• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ATP 5"X 8" Coil

wvdave107

Elite Member
Just started detecting in July. Have seen a lot about the 5x8 coil for the ATP. My question is, is the 5x8 going to make a difference? I assume in trashy areas it would...Have a birthday coming up and it's on my list....Still learning my machine...Haven't been able to get out for 2-3 week...Would I be better off mastering the stock coil, or should I take the plunge? HH

The 5x8 makes a huge difference , not only in heavy trash but anywhere. Its lighter , separates targets better , seems a little more accurate , and makes pinpointing easier. You lose a little depth when you step down to the smaller size but many of use consider it acceptable , given the benefits of the smaller coil. When you need a little more depth just put the stock coil back on. Its also always good to go back over ground you have already hunted with a different sized coil , sometimes one picks up things that another missed for one reason or another.

^ yep, I'd get one.

When I had my ATP i had the stock and 5x8..I used the 5x8 more than the stock but I hunt in a lot of trashy/nail filled spots normally.

I'd have both available.

I love the 5X8. Used the stock coil for about a year. I still use it for large areas but everywhere else is the 5X8.

BCD

The difference in the nose weight alone will probably keep your stock coil on the shelf for years to come. I used an AT pro for about 4 years and the 5x8 almost never came off except for dry sand hunting at the beach. It's an awesome coil and will pay for itself in short time.

Appreciate all the input. Sounds like I'm going to be getting a new coil in a few weeks...LOL. Hopefully, things will slow a bit and I get out and do some diggin'...Thank for the comments. All are very much appreciated:cheers:

I use the 5" x 8" coil often, In fact, it stays on my AT Gold permanently, usually for relic hunting. I did a coil comparison a few years back (air test) to show it's maximum potential. The results show it ain't no slouch either compared to the 8.5" x 11" DD or 9" x 12" concentric coil.

Attachments

• ggrraphdonealllllll_zpsf2cad769.jpg
    ggrraphdonealllllll_zpsf2cad769.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 502
  • TRUEALLMETALMODEVS a.jpg
    TRUEALLMETALMODEVS a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 213
I got the two coil combo...sold the stock coil the next day, never took the 5x8 off my at pro, and it detects coins to 8 inches deep, which is about the deepest I dig coins with any detector, so it performs excellent in my soil!

The difference in the nose weight alone will probably keep your stock coil on the shelf for years to come. I used an AT pro for about 4 years and the 5x8 almost never came off except for dry sand hunting at the beach. It's an awesome coil and will pay for itself in short time.

^^^^^
Exactamundo I love the 5by8 it very rarely comes off!

I remember my AT Gold with the 5x8 and didn't feel gimped by running it, at all.

Most of those sites were eeking out CW relics with 150 years of other bits mixed in.

The accuracy will be better on the target ID, for a couple of reasons.

1), more likely to only cover one target.
2) The amount of field data is "less" making the processing very efficient. (for example, large coils will false easier in sand, and won't grand-balance as easily, due to the extra data being processed).
3) There's a cost to a large coil, just as there is a cost to a small one: you'll get far less coverage with a 5x8 coil. This may, or may not work in your favor. If you're spending too much time trying to separate targets, it'll cost you in volume of targets recovered. Likewise, you may improve your target separation, but it'll cost you in amount of ground covered. Trashy environments, the 5x8 is better than others, in less target rich environments, the larger coils will find more, simply because they'll cover more ground.
4) Your arm won't wear out nearly as fast... 5x8 is a lightweight! If you were to move to a larger coil (such as the NEL hunter or NEL Thunder), you'll cover LOTS more ground, but the cost to your arm and shoulder is significantly more noticeable. If you're a casual hunter, lighter weight coils may improve your total experience, simply because you can hunt a bit longer, (Which ends up with roughly the same coverage). If you hunt lots, for longer periods, you may find your finds rate goes down with the smaller coil.

Ultimately, it comes down to enjoyment. You can find happiness with either size coil, and both will work. Try it out, and if it doesn't work, as you've no doubt noticed, there's a market for the smaller coils. :)

Cheers,

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom