night, still a lot to learn with all the tech stuff, but it sure is super neat !!!!

I'll post more about it likely after a few days or longer after I've had a chance to try out the various tech stuff and drive it more, but it is a FUN car ! :D

Our new Prime at home !
2020_Prius_Prime_at_home.jpg

Congrats man, nice looking car!
When you get a chance let me know how far you can go on pure electric without the engine even running. I understand if you are easy on the pedal and it is low speed the gas engine won't even start...

Congrats man, nice looking car!
When you get a chance let me know how far you can go on pure electric without the engine even running. I understand if you are easy on the pedal and it is low speed the gas engine won't even start...

Thanks zeemang !

You might be thing about the non-plug-in regular Prius hybrid, this is a Prius Prime which can be plugged in to recharge the battery and has the option of running on electric-only no matter even if you drive at a faster speed.

Actually when you first start the car up it starts in EV mode which uses electric only, (even up to about 80 mph according to Toyota)

You actually have to choose a "Hybrid" mode for it to use both electric and gas. (unless you let the battery drain too low, then it will go on hybrid mode also)

Toyota states the "electric only" driving range as 25 miles, but I am thinking that might be the minimum you can expect. I have read posts from other Prime drivers on a Prime forum with some of them saying they can get around 30-35 miles on electric only.

I think part of the extra miles depends on your driving habits, if you travel up a lot of hills, if it is excessively cold outside (extreme cold might keep it closer to 25 miles).

It may take us a while to fully realize the full range we get on electric only as it's hard to resist topping off the charge instead of letting go all the way down :lol:

Maybe I can check the mileage after running the battery down about halfway and get a basic idea later.

We live in a small town and rarely travel long distance to the nearest city about 25 miles away, so most of our travel will be electric only doing local driving.

Last edited:
Well, we brought home our new 2020 Prius Prime XLE from the dealership last night, still a lot to learn with all the tech stuff, but it sure is super neat !!!!

I'll post more about it likely after a few days or longer after I've had a chance to try out the various tech stuff and drive it more, but it is a FUN car ! :D

Our new Prime at home !
View attachment 466926

Nice looking car , hope you get to drive it.:laughing:

Nice looking car , hope you get to drive it.:laughing:

:laughing:

Well. we do consider it "our" car and is in both our names, my wife might drive it a little more than me, maybe about 60/40, she plans on driving the Kia to work at night as it is only a 2 mile commute and will help the Kia stay okay from being used and not sitting all the time, and use the Prime for daytime running.

It's unusual but neat driving in all-electric mode with no engine sound :shock: :lol:

:laughing:

Well. we do consider it "our" car and is in both our names, my wife might drive it a little more than me, maybe about 60/40, she plans on driving the Kia to work at night as it is only a 2 mile commute and will help the Kia stay okay from being used and not sitting all the time, and use the Prime for daytime running.

It's unusual but neat driving in all-electric mode with no engine sound :shock: :lol:

Will she let your detecting gear in it.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom