A Slight Disappointment

Dirty Nails

Elite Member
I'm a clad guy because that's all I've ever found. After a week of rain I was at the sandy/grassy/gravel perimeter of a gas station & convenience store at 6 AM. Despite the sun, humidity, gnats and fireants, I dug for three hours before the dizziness got too strong and I had to quit. Here's my haul: a minimal amount of junk, one quarter, and FOURTY-FOUR pennies. That was a lot of digging.

Attachments

• Aug 4 Clad.jpg
    Aug 4 Clad.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Hang in there, it will happen...My first find was a bent rusty nail that I found with a borrowed metal detector....I was hooked, I was amazed that a machine could find anything under the dirt...I bought my own the next day. How it all came about was I went to a job site and noticed a detector in a guys truck and I asked if they really worked, He showed me how to use it and I was swinging it by his truck and it started beeping and he said there is something metal down there...I dug it up and there was the nail...

Don't ever feel disappointment in your finds. We all started the same way. It takes time to learn your machine and to research your sites for the type of targets your going after. If you stay at this hobby time and effort will yield a little treasure. Trapper

We have all been there! Just keep at it, you will find good stuff!

Thanks!

Don't ever feel disappointment in your finds. We all started the same way. It takes time to learn your machine and to research your sites for the type of targets your going after. If you stay at this hobby time and effort will yield a little treasure. Trapper

Thanks Trapper. Yeah, I've learned my machine and I do decent research and such...I just happened to find a ton of pennies during this hunt.

Hang in there, it will happen...My first find was a bent rusty nail that I found with a borrowed metal detector....I was hooked, I was amazed that a machine could find anything under the dirt...I bought my own the next day. How it all came about was I went to a job site and noticed a detector in a guys truck and I asked if they really worked, He showed me how to use it and I was swinging it by his truck and it started beeping and he said there is something metal down there...I dug it up and there was the nail...

Thanks for the support.

You did real good! Clad and diligence is a very good foundation to build upon for future success!....Properly dealing with disappointment is a big part of Life... Clad, junk, uncomfortable conditions, and unmet expectations are all a part of being a happy Human! ..with kids especially...I think overall, as a Human, you had a GREAT day comparatively! :laughing:

They seem to be hard for me to find sometimes but I've changed the places I hunt and it has been much better success!! I would think even if it was an old gas station it would have so much junk it would be hard to find silver. What other places do you detect?

You did real good! Clad and diligence is a very good foundation to build upon for future success!....Properly dealing with disappointment is a big part of Life... Clad, junk, uncomfortable conditions, and unmet expectations are all a part of being a happy Human! ..with kids especially...I think overall, as a Human, you had a GREAT day comparatively! :laughing:

Thanks Mud - I always appreciate and value your comments.

They seem to be hard for me to find sometimes but I've changed the places I hunt and it has been much better success!! I would think even if it was an old gas station it would have so much junk it would be hard to find silver. What other places do you detect?

Due to my location, I'm a beach, parks, playground, tot lot, and outdoor sports complex hunter. I occasionally hunt the sidewalks leading to some of the aforementioned gas stations too. Granted I've only been doing this since February, but I've learned a lot and I've applied it to my research. For instance, I've proven my theory that the approach areas (parking lots, walk-ways and paths - areas where people handle their keys, phones and pockets) are often more productive than the actual beach or park hunt areas. The gas station area that I hunted was shockingly clean so it's possible that another detectorist has hunted the area. Lastly, around here, I truly can't go into the woods due to the snakes, bears, and gators - I'm not a wildlife hunter so I have a healthy fear and respect of those animals.

I'm a clad guy because that's all I've ever found. After a week of rain I was at the sandy/grassy/gravel perimeter of a gas station & convenience store at 6 AM. Despite the sun, humidity, gnats and fireants, I dug for three hours before the dizziness got too strong and I had to quit. Here's my haul: a minimal amount of junk, one quarter, and FOURTY-FOUR pennies. That was a lot of digging.

Hey, at least it's something! I've had plenty of hour filled days with literally ZERO finds!! Always have to count your blessings!

Due to my location, I'm a beach, parks, playground, tot lot, and outdoor sports complex hunter. I occasionally hunt the sidewalks leading to some of the aforementioned gas stations too. Granted I've only been doing this since February, but I've learned a lot and I've applied it to my research. For instance, I've proven my theory that the approach areas (parking lots, walk-ways and paths - areas where people handle their keys, phones and pockets) are often more productive than the actual beach or park hunt areas. The gas station area that I hunted was shockingly clean so it's possible that another detectorist has hunted the area. Lastly, around here, I truly can't go into the woods due to the snakes, bears, and gators - I'm not a wildlife hunter so I have a healthy fear and respect of those animals.

I see. Well if you are finding Wheaties you should be finding silver coins, so it may be like many of the places I hunt. Many of the old timers use to dig only the really good strong signals that they knew would be a large silver. That's why I mainly find silver dimes and every once in a while I'll find a quarter. Still waiting on that silver half and the very hard to find silver dollar. Best of luck to you!

We all have hunts like yours. I went to a new site last night, got eaten by bugs and rained on. I ended up with $ 3.43 in clads and a scrap ring. I expected to find more but it was not to be. I'll go back when the weather is cooler and no bugs. Hang in and keep plugging !!!

. Lastly, around here, I truly can't go into the woods due to the snakes, bears, and gators - I'm not a wildlife hunter so I have a healthy fear and respect of those animals.

I am a wildlife hunter. I grew up spending as much time in the forests of Indiana as I could. I consider myself an outdoorsman, except in Florida, those woods are spooky in the daytime, at night they are terrifying.
I have a lot of irrational fears in Florida, between snakes, alligators, and sharks somethings going to kill you. You can go in the woods, people have been doing it for thousands of years and most of them lived. Detecting you move slow and make a lot of noise anyway, so the critters will get out of your way, most of them. I'd be the guy in snake boots and chaps while the natives are in shorts and flip-flops, but I'd be there. A healthy but rational fear and respect of wildlife and a little education on how to act in the area is all you need to hunt anywhere.

I think you had a great day! Shows me you know your detector enough to pick good signals not to mention (as said earlier) one of those pennies could have been a fat gold ring. You have to dig those tones if you're wanting one.

This October will be a year for me and I think by your year mark you will have many great finds. I remember the beginning months being a little tough too because I saw all these posts of people finding things that I wasn't but lots of that is location.

Keep in mind, one of those pennies could've been a chunky gold ring! You never know...;)

Very true.

We all have hunts like yours. I went to a new site last night, got eaten by bugs and rained on. I ended up with $ 3.43 in clads and a scrap ring. I expected to find more but it was not to be. I'll go back when the weather is cooler and no bugs. Hang in and keep plugging !!!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am a wildlife hunter. I grew up spending as much time in the forests of Indiana as I could. I consider myself an outdoorsman, except in Florida, those woods are spooky in the daytime, at night they are terrifying. I have a lot of irrational fears in Florida, between snakes, alligators, and sharks somethings going to kill you. You can go in the woods, people have been doing it for thousands of years and most of them lived. Detecting you move slow and make a lot of noise anyway, so the critters will get out of your way, most of them. I'd be the guy in snake boots and chaps while the natives are in shorts and flip-flops, but I'd be there. A healthy but rational fear and respect of wildlife and a little education on how to act in the area is all you need to hunt anywhere.

There's way too many easy areas to hunt down here before considering a trip into the woods.

Yea man... that's a thought to make you shiver :shock:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Weather permitting, I'll be back at it bright and early Saturday morning. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom