No Clue, Help Please

MKW

I found this little brass buckle-looking thing yesterday at an old home site. Obviously, it is broken and there was more to it, but what is there has me baffled. It is very intricately made and seems to be over-engineered for a normal buckle.
Any help??

Attachments

• IMG_0954 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0954 (Small).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0955 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0955 (Small).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0956 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0956 (Small).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 655
Thinking maybe part of the tightening mechanism of a come-along, or strap system.

Afternoon Walter. That thing is the size of a quarter. It sure is a heavy duty little thing. Maybe something for a bridle or the like. May have been plated at one time. Cool little piece though. Maybe a heavy duty traveling satchel.

Man, I feel like I’ve seen something like this before. The swivel is very crude looking. The piece with the teeth looks very familiar though. If it comes to me I’ll post back. Good luck.

I agree..beefy looking too.. I’m thinking from military equipment..backpack maybe

yeah, backpack strap stop is good thinking!

Just checked my Vietnam era surplus backpack..no match, but I think I have seen that buckle on something military at the surplus depots... I can’t recall what it was on though...

I agree, it’s a buckle of some kind from a small strap. I’m guessing a pin is missing from both ends. Probably a cloth strap which rotted away leaving only the metal. Question is why are the pins missing? Maybe the cloth strap held onto more moisture and the two pins on the ends rusted away.
The remaining pins are the most interesting parts. They are very crudely made and probably would not have survived much stress. It would be interesting to find out how far back this goes.

Back
Top Bottom