6 Days of hunting the Wheat Yard...

Cfmct

Administrator
Admin
Forum Supporter
6 days worth of dirt finds... Last year I got permission to hunt a 1800's property... its been nothing but amazing... most properties have been hit by someone over the years... I have pulled 68 wheat pennies, 9 silver: 3 Barber dimes, 2 Rosie dimes, 2 Merc dimes and 2 War Nickels... and a large assortment of relics.. plus some clad... I probably have half the yard still to hunt.. I have been hitting it with my MXT in relic mode with my favorite 8x6 coil... at the end of the year I plan on hitting the bottle dump which is in the woods... I plan on hitting it until I can't hear anymore good targets... no sense leaving anything but ferrous targets for someone else :)

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 349
Wow, some great stuff there.
Next is dig some of that iron, these can also be good finds at an old site.

Last edited:
Congrats on the awesome finds. I really like the variety of things you found. Coins are great no doubt, but the other stuff can be just as special.

68 wheats is ridiculous:lol: Congrats on the Indians, old nickels, silvers, especially the Barbers...lead toys, lead seals, buttons and all the rest of the relics Craig, that's been a excellent spot for you so far!

Wow lots of great finds there! Thats the kind of hunt we all dream of!

Thanks Land... its a lot of kneeling to dig each target... the landowner wanted no shovels and I showed him the Lesche digger I use.. he said.. oh its like a knife... ;)

Excellent variety of find!

Thanks Detector

Makes me want to spend more time at my 1800’s permission!

Thanks Wloch

Congrats on all the many nice finds. You found enough to open an antique store.

Thanks Jak... my last 3 permissions have been skunks.. someone must have beaten me to any finds.. there was literally nothing worth finding on any of them..

There be some very nice hunting going on. Real nice variety of digs Craig. Congrats on The Silver's and all the rest. Trapper

Thanks Trapper.. silver is nice but I dig everything because I enjoy the discovery no matter what it is.. :yes:

Wow, some great stuff there.
Next is dig some of that iron, these can also be good finds at an old site.
Thanks Waltr.. I dig iron at times.. that is how I found a cannon ball a few years ago..

Congrats on the awesome finds. I really like the variety of things you found. Coins are great no doubt, but the other stuff can be just as special.

Thanks Longbow and I agree..

68 wheats is ridiculous:lol: Congrats on the Indians, old nickels, silvers, especially the Barbers...lead toys, lead seals, buttons and all the rest of the relics Craig, that's been a excellent spot for you so far!

Thanks Bruce... I know there is more wheats there in fact I didn't count the 20 I gave to the homeowner or the 1 silver dime I found on the first hunt... I don't think he wants the stuff though because he left it in the bag on his porch so maybe when I am done hunting the property I will grab them along with the crotal bell and a few other relics I left for him.

Nice, man! I have a permission like that for a house built in 1893. It's pretty much cleaned out now, but I found at least 40–50 wheats and 11 silver coins, including a Barber spill, plus some jewelry.

Nice, man! I have a permission like that for a house built in 1893. It's pretty much cleaned out now, but I found at least 40–50 wheats and 11 silver coins, including a Barber spill, plus some jewelry.

Thanks Jodo... I believe mine is 1858 it had fill added to parts of it but I think that was done in the 1930's because most of wheats are from that area alot of yard is still natural and unhunted.. every sweep I still have multiple targets and its just having the time and energy to recover them.. with all the holes the homeowner still can find any... I'm very neat and usually only dig a 3 inch hole anyway... I laugh at some who need to dig craters on properties to recover targets... ;)

That's a lot of great finds from one property, you probably have high hopes for the rest of the site. Well done :thumbsup:

Thanks Sand.. I know the history of the property and the famous person who lived there and I will leave it at that :D

Craig, cant wait for the your finds on the other 1/2 of that property, great job on the silver, relics , and wheats, Earl

Thanks Earl... there is so much of the property buried under yard waster I will never be able to hunt it all... I'm not moving feet deep of leaves and brush so I am sticking with the acre of lawn surface only... the yard is infested with ticks and other things... I use Sawyers on my clothes and 40% deet for the skeeters and black flies they still bite though.. its miserable there.. property is in a wet area bugs love it there... but I will keep hunting it :) I may try my SEF 13 inch but I am doing so well with my small 8x6 I don't want to change as the iron is heavy...

Wow, that's a ton of old goodies!

Congrats on getting out, and the collection of loot!

<°)))>{

The

Sef 8x6 was one of my favorate coils on the Etrac, try the Sef 10x12, that coil ran very , stable , good depth, even seperated way better than the stock coil, happy hunting.

Wow, that's a ton of old goodies!

Congrats on getting out, and the collection of loot!

<°)))>{

Thanks Jim... I'm not done yet... still a lot of the yard to hunt... was telling Bruce every sweep of the coil shows multiple targets with good VDI's what I am scratching my head about is where are the large cents and more period targets... you would think with Barbers and IH pennies I should be able to find a large cent...

What an outstanding haul! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dirty... I probably have another 2 weeks worth of digging there... its just a matter of getting my work done so I can play after work :)

Cool finds

Thanks Dirt History..

Sef 8x6 was one of my favorate coils on the Etrac, try the Sef 10x12, that coil ran very , stable , good depth, even seperated way better than the stock coil, happy hunting.

Earl.. I hated the 10x12 SEF on my GT.. I have a 13 inch Detech coil and will try that one...

Fantastic digs! Glad to see you’re not just cherry picking. The old relics on those early properties can be amazing. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom